Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I have just been looking on a few sites and I came across a few ov them and it got me thinking, with my mkiv almost finished ( re spray in 3 weeks then will get a build thread up ) I would get another mkiv and get everyone one on here to help do a rat by posting what I should do, that sort ov thing.

what do you all think cheers John.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know mate, seen a few mk2 and 3 just not seen any mk4, I just thought to my self what it would look like with every one on here saying what do to the car lol

·
Registered
842 Posts
My 2nd car was a rat look mk1 pug 106 back in 2008 before that style got "popular"

Good fun and looked pretty tough in Matt black

Didnt even know it was called 'rat look' - too busy having fun with it and messing around.

Can't get away with it on modern cars, gotta be early 90's or older to pull it off

·
Registered
842 Posts
Scrap that, I say go for it.

Too many "show n' shine" cars about - would be good to see one with the paint stripped off - Rust is lighter than carbon fibre etc!

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
In context it looks great,which is 1950s surfers style cars.The look comes from them being always parked on or near the beach and so exposed to salt spray from the sea for long periods,and the fact they were too lazy to work and couldn't afford to get their cars fixed.They were hated by the hot rodders of the same era with their nice shiney model Ts etc,which I can understand.
It looks too stupid for words on modern cars,such as just a rusty bonnet on an otherwise standard Focus or Corsa,but on cars that would be from that era such as Karman Ghias then I can't see a problem with it.

Like this......

But can anyone see what makes this an oxymoron? I mean cleaning a rat look car

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
[quote user="imustbedreamin"]

a mkiv isn't old enough to pull it off imo.

[/quote]

I see mark 4s now that pull it off VERY well just because the owners are too fecking lazy to clean them more than once in 3 years

·
Registered
814 Posts
It ain't for me. Cars that have genuinely earnt their battle scars and aged gracefully yes. But those which are artificially made rusty is just criminal in my mind. Worse by those spending big money on good cars then exposing them to this treatment.

Most cars that are rats just look like rusty buckets rather than aged

·
Registered
873 Posts
[quote user="Imagewerx"]

[/quote]

I see mark 4s now that pull it off VERY well just because the owners are too fecking lazy to clean them more than once in 3 years

[/quote]

thats not "rat look"......thats "[email protected] look"...........huge difference

·
Shell's best customer
3,227 Posts
[quote user="Imagewerx"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Guilty.

·
has been
7,414 Posts
i hope that mk4 on streetcovers gets towed everywere, what a death trap. THESE are the cars which will contribute to the end of car modifation.

i've scrapped better cars than that.

nothing more than attention seeking, it looks crap, is unsafe and tried too hard. mostly 'rat look' is for those who cannot do a proper job or can't afford a decent paint job.

anything built after 1980 and 'forced rat' is trying waaaay to hard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.