Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5404730.stm

Councils are now talking about charging people for the amount of waste they produce, a chip will be placed inside the bin and it will be weighed by the bin men, then you will be charged accordingly... whats to stop people putting waste in bins belonging to other people, how do they know if the scales are correctly calibrated, and surely this will lead to an increase in fly tipping..... This country gets worse and worse!

·
Registered
873 Posts
They brought this up on Richard and Judy a while ago. They've already done it to some places with out asking. thousands of people have taken them off out of disgust. check yours, you might have one already. Its a circular disk placed in a circular recess under the bit that sticks out at the front. The ones i saw are black.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Shiuming, they can do and they will.

2 years ago they stopped picking up rubbish every week and made it two weeks. The council tax went up 13% in the same year....so i like this bit:

"Mr Bettison believes that if people want to keep weekly collections of all household waste they will have to face the reality that it is going to cost them"

Erm, so what are you taking from me every month!?

If they did impose these 'weigh and spend' systems, would council tax go down!? not on your...

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
They brought this up on Richard and Judy a while ago. They've already done it to some places with out asking. thousands of people have taken them off out of disgust. check yours, you might have one already. Its a circular disk placed in a circular recess under the bit that sticks out at the front. The ones i saw are black.
Like here. Though apparently its a tracking chip for the bin rather than anything else.

I live in one of thousands of flats here with communal rubbish areas anyway so would never affect me thankfully..

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
We pay taxes for public sector workers........ doesnt matter if they have nothing todo... it saves them sitting on the dole, oh and they get more money.

This government is a joke, we now have more than 50% of people work for the public sector, how long can our economy survive this???? this is why taxes have to monstrous as effectively only 46% of us are earning and paying taxes that are not already gleaned from taxpayers.

WE ARE riding for a fall.. and its Labours fault.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Yet more Stealth Taxing [:mad:]

My Council Tax has gone up & up every year, when I moved in to my house 9yr is was £460 a year, its now £1020 [:mad:]

I recycle the following :

Paper

Card

Tins

Glass

Garden

Plastics

The only stuff which goes in the normal bin is food wasite & the odd bits & bobs like poly bags etc.

What grates me is that a lot of this so called "Recycled" material doesnt even get recycled, it gets shipped to overseas land fills or to china to burn as fuel.

2p

·
Registered
586 Posts
I just don't get the mindset of the some people (who does?)

They seem to look at a problem, say pollution / recycling and come up with good ideas or are give targets e.g. more people using public transport or increace recycling.

All good so far, then they sit their fat butts at a table and fart, drool and grumble over the best way to implement the measures.

The answer always seems to be, charge them more for the way they do it just now. Too many people using their own cars, lets charge them off the roads, increase road tax, increase fuel tax! Not enough recycling, lets charge them more for dumping their rubbish!

Its just twisted, it just makes people anti-government, why not work together to make this a better country instead of screwing us over at every opportunity. How about trying to change the mindset of people instead of what the government think is the quick alternative, hitting us in the pocket!

OOOHhhhhh, I'm just getting angry now, going for a cuppa!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I think the idea is to force people to recycle more, so that the more they recycle, the less goes in the non recyclable and therefore people will pay less.

But I agree, it is open to abuse and will not be popular.

Tbh, recycling takes me about ten mins a week.

We recycle (although we STILL don't have any recycling bins just a normal black one) paper, cardboard, glass, plastic, metal, drinks cans, foil and garden waste. Very little goes in the "normal" bin.

Our local council think they are so good cos they are introducing wheelie bins (they fail to recognise that the rest of the country has had em for years !) and the fuss in the local paper cos people will have to sort their rubbish .. honestly you'd think they were gonna close all the shops EVERYWHERE or something, it's pathetic.

It is also open to abuse like them selling it to china to burn or taking it abroad, if only it was recycled locally more often.

·
Super Moderator
15,990 Posts
these bin chips are already in place where i work ( Woking Borough Council in Surrey ). Where I live, they are not but they keep ranting on about recycling - I've lived in my house 2.5 years and now pay more than £1500 pa in council tax. We have asked 3 times for a recycling bin for bottles / cans and one for papers. Nothing has turned up. If they can't be bothered, nor can I.

From what I can see, I pay £160 p/m for the council to collect my wheelie bin from my boundary once a week ( and leave the bin 10 m from my boundary ) and thats about it. They don't cut verges, there are no police patrols ( apart from a helicopter which seems to fly day and f'ing night at HUUUUUUGGGGE expense but for no reason ), they don't repair roads....

Labour eh ? Who voted them in ????[:mad:]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I'm with Andymac, but this country is not riding for a fall, it is riding into meltdown.

Yet another issue that is deemed more important than real issues, ie the NHS, immigration, crime etc, and yet another way to legally squeeze more money out of us.

We HAVE had it enforced on us in the last few months. Bins dropped off, with chips, which they assure us is for tracking the bin to its owner (because theft of wheelie bins is a huge issue...??..) but frankly the council have changed their defence so many times that its a joke, "the manufacturers put them in without our knowledge' to 'they are only for tracking, not monitoring use'. Why are the public constantly fed bullshit?

We have been told that removing this chip will be classed as criminal damage, and removing it may make us liable for arrest, and liable for the £28 to replace it. I know many who already have...

We are also TOLD we have to recycle, and be very specific that the right stuff goes in the right bin. If not, it will not be collected. Blackmail? I have to wash tins out, flat pack beer cans. Both runs a risk of slicing up your hand/fingers...

And NOW, we are told that these chips are to monitor our rubbish. What next, pay per gram? No sharp edges in case our refuse collectors cut themselves? We already have people rummaging through our bins, and our personal and confidential rubbish, and we are already paying obscene amounts to the council for their services...

So where does council tax come into refuse collection?

Another silly idea by some twats in suits, and another wedge between council/government and their people. Thing is, they will genuinely not understand it when people finally revolt, rubbish that is anything other than perfectly laid out is refused, and public roads/parks/areas are awash with piles of smelly and hazardous rubbish and waste that has been flytipped. It will cost more to clean up (at our expense once again) but that will be irrevelant as long as they are seen to be taking an active role in recycling...sod the hassle and passing the cost and inconvenience onto us...

Flytipping will be rife and the place will be a mess. But the idiot who launched the initiative will just resign when it all gets a bit much, get a payoff for stress and disappear to leave everyone else to sort out the mess caused by his crap idea, poor decision and incompetence.

And at the end of it all, how much do you reckon is actually getting recycled...?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I'm with Andymac, but this country is not riding for a fall, it is riding into meltdown.

Yet another issue that is deemed more important than real issues, ie the NHS, immigration, crime etc, and yet another way to legally squeeze more money out of us.

We HAVE had it enforced on us in the last few months. Bins dropped off, with chips, which they assure us is for tracking the bin to its owner (because theft of wheelie bins is a huge issue...??..) but frankly the council have changed their defence so many times that its a joke, "the manufacturers put them in without our knowledge' to 'they are only for tracking, not monitoring use'. Why are the public constantly fed bullshit?

We have been told that removing this chip will be classed as criminal damage, and removing it may make us liable for arrest, and liable for the £28 to replace it. I know many who already have...

We are also TOLD we have to recycle, and be very specific that the right stuff goes in the right bin. If not, it will not be collected. Blackmail? I have to wash tins out, flat pack beer cans. Both runs a risk of slicing up your hand/fingers...

And NOW, we are told that these chips are to monitor our rubbish. What next, pay per gram? No sharp edges in case our refuse collectors cut themselves? We already have people rummaging through our bins, and our personal and confidential rubbish, and we are already paying obscene amounts to the council for their services...

Another silly idea by some twats in suits, and another wedge between council/government and their people. Thing is, they will genuinely not understand it when people finally revolt, rubbish that is anything other than perfectly laid out is refused, and public roads/parks/areas are awash with piles of smelly and hazardous rubbish and waste that has been flytipped. It will cost more to clean up (at our expense once again) but that will be irrevelant as long as they are seen to be taking an active role in recycling...sod the hassle and passing the cost and inconvenience onto us...

Flytipping will be rife and the place will be a mess. But the idiot who launched the initiative will just resign when it all gets a bit much, get a payoff for stress and disappear to leave everyone else to sort out the mess caused by his crap idea, poor decision and incompetence.

And at the end of it all, how much do you reckon is actually getting recycled...?
That deserves a standing ovation. Send a copy into the Council, the rags and the BBC!

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

That deserves a standing ovation. Send a copy into the Council, the rags and the BBC!
Here Here!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Cheers guys. Just airing the views of many and what I sensibly deem will be the implications. A similar letter has already been forwarded to Chief Chump at the council and I am awaiting his PA's templated response...(which will take a while as no doubt they will have to go through their dictionary to see what the big words mean...)

On a similar note, missed a blinding chance on Monday. Missus is sat in her office in town centre Bournemouth. Who walks past the window in a scrum of press...David Cameron....

"Oi, whats your policy on saving this country from meltdown..."

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
on the flip side, this governemnt have not produced a single database without cocking it up and spending billions, no doubt it will be another white elephant IT contract

1 - 20 of 39 Posts