Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I come home from work today, spin the car round as I normally do and to my horror there's a trail of wet behind the car, look underneath and what initially looked like oil leaking out from the rear of the engine bay... from the plate just in front of the cat guard (i think). Moved it to have someone take a look, came back and the same again only this time the fluid is almost clear.. I put my nose in it and it's odorless so I think it might be dirty water, the question is where is it coming from? All my levels are as normal and I haven't noticed anything running rough.

One thing i did notice when poking around in the engine bay is that the driveshafts are wet, someone said I could have a leaky diff? CV boots look fine. I did have the aircon on one bar for both journeys but surely it wouldn't produce enough water under the car at the end of a trip to scare the living daylights out of me... lol. Anyone know where condensation from the aircon normally comes out of the car?

Cheers

Andy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
D'oh - should have done a search, I guess it looks like the air con is to blame. Why I haven't noticed this before I don't know, probably because it's always bloody raining.

Gonna get the car up on a ramp anyway and check for any foul play on the diff just in case.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've been driving round for months using the aircon instead of the heaters because I couldn't be bothered reading the manual... should have pressed the blasted "ECON" button. Think of all the petrol I could have saved! New temp sensor in today so hopefully thats the end of it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts