Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my car a month now and today was the first time i have yerned for more power. Got spanked by an R32.

I was fully expecting it and wanted to see the diffrance and the R32
was nice enough to embarsses me. My girlfriend even asked if i was
racing i got that spanked.

So what do i need to do to my car to surprise him next time, on the dualie, and round the roundabouts.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
U've got the chip, the coilovers.. the basics are there, u just need to outdrive him. It comes down the skill

what Im saying is, u don't need to waste anymore money on performance bits.. theres far more to be had out of driving style..

I learnt this last week when I was following 2 test drivers (Test Drive Magazine) over some
deserted Welsh roads - The ones that u only see in computer games..
Fast corners, tight bends, no other cars...

I was driving a 300bhp Subaru, they were in a 240bhp Mazda MPS, and a 240bhp FWD Vectra VXR.

The dude in the VXR (by far the WORSE car out of the lot) left ME
FOR DEAD time and time again, (not talking about straight line)
talking about bends and curves, heavy braking etc

Theres alot to be gained from your machine, just from improving ur driving technique

·
Registered
92 Posts
like there saying get whats in your dream list plus add maybe an induction kit with a 3 inch downpipe and a CAT back exhaust with a de-cat which will have get ya a wee bit more power and torque when the chip is done!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yer, the dreams list is just that, things i intend to purchase.

Glad i am going along the right lines. Think i will start with the suspension!

Cheers

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Aside from the comment above about risking your own and other peoples lives, it is not a good idea to be racing the same car day in and day out on the same piece of road as you will end up getting reported resulting in a Police trap to snare you speeding/racing which will result in a ban.

Now the PC bit has been done [;)], get a motorbike or look to add some mods like some of the cars on here. You have the makings of 240bhp with a turbo back exhaust, modified air in and remap, and with the saved weight and less transmission loss, the same bhp may well give an edge [y]

·
Registered
837 Posts
I'm with Fly on this one. Okay in a straight line drag up a dual carriageway power will always win, but on proper roads, talent is a far bigger factor than chips, suspension, etc.

I was at Castle Combe a few years ago and watched an old Astra Diesel Estate lap most of the field at a track day. The car was standard, complete with jelly suspension and minimal power. The driver was not standard though - he was one of the tutors from the driving school. Should have seen the faces of all the lads in their tuned cars when he sailed up the inside of them under braking - priceless !

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have had my car a month now and today was the first time i have yerned for more power. Got spanked by an R32.
I was fully expecting it and wanted to see the diffrance and the R32 was nice enough to embarsses me. My girlfriend even asked if i was racing i got that spanked.

So what do i need to do to my car to surprise him next time, on the dualie, and round the roundabouts.
First off, kick ya girlfriend out, no matter how slight she is, she will effect the weight, and that makes all the difference, secondly practice that bit of road, thirdly get a remap! good one will see 205bhp? - and with the weight difference (no heavy running gear or V6) added to ya newly improved driving skills... you'll be taking HIS girlfriend home with ya..

in an ideal world of course.. lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts