Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just saw on the other web site, for the pictures of the new "GT" models. There is a new button called "W on", any one knows what does it do?

·
Registered
178 Posts
From the text in the article (on GermanCarFans.com) it would appear that it's for 'Winter Driving Program'

As a GTi owner I'm pretty happy that the look of the GT is sufficiently
different to the GTi - looks the same from the back but from the front
the lack of a honeycomb grill and blacked out headlights really does
make a difference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah - you got me - I never read the text...

I really wish someone would sell me that switch, I can use it to switch between ipod and CD changer....

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
This is the new drag race score-keeping feature, when you beat the other guy you press "W ON", when he kicks your butt you flip the ashtray cover and press the "L OST" button. To see your current score on the dash there will be a new "T OTAL" button on the indicator stalk. The odd spacings will disappear once Wolfsburg's printing department removes the space jammed in its letter moulds.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
You're all wrong, it's for the new Karate Kid special edition Golf to commerate that it's been a long while since the film was released...W obviously standing for Wax, the special feature incorporated into this edition.

Other extras include VW imbossed chop sticks instead of the bottle opener and a bonsai tree on the parcel shelf.

EDIT - God, Friday's are boring!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Sorry to be sensible but it's late on a Friday and my brain isn't working. However, I believe its the Winter Driving Mode - it reduces the torque generated by the engine at low revs to make it easier to pull away in slippery conditions.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry to be sensible but it's late on a Friday
and my brain isn't working. However, I believe its the Winter Driving
Mode - it reduces the torque generated by the engine at low revs to
make it easier to pull away in slippery conditions.
Really? ; )

·
Registered
81 Posts
i asked dealer and they said its not that simple to connect the button to somthing else.. would need to buy looms etc too.

if any1 knows any better then let us know!!

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
bumped an old thread!!lol

ha, does anyone know where i can read more info on this in the handbook? as its extra iccy out there i would like to take advantage of my W button!!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Just to add, I never use it.

Just use your foot and head and adjust power to the road conditions. 'Winter' mode gives a horrible turbo laggy jerk around 2,500 - 2,800 rpm. If its wet/snow and you put your foot down, your just going to be amazed by FWD performance ;o)

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have used the "w" over the last few days it did help me get up a icy slope it does not really help much on snow , plus on snow i tend to turn off the esp (only on empty carparks though) to do a few donuts :) :)

·
Chief Troll
15,990 Posts
Just to add, I never use it.

Just use your foot and head and adjust power to the road conditions. 'Winter' mode gives a horrible turbo laggy jerk around 2,500 - 2,800 rpm. If its wet/snow and you put your foot down, your just going to be amazed by FWD performance ;o)
Ive been happy with mine... it works perfectly on mine and keeps my car dead straight and accelerates... love it!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts