Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm after something fairly cheap but thatcham approved, and preferably a clifford or something similar. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

·
Registered
410 Posts
Depends how much you want to spend mate and what you call cheap. We fit cat 1 alarms for ?195 upto how ever much you want. If its a clifford your after think you would be looking around ?350 fitted for cat one. Just depends what sort of features your after and how much your looking to spend.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd probably pay up to about ?300 max (including fitting). Would like it to have anti jacking, glass sensor, thats about it really.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the suggestions keep em coming.

You can change the sensitivity on cliffords though cant you?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I like Sigma (and no,I'm not on comission) and of all the brands I have fitted over the years,they are the most reliable.They are the only brand I know of that can still be armed and disarmed even if you don't have access to the remote via the keypad,most other alarms can only be disarmed without the remote.Toads procedure involves entering a PIN code by turning the ignition on and off and counting flashes on the LED,not that easy to do when you have the manual in front of you,even worse if you're in a desperate hurry.
To the best of my knowledge,Sigma have a greater range of programming options than most of the others for doing things such as double lock and unlock pulses for deadlocks etc,and also I believe their diagnostics are second to none.

Chris.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok cheers for that I'll look into the sigma ones. Am I gona find one for ?300 with installation though?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent. Well I think thats my mind made up then as you really seem to know what your talking about. Thanx again for the help

·
Registered
410 Posts
Sigma are a very good alarm and as said before can be armed and disarmed by the keypad. Clifford also can be programed to do double lock and unlock as well as loads of other stuff thats why i use them alot but its not the only alarms i fit njust seem to be the best for add ons as well as they have anti hi-jak in them which i find is the best thing i have ev er fitted. As for them being to sensitive thats down to the installer as i fit loads and as long as they are installed right and set up correctly then never have a problem. Another good thing we fit on them is turbo timer so can arm alarm with turbo timer on and alarm is fully armed while turbo cools down and car is locked as your free to go so dont have to sit there and wait for it then arm your alarm.

Before you get your alarm fitted one thing to check is that the company are vsib approved that way you know they will do the job right and to the high standard that you need.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Just had a thought to sometimes if you have standard alarm on the car and fit an aftermarket alarm when you arm your alarm it can set the standard one so when you unlock you car and open the doors etc it sets off the standard alarm.

·
Registered
194 Posts
sigma for me to............. always used a local guy and he will only fit sigma

never no probs loads of extras you can add etc

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Just had a thought to sometimes if you have standard alarm on the car and fit an aftermarket alarm when you arm your alarm it can set the standard one so when you unlock you car and open the doors etc it sets off the standard alarm.
That happens with mine,I just have to remember to disarm the Sigma first,then unlock from the keyfob,if you do it the other way round,the courtesy light comes on,and triggers the alarm because it thinks the doors been opened,I understand this can be disabled in VAG-COM though,maybe one day I'll get round to doing it.

OK well my mind is made up on a sigma. Anyone know the cheapest place to get them online?
It isn't the sort of thing you'd normally get online,your best bet is to do a Google search for your nearest authorised dealer and fitting center.DON'T be tempted to buy cheap if you see them for sale on e-bay and then pay someone to fit it,as this type of product must not be put on sale to the general public unless fitted to a car,anyone selling like that will not be an authorised dealer,and will not be able to give proper technical backup or warranty support should it be needed.

Chris.

·
Registered
410 Posts
As chris said best to get someone who is a authorised dealer to install cause if you do ever have a problem and they are not could end up costing you alot more to get the alarm fited right as it should have been the first time. I will look into the vagcom thing with mine did ask on here about it but never got a reply so if i find anything out will let you know.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts