Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been told by Balance motorsport that the whiteline ARB is not suitable for more than 45-50mm lowering? What you boys using then? I thought the whiteline one was the best one to use...Im on coilovers on my mk4 and I'm nigh on touching the driveshafts so what do you use to get more than 45-50mm.. Personally I think what they say is a load of shit as mines pretty low already.. more than 45mm and I dare say the majority of people on here buy a front whiteline roll bar to get low!!

Enlighten me please...

·
Registered
345 Posts
mines almost wound all the way down on the front coils (5 from bottom) and im still 5-10mm clear of arb on full lock . i cant understand why im so far clear when people say about there cars catching at 40mm

·
Registered
5,761 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
mines almost wound all the way down on the front coils (5 from bottom) and im still 5-10mm clear of arb on full lock . i cant understand why im so far clear when people say about there cars catching at 40mm
depends what model you have, you can get away with it on the 1.4/1.6 models but the bigger engine ones have thicked arbs & shafts which catch more

my 1.8t rubbed at about 40mm

·
Registered
101 Posts
"enlighten me please"

I did try but unfortunately you decided to post a potentially libelous comment on another thread after I did nothing more than reply courteously to your emails.

However I will try and explain this as best I can again.

As it's a late model car you would need the Whiteline bar and the the droplinks for large drops. Contrary to popular belief the original BAF13Z and BAF13 bars were not originally designed specifically for large amounts of lowering. It was designed to ensure that contact wouldn't occur with the driveshaft at an optimum level of lowering (for this car 15-25mm) and to provide the correct amount of roll stiffness to work with their rear bar. It just so happens that the bar did enable some Golfs to be lowered (as is popular with VW) more than the test range without contact.

HOWEVER problems then started occuring with the original design on some models of Golf - and it was because of these problems as I understand it that the redesign was commissioned.

The redesign was carried out on a car with a 40mm lowering kit (which is too low from a handling perspective on this model) and would have been ok at this lowering range but I don't think they anticipated the kind of drops occuring. The revised bar is better and will allow a bit more lowering (again model specific) than 40mm but to really drop lower does require the adjustable links as well as the bar.

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
I have a 1.8t and I am down 60mm at the moment and I have lots of room still and no ARB rubbing.

Mines a 5 speed box so I wonder if the driveshafts are different compared to the later 6 speed ones
What distance is it from the centre of your wheel to the top of the wheel arch?

·
Registered
547 Posts
my 2 pence is that....

the first mk4 i lowered on hottunning coilovers, there was a problem on one the coils and it wouldnt raise up and was on the lowest setting, so i had to drive round for months til it got sorted(sent another), i only had a problem with the anti roll bar catching the drive shafts on full lock or big bumps....the font bumper was no more than 1.5-2'' off the floor, and thats generous.

Now the current golf on FK AK's, not lowered half as much i am about 3'' to 5'' off the floor and it constantly knocks scrapes(more or less lives on it) etc. It needs raising as soon as i get time.

so my point is i think it could be different on all cars, i will be sorting my ARB out hopefully for edition haha as i am really skint now. but would love to see some PICs of setups not just Millimeter quotes.

Rich

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Oh no, i planned on fitting front and rear eibach arb's on my 150 gt-tdi, i expect the drive shafts are very thick on this model and i want to SLAM it more than reccomended.

i want it dragging its ass on the deck [aggro]

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I have a 1.8t and I am down 60mm at the moment and I have lots of room still and no ARB rubbing.

Mines a 5 speed box so I wonder if the driveshafts are different compared to the later 6 speed ones
What distance is it from the centre of your wheel to the top of the wheel arch?
Im exactly the same, on coilovers..but still on OEM ARB (6-speed box). As there are some seriously nastly 'sump breakers' on my trip to work I had to keep a sensible height, which is probably why got away with the OEM bar.

IIRC I am spot on 25" from the arch to the floor all round.

As the OP has a derv, he is never going to get away significantly lowering without changing the ARB...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not long fitted some JOMs on my mrs 1.8T and given it about a 45-50mm drop which looks great on 18s. Now that the suspension is settled we got the arb literally rubbing up against the drivers side driveshaft whilst driving without even hitting a bump. So far I have been told one solution can be to fit LONGER(adjustable) droplinks to try clear it but this may not solve the problem.

Another solution might be to fit an FK arb which would defo clear the driveshaft but only upto a 50mm drop. Any lower and then I might need Neuspeed or Eibach kit of arb and links.

I will be starting off with the cheapest method first of getting some adjustable links once I get paid again. Till then car must sit on drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.