Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It all started with the alarm going off a <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:time Hour="5" Minute="0">5am</st1:time> and by 6 we were on the M20 heading toward <st1:City><st1:place>Birmingham</st1:place></st1:City>. The journey went without a hitch and by <st1:time Hour="9" Minute="20">9.20am</st1:time> we were sitting in the Dealer drinking coffee.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

Thirty minuets later with all the paper work complete, I was handed the keys to the GTi and asked to have a good look around it to make sure all was well.

I have to say the valeter (spelling) had done a good job and the car looked fantastic especially under the florescent light of the Dealers.

<o:p> </o:p>

There was one unforgivable flaw in the presentation, the bottle opener was missing,

So after a quiet word and new one was found and we were on our way.

That was as far as the nearest filling station whereby she was filled to the brim in super unleaded.

Well the drive home was strange as this was my first ever new car and I?d never had to run one in before, so I found myself asking the Wife to read out loud the procedure on running in from the handbook.

It was all quiet frustrating only being able to do 70 mph, I could feel the car just wanting to let go, but no I though it?s got to be done right .

So what about the car? Well it felt so good, the cabin felt quality and solidly built with an air of class, the whiff of leather just added to the feel good factor.

Having just stepped out of a 2004 model very little had changed, I did notice a few nice touches, such as a lock on the glove box and a proper catch on the cubby hole door just down by my right knee.

Brushed ally trim and door handles finished off the ascetics.

The steering was well weighted and gave good feedback through the 18? Monza?s which make no mistake firm the ride up quiet considerably over the 17? Estorills, for me any firmer would have been too firm.

Then there?s the exhaust note, Oh what a note, subtle enough you know it?s there and not too loud to be intrusive, I can?t wait to run the engine in so I can really hear the exhaust burble.

Well 190 miles and two and a half hour later , we arrived home averaging 36 MPG , which from a new tight engine sitting around 70 MPH I thought was excellent.

Longer term test and photo?s to follow.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Ahh what a feeling. 6 months ago it was exactly the same for me.

Only one thing to say really, run it in quick and then enjoy pure quality driving!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ahh what a feeling. 6 months ago it was exactly the same for me.

Only one thing to say really, run it in quick and then enjoy pure quality driving!
Yep. 350 miles clocked up so far, so I'm getting there.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Right at the top of the screen it should say somewhere 'Welcome back Derv Burner' | Logout | Private Messages |' etc.

Click on the Derv Burner text in Welcome back Derv Burner and it should take you through to your profile settings.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right at the top of the screen it should say somewhere 'Welcome back Derv Burner' | Logout | Private Messages |' etc.

Click on the Derv Burner text in Welcome back Derv Burner and it should take you through to your profile settings.
Ok thanks, I tried that and there was nothing in my sig text box, so I wrote on new sig in the box and will wait and see.

DJ

·
Registered
245 Posts
Congratulations! I know how you feel, you just want to push that
accelerator and feel the power. I bet you will not be able to keep from doing it
before the break in is completed ;-)

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Another convert from the dark side.  Well done, 350 miles sounds like it is run in to me, get out there and explore the full potential of the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hey, I'd love to go! I will see if I have enough frequent flyer points to make it there.
Will have to leave my "steelie" golf at home though......[;)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Congrats DB - I gave mine 1k to get run in, although the amount of beans it got closer to that 4 figure mark did increase... Since then it gets plenty of workout lol [;)]

The noise is sweet low down in the revs, you wait until it's run in and you push it up to 5krpm! MMMMMMMMMMMM [:D] [:D]

Keep it clean and keep it mean mate - and yes you need to come to a SE meet at some point (although admittedly they're normally up London direction!). How about Walton on Thames (See the London Meets section on here) in March - good excuse to a) show off the new car, b) meet everyone [y]

Hey, I'd love to go! I will see if I have enough frequent flyer points to make it there.
Will have to leave my "steelie" golf at home though......[;)]
We'll send a GTI to come and pick you up Mag, lol [;)]

C

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats DB - I gave mine 1k to get run in, although the amount of beans it got closer to that 4 figure mark did increase... Since then it gets plenty of workout lol [;)]

The noise is sweet low down in the revs, you wait until it's run in and you push it up to 5krpm! MMMMMMMMMMMM [:D] [:D]

Keep it clean and keep it mean mate - and yes you need to come to a SE meet at some point (although admittedly they're normally up London direction!). How about Walton on Thames (See the London Meets section on here) in March - good excuse to a) show off the new car, b) meet everyone [y]

C
I'll try and get there Mate, be nice to put a face to some members on here.

DB

1 - 20 of 31 Posts