What Coolant Do I Need To Use?

49K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  jacko17 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
VW coolant:

G12

G12+

G13

Any of the above, from any VW garage, Seat/Audi/Skoda garage.
Thanks for the reply. Is it avaible on Ebay? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-QX-1L-Purple-Antifreeze-Coolant-Long-Life-G13-Fully-Concentrated-1-Litre-/231066978617?pt=UK_Vehicle_Oils_Lubricants_Fluids&hash=item35ccaa4939 is that stuff okay? not sure where the nearest garage is to me i'll have to look it up if not.

Also would it matter what antifreeze that the owner before me used? If she was just to use bog standard anti-freeze? would it best to flush out the lot and start new? Watch a video and it look pretty easy, Just a bleed nibble near the front of the car and then drain it?

thanks

#7 ·
The eBay stuff should do, you.

If you mix coolant you get blockages in your radiator from a chemical reaction

if you don't know what coolant you currently have, you are right in thinking of emptying the system,

ideally giving it a back flush with a hose pipe into a temporarily removed radiator hose until the water runs clear from the drain.

#9 ·
Does this go for the MK5 too? And why is it soo important to use genuine VW stuff and not one from your local motor factors designed for VW's?
G13 on mk5's.... the reason why it's so important is because the heater matrix is a PITA to replace if it goes because the wrong stuff is used. The G12, G12+ and G13 are less corrosive than the older stuff.

sent from my tapatalk

#10 ·
G13 on mk5's.... the reason why it's so important is because the heater matrix is a PITA to replace if it goes because the wrong stuff is used. The G12, G12+ and G13 are less corrosive than the older stuff.

sent from my tapatalk
Right ok makes sense prevention obviously better than cure :) I have no idea what's in mine, just know the last garage to do work and a service etc are muppets lol so probably worth a drain down and new fluid would you think?

#18 ·
G13 all the way plus de ionized water as well.

Alex

#19 ·
Tutorial for all diesels is the same.... just look on youtube you'll find a few videos explaining how to do it. You'll need 5 liters of coolant if it is completely drained. But if you don't use air to presure out every last bit it will take 4.5 liters

sent from my tapatalk

#20 ·
Just checked my coolant and it looks to be the pinky type. Tested it with a coolant tester and it says just below -30(so -35ish) but doesn't say up what degrees here is a pic as i don't understand it hope someone else does....My coolant is just above the minimum mark, would it be okay to top up to the middle until i get some g13 or the comma g30 antifreeze while weekend then ill top it up to the max mark with the coolant at weekned.

20140813_182034_zpsf57d399e.jpg

Cheers

Chris

#22 ·
I'd probably wait till the weekend and go to TPS and get the proper stuff, so long as its not overheating?
Nearest TPS is 27 miles away :O and my nearest Audi or VW garage is 15 miles.....On the stuff from halfords it does say TL774-D/F which is what you need isn't it? If not ill have to take the trip to my localish Audi/VW garage.

Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.