Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car in in serious need of a thorough wash & detailing session. The paint on my car is full of swirl marks & tiny scratches and feels so rough to touch even when it looks clean. [:(]

I need something to clear off all the rubbish from the paint get all the marks out and then seal the decent finish in.

Basically I need a Product list (in order please from start to finish), where from and how much to pay would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance as always.....

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Claybar will get the roughness out (?11ish for Meguiars with detailing spray or ?7 for the bar from Serious Performance)

Polish will (hopefully) get the swirls out - I've just bought Megs Gold class polish but not used it yet

Use the rest of the Megs products though, so hopeful about the quality

Then a wax - again I use Megs, added bonus of smelling absolutely gorgeous! Might try the klearkote when it's finished

Forum discounts from:

www.seriousperformance.co.uk

www.cleanandshiney.co.uk

·
Registered
521 Posts
?11 for my one delivered as well....

I suggest that you do a search under this section, as it has been covered on numerous occasions, with most people having their favourite products.

john

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK. Im thinking about buying the following:

Meguiars Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo & Conditioner ?4.99

Meguiars Quik Clay Detailing ?11.99

Meguiars Stage 1 Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner ?7.99

Meguiar's Stage 2 Deep Crystal Polish ?7.99

Meguiar's Stage 3 Deep Crystal Wax ?7.99

What do you think?

Would I really need to do the stage 1 in between the clay bar detailing and polish?

How much forum discount do we get from www.seriousperformance.co.uk ?

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Claybar and Diamond Brite kit from GTI Fly gets my vote; my car feels like glass now, amazing product and it stays clean for ages.

EDIT: 10% from Serious performance, highly recommended as the guy is spot on and gives loads of advice.

·
Registered
689 Posts
As all the above really, there are lots of final waxes that different people recommend such as clearkote, P21S, Poorboys etc as well as the more expensive zymol and swissol.

Alex from serious performance will be happy to give you some ideas and prices, 10% forum discount too. Just drop an email via the website.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
I don't like the Gold class shampoo (personally) - think the NXT Gen is great stuff though

As for doing all the stages - depends how fussy you are I suppose. I wouldn't clay & polish and use the cleaner, but maybe that's just me

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks for the advice, im gonna do a bit more research and then probably place an order with Alex @ serious. Claybar seems at the top of the list 4 sure by the looks of it!

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Quote: posted by klauster on 10/03/2005 15:20:03

[:D]

Prepare to put 6 hours aside for a car wash on Sundays!

Lightweight [:D]

Try two whole days [B)]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Can't fault "cats" advice up top there.

Take your time with it and do lots of research first.

I find the clearkote hand glaze and cab wax gives me great results after using a clay bar. I only use the clay about once every 3 months or so.

This is the result: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49835

I am going to give poorboys SSR2 a really good test next weekend and will report back.

I am thinking of creating a website with my techniques on it... however would want other members input to theirs to give it more of a balanced feel??

sorry to post AGAIN, I just cant help myself [:)]

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote: posted by Cat1.4 on 10/03/2005 15:40:40

Quote: posted by klauster on 10/03/2005 15:20:03

[:D]

Prepare to put 6 hours aside for a car wash on Sundays!

Lightweight [:D]

Try two whole days [B)]

Im kinda planning ahead. In about 3 weeks i will be house sitting for somebody that has got a v.large heated (comforatable) garage. I should have some spare time to give the car some much needed loving in a warm environment. Lucky Car!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote: posted by oxford on 10/03/2005 16:27:42

Can't fault "cats" advice up top there.

Take your time with it and do lots of research first.

I find the clearkote hand glaze and cab wax gives me great results after using a clay bar. I only use the clay about once every 3 months or so.

This is the result: http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49835

I am going to give poorboys SSR2 a really good test next weekend and will report back.

I am thinking of creating a website with my techniques on it... however would want other members input to theirs to give it more of a balanced feel??

sorry to post AGAIN, I just cant help myself [:)]

Oxford, your car looks amazing in those pics, especially considering the mileage!

Look forward to reading your results from the test to. Having a websites a great idea for people that want a good reference on how to create a good finish using certain products.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Thanks mate! [:)]

You can get just as good results I think, nice dark blue you have [:)]

Thought about having a website for sometime, will have to look into it!

col.mc also has some SSr2 I believe, so he may well be able to give a review before I can, but will let you know how it goes.

Good luck, I have a feeling you will enjoy it!

When you have completed it, the test is in the touch - feels like smooth silk!

- the clearkote hand glaze will disguise a hell of a lot of scratches and make the paint look perfect, however a polish such as the SSr2 will work on getting the scratches out of the paint so there is less to hide.

I recommend a decent shampoo too, most car shampoos will strip all the wax off your car! (very frustrating when you spend 5 hours cleaning it and it gets dirty again!) - poorboys shampoo is good stuff, ask Alex for it as it is not advertised on his site yet.

Also the AG premium microfibre towel is a MUST for buffing the wax off, you will be seriously impressed by it! makes it very easy - mine is over 6 months old and good as new, machine washable.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by oxford on 10/03/2005 16:49:43

I recommend a decent shampoo too, most car shampoos will strip all the wax off your car! (very frustrating when you spend 5 hours cleaning it and it gets dirty again!) - poorboys shampoo is good stuff, ask Alex for it as it is not advertised on his site yet.

Oh yes it is, well its in the PDF order form, I know, I ticked that box too [:D]

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Ok, this would be my little shopping list! Basically because it is what I use!! Lol

*disclaimer!*(I am not in anyway saying what I use is the best, its just a recommendation based on my experiences!)

Poorboys shampoo ?

around 10 quid

Sorry no pic!

Posted Image

SSR2 - Medium Abrasive

Removes: Light Swirls, Oxidation, Fine Scratches and Over-Spray. Use on: Clearcoats, Paint, Chrome, Gel Coats, Glass, and Plexiglass.

SPSSR2

Price ?12.99

Posted Image

Clearkote

VANILLA MOOSE WAX HAND GLAZE

Price ?12.99

Posted Image

Clearkote

Carnauba Moose Wax

Price ?15.99

Posted Image

Meguiar's

Applicator Pads

Ultra-Soft, American-Made

Price ?3.98

Posted Image

Ultra Microfibre Cloth/ Towel - Tricot FBZ Dual 340g/m2

The newest. Plushest, most dense Microfibre available! Perfect for drying with it?s massive absorbancy capabilities, or polishing/ wax removal.

SPSM8517 Purple ? 40 x 40cm ?

Price ?5.49

Posted Image

Serious Performance

Detailing Clay

Price ?7.49

That comes to about ?68.84

-10% (?6.88)

?61.96 - ps, dont trust my maths either!

That may seem a hell of a lot, but it will last you all year and more. It includes pretty much all you will ever need. So in my opinion it is money well spent in the scheme of things! ? remember how much of an investment your car is anyway!

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Winner.. that's pretty much what I bought from Alex at the london meet.

SSR2, the AG MF cloth (so bloody soft ! and huge !) got some mEgs applicators pads already and some terry towels too. also got some of his cheaper mf's for applying and doin' the wheels and got some P21.. might go and buy some deep crystal polish this weekend too.. just need the clay now.. but I won't do that this weekend.

My lot came to ?43 reduced to ?37 after discount. Good stuff and got it straight away, but that's cos I was there at the time ! [:D]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts