Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just realised there are so many films that i used to watch as a kid, and i probably can't remember most until they're mentioned!

It's about time i started collecting some more DVD's to add to my collection, which i admit is far too small for my liking!

Ones that i'd perhaps forgotten about but would still love to watch again...

So please list any that you think are relevant, whether they're single DVD's, boxsets, whatever, i don't mind!! Inspire me! [:D]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
From the 80's -

Aliens, Predator, Commando, Beverly Hills Cop, The Golden Child, Navy
Seals,Goonies, Back to the Future, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Empire
Strikes Back, Ghostbusters, Highlander, Full Metal Jacket, Platoon,
Rambo, Robocop, Tron, Blade Runner. There are others I just can't think
of them.

From the 90's -

Akira, Braveheart, Terminator 2, ID4, Ghost Dog, Men In Black, Pulp
Fiction, Usual Suspects, Shawshank Redemption, Tombstone, Starship
Troopers, Goodfellas, The Rock, Romeo & Juliet, The Fifth Element,
Die Hard 2, Saving Private Ryan, Under Seige. Again loads more but I
can't remember what.

·
Registered
639 Posts
1980's..

The Goonies, Indiana Jones Trilogy (boxset), Aliens, Robocop 1,2&3, Beverley Hills Cop 1,2&3, Planes Trains and Automobiles, Gremlins 1&2, Labyrinth, Die Hard 1&2, Conan the Barbarian, Commando, Predator, The Terminator, Critters, The Shining, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver, Blade Runner, Total Recall, Full Metal Jacket, Back to the Future 1,2&3, Star Wars Trilogy, Platoon, Mad Max Trilogy, Scarface, Rain Man, The Thing, The Untouchables, ET, Airplane!

1990's...

Die Hard with a Vengeance, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Cube, Tremors, Blair Witch Project, Terminator 2, Alien 3+Ressurection, The Matrix, Species, The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Fight Club, The Usual Suspects, Goodfellas, Leon, Se7en, Run Lola Run, American History X, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, Forrest Gump, The Sixth Sense, Trainspotting, Groundhog Day, Heat, Twelve Monkeys, Wayne's World 1+2, Austin Powers, GI Jane, Dances With Wolves, The Siege, Waterworld, Fifth Element, Ransom, Snake Eyes, True Lies, Last Action Hero, The Rock, Con Air, The Negotiator, Jurassic Park 1+2, Mission:Impossible, Dangerous Minds, Nick of Time, Scream

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Most of my favourites have already been mentioned above, although there is one in particular that hasn't :-

Lost Boys: Absolute classic film and one I never get tired of watching plus an excellent soundtrack[Y][H]

L

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
OMG how could I forget Lost Boys. Still don't have that in my
collection because everytime I think about buying it, it seems to come
on tv!

Soundtrack - Cry Little Sister was awesome, I even bought it.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Drysdale, some great films there. Had forgotten about Gremlins, The
Thing and The Untouchables. Now I'm going to be anal - Total Recall was
in 1990!! /anal.

Twelve Monkeys - what a bizarre film, still can't decide whether to buy it or not.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
80's = Ferris Bueller's Day Off - fave film of all time. Not forgetting the Breakfast Club & Weird Science too!

90's = Goodfellas - a close second fave.

·
Registered
586 Posts
wow between NikB and Drysdale, you guys have roughly listed all the films I like from that period.

BUT Drysdale, Robocop 3? NoooOOoooOoooo! [:p]

Some others

As Good As It Gets (love this film - first 5 mins and the 'you make me want to be a better person' bit)
Schindlers List - Made me cry [:(]
American Beauty - "I got fired from work today, held my boss to ransom. Pass the Asparagus"
Stand By Me - Absolute classic (from the same book that Shawshank came from!)
Killing Fields - Harrowing.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the replies so far fellas, especially to NikB and Drysdale for listing so many! [Y]

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far fellas, especially to NikB and Drysdale for listing so many! [Y]
You're welcome.

Ray - I'd forgotten about American Beauty, thought it was 2000 for some
reason. Stand By Me is an incredible film too. Seen it so many times
and it doesn't loose its edge.

·
Registered
639 Posts
A few more..

2000's...

Gladiator, The Bourne Identity + Supremacy, The Descent, 28 Days Later, Man on Fire, Training Day, Black Hawk Down, Lord of the Rings Trilogy, Memento, Hotel Rwanda, Sin City, Kill Bil Vol 1+2, Amores Perros, Cube Zero, Finding Nemo, Donnie Darko, Snatch, Almost Famous, Jarhead, Hostage, Saw 1+2, Final Destination, The Grudge, The Ring, 8 Mile, The Assination of Richard Nixon, The Interpreter, Collateral, War of the Worlds..

·
Registered
639 Posts
RayBanUK - lol, he wanted boxsets so naturally thought of the trilogy. Its not too bad, bit more violent than the other two and way better than the recent crap low-budget robocop straight-to-tv films they've done.

NikB - you're right, thought it was 80's as it looks a bit dated now. Twelve Monkeys is a great film, good twists etc but like you said very weird.

May I throw another 80's in...?...........Time Bandits! Also by Terry Gilliam who made Twelve Monkeys. Also reccommend Willow.

Few more 90's...Batman and Batman Returns! The other 3 were rubbish.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
I thought the tv Robocop was actually a tv series, didn't realise they were films.

Time Bandits was a good film and I really like Willow though it was never really a box office smash.

Total Recall does indeed look dated now but it was ground breaking for
effects in its day. For example the bit where you see Arnie on a train
on Mars and the camera pans away from the train without breaking shot.
That had never been done before and has been used loads of times since.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
80's = Ferris Bueller's Day Off - fave film of all time. ........................ & Weird Science too!
Fantastic films.........would've been my choice [Y]. Not sure about 90's films though. [^o)]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hahah you guys got me started now! I think the Robocop trilogy is the best (worst?) example of how to ruin a great concept.

The first one was ultra-violent, ultra-facist, no hold barred, swear and gore fest. I love Verhovan (cept Showgirls of course). I think he repeated this success with the equally brilliant Starship Troopers.

Second, not bad but the whole thing about Murphy wanting to be human again really got to me and the fact that it had turned into a camp fest by the end of the movie. NUKE? nuff said.I don't know how it manages it but the second movie dates worse than the 1st movie. Just look at the Cain robot animation!

Now come to Robocop 3, Orion Pictures (makers of the first 2) were on its last legs and it shows in the films production. Robert Burke replacing Peter Weller firstly, Nancy Allen getting killed. I mean a flying Robocop with a silly jet pack, PLEASE! But the biggest crime is no new bad arse evil robot. Instead we get some Japanese ninja nuclear humanoid twins and the only thing slightly robotic about them was the acting and the fact that one gets punched in the jaw which misaligns. By that time I was pulling out my hair as all this stuff belongs in cheap direct-to-video sci-fi flicks like APEX, Eve of Destruction etc!

Never quite forgave the people who ruined Robocop, and don't even get me started on the non-violent, non swearing TV movies that now sell for ?1.99 at the local LIDL.

Hahahah sorry all, just my own rant about one of my fave movies. I need to get out more! I could start on the Highlander series as well [:p]

·
Registered
22 Posts
the abyss, alien , jaws( first one only) , stand by me, the goonies

BOYZ N THE HOOD, Lost boys, terminator ,Rocky 1 to 4, platoon,

natural born killers, fight club , die hard, back to the future,

Dawn of the Dead, day of the dead,

just a few off the top of my head

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Hahah you guys got me started now! I think the Robocop trilogy is the best (worst?) example of how to ruin a great concept.

The first one was ultra-violent, ultra-facist, no hold barred, swear
and gore fest. I love Verhovan (cept Showgirls of course). I think he
repeated this success with the equally brilliant Starship Troopers.

Second, not bad but the whole thing about Murphy wanting to be human
again really got to me and the fact that it had turned into a camp fest
by the end of the movie. NUKE? nuff said.I don't know how it manages it
but the second movie dates worse than the 1st movie. Just look at the
Cain robot animation!

Now come to Robocop 3, Orion Pictures (makers of the first 2) were
on its last legs and it shows in the films production. Robert Burke
replacing Peter Weller firstly, Nancy Allen getting
killed. I mean a flying Robocop with a silly jet pack, PLEASE! But
the biggest crime is no new bad arse evil robot. Instead we get
some Japanese ninja nuclear humanoid twins and the only thing
slightly robotic about them was the acting and the fact that one gets