Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

What dya know about PSP s?

1K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  tylerama 
#1 ·
I am in Hong Kong til tomorrow and these things are 1, available(!) here and 2. a little bit, (not as much as I thought) cheaper too.

BUT, they are all asia region, ie region 3.

I am told UK and US are region 1. japan region 2, and asia 3. Preumably the rest of the world, (Oz, SA, Wales) are not important enough to even have them, never mind a region!

Anyway, does anyone have a HK import one? Guy at the shop, Sony centre and Toys r us, says that despite what the games boxes say, ALL games will play on ALL machines, BUT the little movie dics you can get, will not. So only region 3 on HK spec machines, and region 1 on UK /US machines. BUT they said that you can download movies onto a memory stick and again they will play irrespective of region.

Firmware on board is 1.5,1. I have read somewhere that 1.50 is the "best" and you can get a downgrade from 2.0 for free online or a quid off ebay! But I dont knwo much about these things although I have a real hankering for one, as do 2 of my mates!

So for a value pack for HK$1700, (about ?130) is it worth a buy? if I can use UK games great, but even if not they are available in HK and on ebay for cheapish money.

Warranty will be return to HK, so pretyt much none then!!

But if the movie thing is an issue, or if I can only watch spiderman 2 in chinese, then I may not bother.

So, tell me what dya know, ref regions, downloads, firmware etc etc!! Quick responses especially helpful as I fly back v late tomorrow!

Cheers

See less See more
#5 ·
I've got a jap psp (version 1.50) and it will play UK umds, this version is region free so will play anything. I would go for this version if you can get it, as some others have said you can play ripped games from a memory stick. There is loads of 'homebrew' out there to play on them.

#6 ·
But I did read that this
supposed bit of software to downgrade it, is in fact a malcious bit
software that makes the psp unuseable.
I downgraded a friends uk psp from ver 2.00 to version 1.50 and put a
game loader on it. He then brought a 1gb memory stick and started
d/loading the games from bittorrent. He know has almost every availble
psp game on his pc and loads which ones he wants to play on the memory
stick as and when. This has be running for about 6 weeks now without a
hitch.

Just make sure it is not firmware version 2.01 as i dont know if this
one can be done as sony closed the hole which made it possible.

#7 ·
This is bizarre.. I wsa about to post the same question myself.  Wanna get one cheaper as my dad lives in hk so can get me em.  So, do the hk consoles play the uk games ?  Personally speaking, i'm not bothered about watching movies on a tiny screen, would rather watch it on telly at home. But the games however is another matter !  If they do play the uk games, then i'll get one.

#8 ·
Tell your old man to buy one tonight, slip it in a condom, and I will smuggle it in for you on Saturday!

Oooooohhhh, me chalfonts are swellin just thinkin about it!![:O]

Jap versions are region 2 form what I can find. Which version (region) is the UK model?

HK region 3 ones come with V1.51. You can (i believe) upgrade to 2.0 for free, then back down to 1.5, but is this correct?

All games apparently work with all consoles, all the transformers are 110-240 v automatically, so no problem there. But the movies would be cool, they are pretty cheap.

On play asia .com, there are some very strange (cough adult!) movies too!! But if you are holding the PSP with two hands, how does that all work.........?!!?! lol

I am coming round to the jap version too, but they are more pricey and I will get stung for import duties if I order one form there.

What about US ones, which region are they? There are a few places doing US ones over here..??!

#10 ·
Tell your old man to buy one tonight, slip it in a condom, and I will smuggle it in for you on Saturday!

Oooooohhhh, me chalfonts are swellin just thinkin about it!![:O]

Jap versions are region 2 form what I can find. Which version (region) is the UK model?

HK region 3 ones come with V1.51. You can (i believe) upgrade to 2.0 for free, then back down to 1.5, but is this correct?

All games apparently work with all consoles, all the transformers are 110-240 v automatically, so no problem there. But the movies would be cool, they are pretty cheap.

On play asia .com, there are some very strange (cough adult!) movies too!! But if you are holding the PSP with two hands, how does that all work.........?!!?! lol

I am coming round to the jap version too, but they are more pricey and I will get stung for import duties if I order one form there.

What about US ones, which region are they? There are a few places doing US ones over here..??!
LMAO - Chalfonts as in Chalfont St. Giles as in Farmer Giles as in .. yeah ya get me right ?!?!

I need to get him to do some trips round the shops over there to find out what the deal is.

I guess ya balance it on ya knee mate.... [H][:)]

#16 ·
HK$1780 at Toys R Us! Price dropped form 2 grand last week, (yee hee!) (200$ sounds like a cause for celebration, but as you probly know its about ?15 only!!)

The currency here is weird, you can have a wad full of folding, and yet cannot get a sarny with it. But you can spend an hour going somewhere in a cab for 200$. that's only ?14!

#17 ·
HK$1780 at Toys R Us! Price dropped form 2 grand last week, (yee hee!) (200$ sounds like a cause for celebration, but as you probly know its about ?15 only!!)

The currency here is weird, you can have a wad full of folding, and yet cannot get a sarny with it. But you can spend an hour going somewhere in a cab for 200$. that's only ?14!
Hehe.. yeah the prices out there are crazy eh ! Is that toys r us in hk then ? I'll get him to go there. He's bound to know where it is as he works for a toy company over there, so musta been there before. will have to get on the blower to him, I think.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.