Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not running 350bhp but if I were, what brakes should I be looking at?

I'm thinking AMD's Porsche Bi-turbo Front Brake Kit (322mm) should do the job.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've been looking at a couple of Tarox setups that they have at Awesome, I know of a couple of IHI'd Audis that are running them and apparently they don't fade plus give top performance and feel.  Not made my mind up yet but probably worth you having a chat with Dean in their sales team for better info.

·
Registered
190 Posts
After alot of phone calls to dean at awesome, ive decided that in january i will be getting the 6pot tarrox with i think its 330mm disk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Im under the impresion you need spacers to make the caliper not to hit the spokes with brembos, and not Tarox.

Thats one of my reasons also

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
You should also consider ECS brakes available from www.jbrperformance.co.uk

Stage 2v2 is 332mm x 26mm floating discs and monobloc Porsche Boxster rear calipers (which I have);

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=VR6%2024v&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%202v2

That would be plenty I assure you. However they also do a mahoosive Stage 5 358mm x 32mm floating discs and monobloc Porsche Cayenne calipers;

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=VR6%2024v&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%205

I also have the Stage 1Rv2 to upgrade my 256mm vented rears to 308mm x 22mm and keep things balanced;

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/pagebuild_v2.cgi?make=Volkswagen&engine=VR6%2024v&model=Golf%20IV&submodel=&category=Braking&subcategory=ECS%20Stage%201Rv2

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You should also consider ECS brakes available from www.jbrperformance.co.uk

Stage 2v2 is 332mm x 26mm floating discs and monobloc Porsche Boxster rear calipers (which I have);
I like the sound of the ECS Stage 3, Porsche 993 Bi turbo calipers. I'm hoping it's a 4pot caliper. ?1339.99.... i'm guessing that's just supplied. Would it include everything I need for fitting??

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
@Mat - spares readily available from the importers JBR

@Mokeylock - Best you get in touch with Richard Broadfield @ JBR [email protected] - they are 322mm discs and the "big red" Porsche 993 brakes are 4 pots - same as used in AmD's kits I think. The kits do provide all parts.

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Best you get in touch with Richard Broadfield @ JBR [email protected] - they are 322mm discs and the "big red" Porsche 993 brakes are 4 pots - same as used in AmD's kits I think. The kits do provide all parts.
Thanx for all the info mate, do you know how long it should take to fit a kit like this, how many hours?

Is it worth payin a bit extra and getting it fit by AMD or should a (trusted) mechanic be capable of fitting it (trying to save on fitting).

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
It can be done yourself and is relatively simple. However, if you have to ask a competent mechanic is advisable!

My car won't darken AmD's door again. I'd find someone else if I were you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
To fit discs correctly you need a disc run out gauge ( a rigid mount for a dti) if you do not use one of these to check for correct fitment your brakes will start to run out after a few hundred miles, some people think that they have warped the discs at this point and replace them and the wobble goes away for a few hundred miles and on and on.

·
Registered
690 Posts
ECS Stage IV seem like the best value big brakes of the lot. 4 pot monobloc calipers (stage 3 are heavier 2 piece calipers, stage 5 are OTT 6 pots), and veeeeeery large 355x35mm two-piece discs (thicker than the stage 5 discs!).

Cheaper than both stage 3 and 5 as well!

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ECS Stage IV seem like the best value big brakes of the lot. 4 pot monobloc calipers (stage 3 are heavier 2 piece calipers, stage 5 are OTT 6 pots), and veeeeeery large 355x35mm two-piece discs (thicker than the stage 5 discs!).

Cheaper than both stage 3 and 5 as well!
I never saw the stage 4 before cause i was only looking at JBR's website. You're right though, it's HUGE, thicker than stage 5 and seems cheaper than stage 5 & 3. What's the catch...lol

Just realised that stage 3 fits 17'' wheels while the stage 4 18''. I haven't got OEM 18'' but they ARE 18... how can i find out if the stage 4 will fit?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Just realised that stage 3 fits 17'' wheels while the stage 4 18''. I haven't got OEM 18'' but they ARE 18... how can i find out if the stage 4 will fit?
Stage 4 is a larger version of the Stage 2v2 that I have and from what I can see uses the same rear calipers from the Boxster which are far more compact than the 993 big red calipers (and also have a smaller brake pad area). I use 17" track wheels with no problems and am confident the calipers would clear most wheel designs, but your best way to get clarification on these things is to discuss with Richard @ JBR.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts