Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I'm interested to know what anti virus systems you guys are using. How do you rate what you use?

I was using Norton, but I'm looking for something else due to norton eating your system resources.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I use AVG 7 - never had any problems with it.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
I use Norton Corporate Edition. It does it's job but I have no
idea whether it's really any good or not because I only know what I
need to know about computers! I have had a couple of viruses in
the past though, so maybe there is better out there.[:^)]

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
used to run Norton Internet Security but found it slowed my machine down too much! Now used Mcafee security centre. Still slows the laptop down a bit, but not as bad as Norton! When u try and removed Norton it leaves rubbish all over the harddrive! Cant stand it!! Not had any issues with Mcafee and keeps quiet unless needed!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I am currently using AVG v7.0 and have been using AVG for a couple of years now and I have never had any problems with it - I have tried previous versions and like everyone else says I found it really affected the performance of my PC.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Norton uses too much resourses from my past experiences

Mcafee, I use it at work on 4000 PCs and it is absolute crap IMO.

AVG, you can get a free version which is spot on........ nuff said.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
I use Norton & AVG 7 at the mo - Norton seems to pick up some that AVG doesn't tho, any idea why?

Also, on a similar note - I have Norton scheduled to run a scan every
day @ 1am, however, it never does! It seems to be set up ok, but it
doesn't work on my laptop or media center so it must be my mistake . . .

·
Registered
263 Posts
NOD32 - I've just become a reseller for them - I was recommended it by a colleague and am very impressed. Used to use Sophos at work (and am a Sophos partner), but I really am not sure about their new versions (corporate edition V5 and Small Business). I install AVG Free edition on any machines that I make for home users as I think that does as good a job as any (and I use this on my home machine) Used Norton on my laptop for years, but recently think is has become more 'bloated' than ever, and hogs so many resources - really slows things down. NOD32 on the other hand is very quick, and is according to tests etc. better at detecting viruses than anything else! Very pleased with it so far (been using it about a month) - it even detects 'phishing' emails and will automatically delete them.

Al

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I switched from Norton to AVG Free when I got my new PC a couple of months back.  Very happy with it.  Also using various utilities like Spybot, Xoftspy, MS AntiVirus and AdAware to keep the PC clean.  All seem to find stuff that the others can't, Xoftspy being the most effective when I had a serious problem with the Coolwebsearch thingy.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
I use Norton & AVG 7 at the mo - Norton seems to pick up some that AVG doesn't tho, any idea why?
No single tool is totally better than all the others, but I generally find AVG more effective than Norton. It's like cars, the MKV GTI excels in pretty much all areas. Others may beat it in certain disciplines (straight line?) but few can match it overall for the price, if you see what I mean?

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I sue the AVG free edition.  I never have any problems as long as it's kept up to date regularly.  First thing I do everytime I go online, check for any updates.  Firewall is zonealarm, spyware is spybot and adaware. oh and that stinger tool you can get from vil.nai.com - I think !

1 - 20 of 44 Posts