Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that most 150 tdi's (like most VAG engines) should have a minimum of 150 bhp. I've read the max speed is about 134 mph (sounds a little conservative to me). Has anyone driven one flat out - what was the maximum indicated speed?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I think they may push close to 140 indicated but no idea on accuracy. To be honest though does that matter?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 26/01/2005 12:30:31

I think they may push close to 140 indicated but no idea on accuracy. To be honest though does that matter?

Quite. But since he asked I have seen 145 indicated, 141 on Road Angel GPS in my old remapped PD130 with a few revs left and a bend approaching[:eek:)]. I have not had the opportunity or inclination to max the PD150 but its bound to be similar.

·
Registered
689 Posts
[legend]Reflex TDI on 26/01/2005 Quite. But since he asked I have seen 145 indicated, 141 on Road Angel GPS in my old remapped PD130 with a few revs left and a bend approaching[:eek:)]. I have not had the opportunity or inclination to max the PD150 but its bound to be similar.

Anyone know the accuracy of GPS speed readouts?

My TomTom Go usually reads out 5-10% less than my speedo.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I've seen 142 indicated on mine. When I was at Bruntingthorpe I saw 130ish in the wet and the gps was only 1mph down on this.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I had 134 on the m6 toll, according to my RA2.

I'm sure there was a bit more left to go, but I was bricking it anyway at that speed.

You shouldnt exceed the speed limits you know, 70mph max [:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
My remapped Passat TDI 110 has seen 120mph on the RA2, and it would have gone further if the road was long enough. No motorways up here to really try!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Saw a speedo indicated 145 on a private road (;-)) in my old Anni (Sorry James!!). Not sure of the accuracy but I guess that was somewhere around an actual speed of 138mph. It certainally was not enough to keep up with a certain 2 people on here - one in a chipped 1.8T and one in a blue R32 (you know who you are!!)

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Quote: posted by NikB on 26/01/2005 12:30:31

....To be honest though does that matter?

I agree with NikB isn't how it does it more important? Power delivery and in-gear acceleration....?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. Not its not important I was wondering how conservative VW were being with thier spec. Ofcourse I'm not suggesting its appropriate to drive flat out on the public highway.

Lastly ofcourse in gear is more important - thats why I didn't get a Civic Type-R.

·
Registered
961 Posts
i had my revo'd 130 at 125mph indicated.it was still pulling but i ran out of runway.that was from a rolling start of 50mph.i have taken the s3 down the same runway and from a standing start i got to 120mph.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Quote: posted by ChrisB on 26/01/2005 14:44:57

Saw a speedo indicated 145 on a private road (;-)) in my old Anni (Sorry James!!). Not sure of the accuracy but I guess that was somewhere around an actual speed of 138mph. It certainally was not enough to keep up with a certain 2 people on here - one in a chipped 1.8T and one in a blue R32 (you know who you are!!)

Was going to let you drive my car at the weekend. Changed my mind now!! [:p]

·
Registered
703 Posts
seen 135 indicated on the speedo with 5ppl and luggage! it was pulling strong too...but i saw a car on the horizon and slowed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 26/01/2005 13:26:59

Road Angel always had the PD130 about 4mph slower than speedo at any given speed.

Most speedos read a few mph slow...

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I thought speedos were normally optimistic i.e. read slightly faster as manufacturers err on the side of caution and you think you are going faster than you are....?

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Quote: posted by col.mc on 26/01/2005 13:03:59

Quote: posted by Reflex TDI on 26/01/2005 Quite. But since he asked I have seen 145 indicated, 141 on Road Angel GPS in my old remapped PD130 with a few revs left and a bend approaching[:eek:)]. I have not had the opportunity or inclination to max the PD150 but its bound to be similar.

Anyone know the accuracy of GPS speed readouts?

My TomTom Go usually reads out 5-10% less than my speedo.

Commercial GPS is accurate to within 15 metres or accurate to within less than 1%

[legend]Reflex TDI on 27/01/2005 17:34:11

I thought speedos were normally optimistic i.e. read slightly faster as manufacturers err on the side of caution and you think you are going faster than you are....?

Speedo's have to read optimistically - a brand new tyre and a worn one will make a difference to theh speedo reading. Also although tyres are a set size the do vary, the number of rotations per miles varies quite widely.

I think elite tyres specify on thier website the real sizes of different tyres.

J.

J.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts