Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My toilet seems to use ahell of a lot of water compared to others I have used when flushing.

I don't produce logs that need a 20 second flush!! I'm also on a water meter. Can I do something to stop it using so much water?

I was thinking of putting something in the tank so not as much water is filled. Then I had a genius idea, I could stop the ballcock thing from going so high. Can I just literally attach something to the side of the cistern that stops the ballcock thing rising further, and therefore using more water every fill?

Just wondering if this is going to have any knock on effects over time to the cistern?

I am new to all this DIY stuff!!

·
Registered
501 Posts
Get a strong plastic bag (like a bin liner) and fill it with some sand then tie it up securly. You can actually by stuff but essentially it's a plastic bag with sand in it!

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
If it's yellow, let it mellow,

If it's brown make it drown !

Think that was in the film meet the fockers ?

Also, lucky you. I'd say that they don't make toilets like they used to as I quire often need a double flush and in exceptional circumstances a treble. Used to fill up a big plant pot with water and horse the water from that down at the same time as a bit of a 'flush assist' !

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
be carefull ... if the drains to the house are old, they are more
restrictive and need more waterto force solids round corners and down
more shallow falls... ie new modern toilet with small wtare useage in
old buildings .. means blocked drains often.

i know i manage alot of old buildings.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Don't mess with the ballcock - the water has to be up to depth, before the cistern will flush. One house brick, sealed in a polly bag, will cut your consuption some, without leaving the odd anaconda staring at you.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
be carefull ... if the drains to the house are old, they are more restrictive and need more waterto force solids round corners and down more shallow falls... ie new modern toilet with small wtare useage in old buildings .. means blocked drains often.

i know i manage alot of old buildings.
This isn't an old house though, built in 1993, had a new suite in 1999. The whole complex of 32 houses was built in 1993.

The toilet itself is your basic armatige shanks (sp). I know some have a double flush feature, where you hold the flush longer for the snake like deposits and it does a short flush for a bit of yellow.

But, this seems to do a long flush every time. Will see what i can fit in the tank tonight.

Thanks for the advice guys. All I'm seeing is litres and litres of water going. My water was 6 units in less than a month. I reckon I can cut that down to 4 pretty easy.

6 units is 6 square metres. May not sound much, but considering I'm out from 7.30am - 6pm 5-6 days a week, do one load of washing (full load) and have a 5 minute shower every day, sounds a lot!

·
Registered
728 Posts
On the ball cock arm, where the hinge is there should be a screw.  This is used for adjusting the height that the ball cock can raise too.  Just twist the screw to stop the ball raising so much and any adjustment you make should be well within the parameters of your toilet drains etc.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
On the ball cock arm, where the hinge is there should be a screw. This is used for adjusting the height that the ball cock can raise too. Just twist the screw to stop the ball raising so much and any adjustment you make should be well within the parameters of your toilet drains etc.
The range of adjustment available before the loo stops flushing is very small - not worth the effort. The depth of water has to be such that operating the handle sets off a syphon - if it's not then anaconda stay in bowl!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
speak to your water supplier, they will send you one of those water saver bags for free.
As above, it's called a 'Water Hippo', my water company sent me one when I change to a meter. As said, it's free and takes about 10 mins to sort.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Can I just literally attach something to the side of the cistern that stops the ballcock thing rising further, and therefore using more water every fill?
If you stop the ballcock from rising fully, the valve won't close and you'll have water all over the floor. If it has a metal shaft you can bend it down so that the ballcock is lower in the tank and therefore less water is required to close the inlet valve, but it depends what kind it is.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
speak to your water supplier, they will send you one of those water saver bags for free.
Yea, they are very good, we use them at home.

I may have a few left (unused) , as I had a friend who worked for severntrent water & he blagged me them.

Leave it with me...

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I attached a small bottle to the ball cock arm thus making the ball cock more boyant and closing the valve quicker and reducing the water consumption..

Jay

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
"Little Brown fishes" perhaps. [:$]

House brick mentioned before is a popular one, I usually adjust the screw adjuster on the valve close arm (the bit with the float valve on it).

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not worth messing with a ballcock joint really as they can break after time.

The easiest solution is to fill plastic bottles up with water and stick them in your toilet header tank, if you put a 1 litre bottle in you will save the equivalent in water, its just knowing how much you want to save, as normally its 6 litres for a number 2 lol and 3 litres for a pee.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea, they are very good, we use them at home.

I may have a few left (unused) , as I had a friend who worked for severntrent water & he blagged me them.

Leave it with me...
Leave it with you?!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Not worth messing with a ballcock joint really as they can break after time.

The easiest solution is to fill plastic bottles up with water and stick them in your toilet header tank, if you put a 1 litre bottle in you will save the equivalent in water, its just knowing how much you want to save, as normally its 6 litres for a number 2 lol and 3 litres for a pee.
Theres a LOT more than 6 litres in there! I reckon theres at least 12-15 and it's emptying itself every time. I actually have an empty litre bottle from cordial. Next time I have the urge, will fill that from the sink and fill the tank up, im interested now! 6 litres sounds nothing compared to mine!

·
Old School UkMkivs Member
2,166 Posts
As others have said, adjust the ballcock arm with the adjusting screw so it shuts the supply off earlier when the ballcock is at a lower level.

With a bit of trial and error you will find the lowest water level possible where the toilet still flushes every time.

It may only be an inch lower in water level but it all counts. An inch depth multiplied by the area of you cistern may even be as much as 2 litres of water saved.

I have just replaced the loo in my upstairs bathroom and was amazed how much smaller the new slimline cisterns are compared to the old 18 year old one.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts