Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

We're Screwed...

5K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
#1 ·
...if they introduce this new form of speed camera...have no other details, just the photos from another forum. Mind you at least its at the perfect height for vandalism - reversing a knackered Transit into it a few times should do the job.?
Posted ImagePosted Image

See less See more
#52 ·
It might have been safe, but you are at the mercy of others. A lorry could quite easily swerve suddenly across 2 lanes. At 70MPH you may stand a chance. At 150MPH you're brown bread.
This is the problem. I can cruise all day at 140MPH and it feels like 70MPH. But if someone pulls out on me without looking we are both finished, no matter how good the brakes are. There are other factors to consider at this speed too; tyre integrity for one, not to mention the fact that?German autobahns are designed with it in mind, i.e. banked corners, smooth tarmac, etc. UK roads are not. Try doing 100 on a US freeway and you see the same thin - exit ramps are not sweeping enough, corners are not banked and surfaces are not smooth enough to handle those speeds anwyehre near as safely....?
I am not going to deny I drive way too fast alot of the time, but 100+ in the UK is a risky business (if only because it means instant ban if you get caught!)

#53 ·
Before you all get too exercised by simch's 150mph jaunt, going on a thread from him over on Audisport.net, he was in Germany on an Autobahn.

Lose it at 150 anywhere in the world though, and you're likely to end up toast, at least in a road car...
He got it! See, some of the safest roads in the world, here in Germany. And I DID pass a copper in one of the laybyes!

Difference is, German drivers respect speed and the use of speed, they have to, there are places where there is no limit. If a truck pulls into a lane and a Merc oding 155 slams into it, the trucky is in for some serious grief!!

Its just people's perspective, experience and respect for speed that differs. In the UK, there are too many fools stuck in one lane so they can pretty much go to sleep and not stay over to the left as they should. And even more who sit at GPS 68, (indicated 70) in the outside lane for miles and miles, relative speed 1mph more than the twonk they are trying to pass in the middle lane on his phone! Give them a flash, to indicate you are there, and its all gesticulation, V signs etc...................the same losers who happily drive through my village when the school is dropping the kids off at 40+mph......!!

Our roads have developed this way due ot bad driver training, increased traffic loads and too many people used to it and putting up with it.

Sooner police start prosecuting lanehogs and dozy people, (christ going down M20 the other day, a cop cars comes past, blues and twos, I saw him miles off, moved over, getin in behind him, to make some progress! The number of people that he came up behind and sat behind for at least half a mile, before they noticed him.......they should be prosecuted for driving wihtout due care and attention!!) Oh it was an unmarked silver Octavia estate BTW,i stayed in his slipstream for about 10 miles before he started the rear strobes to "warn me off!"!lol!

I drive over here a lot, to be fair more than in the UK nowadays. I have only ever seen the aftermath of one accident on the autobahn, or indeed any main road over here. And yet in the UK, EVERY SINGLE DAY At least one motorway is closed for an accident, and in december it seemed like there were at least 10 accidents on the same motorways every single morning...........? Motorways clogged with traffic and average speeds of only 40mph in some cases, BEFORE the crash! Normally truck drivers involved, often foreign, often defective vehicles......! But tell me, how many times do they set the speed cameras to 45 on a trunk road and cathc all the truckers speeding? How often do the "safety vans" set their speed limit fo rth camera at 58mph, to catch all the speeding foreign truckers, (whos trucks will do 70mph!) ............Not very often as its easier to catch car drivers at 75!!

#54 ·
I was doing 150mph last night in my S3, it was completely safe. High concentration level, of course, dual cariageway road, trucks on the inside lane, doing 100mph faster than them.

Police I think actually turn a blind eye to most motorway speeding nowadays, as they see it as archaeic too. More important is the manner in which we speed..........do an agressive 75mph and they will do you! Do a sensible relaxed 85 and you may well get away with it. Common sense and discretion is often displayed by our traffic officers, something which speed cameras cannot have.
I doubt a copper would turn a blind eye to 150MPH on a public road...

It might have been safe, but you are at the mercy of others. A lorry could quite easily swerve suddenly across 2 lanes. At 70MPH you may stand a chance. At 150MPH you're brown bread.
BTW, be careful of s elective quoting there Bazking.....!! That is not quite how I said it in my post, is it.......!! lol!! !!! :)

For the record, driving 19 years, 0 points, 0 accidents, do 30k a year in cars and on bikes!! Cannot be too bonkers, can I!!?? :)

#55 ·
speed is no problem, its the drivers awareness thats a issue.

i travel up and down the A45 (wellingborough to northampton) tues - friday, on the way there is a large roundabout just on the outskirts of wellingborough and the amount of pile up's are unbelieveable - as its a dual carriageway if a queue in one lane is long...other drivers will pull out without looking just to drive 15cars down while a car in that lane is trying to stop at 70+ mph and your decreasing the braking distance (since the driver will b doing 5mph) and SLAM...right into the back of the car.

also today...on this country road...and 7.5 tonne truck pulled out in front of me while i was doing 60 in a national limit zone...where the hell was the driver looking? i ended up skidding and ended up at a bit of a angle. there was a police car behind me, the truck driver got pulled over for driving with out due care and attention and got fined too. got a apology too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.