Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... the new Renault Scenic?

I think the time has come to get rid of the Golf as it doesn't seem to fit all the bits in that we need to. Bit of a tight fit with all the stuff we need to fit in for the baby, plus it's a 3 door.

We've seen a 54 plate Scenic Dynamic 1.9 dCi 120bhp, 6 speed, aircon, panoramic roof, parking sensors, 17s etc and the Mrs is quite taken with it. We're test driving on Thusday but I thought I'd ask if anyone has had any experiences - good or bad.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
If you still want some poke in your mpv why not a 2004 vauxhall zafira gsi they are suprisingly quite quick as my mates got one (he's got a large family..) he took the lads out for a spin in it.. 7 lads in the car and it was flying but he has got his remapped to 230-240bhp the 0-60 is around 7-8secs which imo is quick for a family car lol..

Sat [y]

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did think of that but the Mrs wants a diesel to keep running costs down.

Looked at the superchips website already and they can chip it to 151 bhp [:D]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I looked around the MPVs with my Mrs when our first bubs was born 18months ago.  The VW was awful - overpriced, underpowered, poor interior finish and looked poor generally.  To cut a long story short we ended up with a Zafira...genius design, costs less and has the advantage of the 7 seats when you need it.  Obviously the new Ford is worth a look but my "fav" is the Toyota Verso - has a new all aluminium diesel which produces good figures and isn't as obviously MPV looking as the others.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Matt,

How many miles is the Mrs planning on traveling? I looked at getting Claire a deisel but in the end it wasn't worth it and went with petrol

J.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest we probably won't do that many, 10k per year but I also think it's the car more than anything, it's really been specced up plus she likes the colour!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In that case to hell with what we all think.

J.
It's not like that, I have been put off VW recently with the dealers attitude and I hear more negative stories on here but I would also be put off the Scenic if someone came back with negative comments and said Renault dealer were no better than VW, but obviously I'd need to know the reasons!

I just don't know much about them, I've read a few bits that says they're alright. I was hoping for a "my dads friends bosses dogs aunt had one and it was alright"

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I have no experiences with the Scenic.

Keep the Golf and get the smaller s/h Modus? Drove one for a few days and they're not bad - loads of seat space.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
I don't think you can rely on other peoples experiences.

Peter Coopers in hedge end are slagged off something wrotten and I have had nothing but excellant service from them - the old body shopy was pants though but thats been rectified.

I also used breeze in Shirley and they where brilliant as well.

A lot of people on the audi sport forum slagged of southampton audi, I still bought my a3 from them and have used them since for serivicing. Again excellant service.

Bought Claires new car from Southampton Mercedes even though a collegue of mine has had nothing but trouble from them. Guess what? the service from them has been second to none. Better than audi and VW.

If your happy with the car then go for it. If you don't like your local dealer use another one!

J.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd love to keep the Golf but I can't. Focus is my company car and the old Golf is my trackcar so the turbo has to go as we don't have space (or money) for four cars!!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought Claires new car from Southampton Mercedes even though a collegue of mine has had nothing but trouble from them. Guess what? the service from them has been second to none. Better than audi and VW.

If your happy with the car then go for it. If you don't like your local dealer use another one!
This is true, I guess we'll just see how the test drive goes.

Incidently who was the saleman for the Merc? I have a mate who works for them.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
Peter Coopers in hedge end are slagged off something wrotten and I have had nothing but excellant service from them - the old body shopy was pants though but thats been rectified.
That is just because you are on their "Frequent Car Buyers" scheme, you'll get a Platinum service card with the next VW you buy off them. [:D]

Matt, if it is was the Mrs wants, then go for it at the end of the day she will be using it the most (I assume) and you have always got the get out that it was her choice if/when it does go wrong.

Have you check out the old JD Power survey to see how they rate for reliability ?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's a good point - both on JD Power and the 'her choice' thing [;)]

JD Power say it's ranked 71. That's one below the Merc SLK and one above the VW Polo. Can't be bad!!

As for colour Sat, it's a pearl silver but goes kind of blue / purple / grey depending where you are looking.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I'll do the I know a friend that ..... we have 1 scenic on our fleet which is mainly made up from Fords, it is the 1.9 120 Expression Diesel and is a 54 plate. The car covers 45k per year and is currently approaching 70k. According to the contract hire report it has had 5 requests for maintenance, these mainly include bulbs, exterior and interior the only other item was a rear brake caliper. Other than that nothing else has gone wrong. The driver is reasonably pleased with the car but rates the engine and gearbox in his old Focus 1.8 Tddi as being better. The only worry I would have with the renault is the electrics other than that you can buy them cheap - have a look at new ones, you can get 4 years 0 % and hefty discounts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts