Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Wife wants to learn to drive and we've decided the best way is for her to buy a car to do it in so that she can get as much experience as possible and then keep this car for sometime after passing. The car would also be used for my commute to work as I currently drop the wife off so she could drive that part once she has some confidence behind the wheel.

Budget is around ?5k, want something small, reasonably modern so around 5yrs old and needs to be VAG. Needs to look fairly 'sporty' and be well specced with the likes of aircon and electric windows. Also want something with reasonable power and the option to remap later for more so a 1.8T or PD would be preferable.

Currently leaning towards an Ibiza Cupra 20VT but open to suggestions.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I would have thought for her to learn to drive in and to get confidence in, power and tunability were very low priorities. Ease of driving, visibility, insurance costs, reliability etc would all figure more highly to me.

I'd probably look at a Polo, Ibiza, Fabia, A2 (my local garage have a Y plate A2 Tdi for sale at about ?6500 if I recall correctly).

She can go racy and style conscious later.....

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would have thought for her to learn to drive in and to get confidence in, power and tunability were very low priorities. Ease of driving, visibility, insurance costs, reliability etc would all figure more highly to me.

I'd probably look at a Polo, Ibiza, Fabia, A2 (my local garage have a Y plate A2 Tdi for sale at about ?6500 if I recall correctly).

She can go racy and style conscious later.....
Looking for a combination of both and in my experience cars with a reasonable amount of power are much easier to drive but doesn't mean you have to drive with a lead right foot.. Future tuneability is a consideration so that we don't lose out selling it once she's passed and wants more power.

I would hope a car with ABS, power steering and the size of the Ibiza should meet all the criteria and I know that 1.8T's are reliable.

For younger drivers I can appreciate the power arguement but don't see the relevance for a responsible adult and if it is an issue I can always detune a 1.8T.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't go wrong with this surely....

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=232823

53 Plate 1.4S Lupo, 9,000 miles, Ins group 3!
?5299

Or for a bit more sporty...

http://www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/search3.asp?Id=240079

Y plate 1.4 Sport, 28,000 miles, Ins group 6, 100bhp so 60 comes in under 10secs.
?4999

While shes learning to drive and get the ropes these would be excellent, then she could move onto a 1.8T golf or other VAG car with a bit more grunt. Just my two pence.
No aircon though from what I can see.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
What about a 5 year old Audi A3 1.8T Sport?

Or is that too big?

If you want the 1.8T then Ibiza sounds about the best bet...

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about a 5 year old Audi A3 1.8T Sport?

Or is that too big?

If you want the 1.8T then Ibiza sounds about the best bet...
A3 is a little big and TBH not to our taste as we looked at them when buying the Golf and just didn't like them.

1.8T isn't essential but it seems that decent spec and style only come with powerful engines. Don't really want to go down the route of modding either to get the looks as that will have a big impact on insurance.

·
Registered
273 Posts
5K get you easy....

6n2 version of the polo, 2000 - 2002 Polo 1.4 TDi SE

75bhp but little pocket rockets... got one on a X Plate immaculate, 4 month back for ?4500...

Can be remapped but no reason to, but 100bhp with remap and insurance is really low.. oh and fully electrics with SE and a fairly rare car, holds value really well...

Mum loves it to bits, we averaged 67mpg on way back from london and thats no lie, thats crazy!!

Golf gets 45-50 ish, distance 52mpg average...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Here is my wife's car, try one of these, maybe not the cheapest to insure at group 11 but a lovely car and probably one of the best Volkswagens we have ever bought. Can return 40mpg but still goes like a scalded cat when provoked. Bi-Xenon headlights, Air con.. Easy to park and excellent visibility all round.

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Lupo Gti, but you would be very hard pushed to find (a decent) one for ?5k, I think ?6-7k would be nearer the mark. They are great to drive and handle v. well. The downside is they are soooo tiny (if you have any future family plans), and obviously you can't do much with the 1.6 16v engine (i'm sure JBS would be happy to nitrous it for you though) .

I have thought about your original criteria and can't honestly think of a better solution than your original suggestion i.e. Ibiza cupra.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Eddy hear your arguments but i would be looking at getting a cheap car
for the first 2 years as she will bang it I promise you, My mate has
just don the same thing for his missus, but he got a 2,5 year old 1.4
fiat punto with 28000 miles and a fsh for ?1900 privately beat that,
the car has the girly power steering aircon, bixenon lights etc etc and
at less than 2 grand he doesnt care about supermarket dents, the fact
she reversed into there porch also doesnt matter, 99% of new drivers
always have a knock.

I said to my missus get a banger, and after the first couple of bumps
we will get you a new car, 18 months later she had nice new zafira and
she absoultely cherishes it, as she learnt howto with her jalopy.

·
Registered
69 Posts
<snip...>

I have thought about your original criteria and can't
honestly think of a better solution than your original suggestion i.e.
Ibiza cupra.
I second that. Good choice.

As an aside, a diesel Leon Cupra goes like poo poo too.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well we bought a car for my Wife on Friday. We decided on an 02 3dr Ibiza TDI Sport in blue. It has the PD130 engine and spec includes colour coded bumpers and front/rear rub strips, foglights, 16" alloys, sports suspension, remote C/L, Cat 1 alarm, elec windows, elec mirrors, climate, CD player, sports seats.

I'm really impressed with the car, especially the PD130 engine. Best of all the car and insurance came within budget at ?5250 and ?570 respectively.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well we bought a car for my Wife on Friday. We decided on an 02 3dr Ibiza TDI Sport in blue. It has the PD130 engine and spec includes colour coded bumpers and front/rear rub strips, foglights, 16" alloys, sports suspension, remote C/L, Cat 1 alarm, elec windows, elec mirrors, climate, CD player, sports seats.

I'm really impressed with the car, especially the PD130 engine. Best of all the car and insurance came within budget at ?5250 and ?570 respectively.
Woah! that is seriously good money - the equivalent Golf would perhaps be nearly twice that money !!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts