Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

We're Screwed...

5K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
Thats what I thought, but its pertrudes from the barrier enough for there to be an angle mounted camera in there. I.e it takes pictures if the side of the car going past is quite enough to set it off.

Same as the curbside ones I spose, though don't know how they work either. They have them in dustbins in some countries, so would all work on the same premise.

I thought the camera had to be highly visable hence the dayglow yellow front and back to the standard oones you see. As for the carmera seeing all the road all they need is a good wide angle lense then their laughing.

just another way to rob the general public.

Now where did I put the keys to that transit!
That piece of legislation won't last much longer. The safety partnerships have got the go ahead to reduce visability and new cameras can be hidden. Read it on pepipoo which had a link to a news story. It mentioned 'camoflaging' (sp).

This was either coming into effect in 2007 or 2008. The safety partnerships were complaining that drivers could see, react, slow down and then carry on. Therefore reducing saftey.

What this means also is they will not have to publish where their vans are going to be, neither will they have to mark their vans up (not that they do it very well down here, you get 'safety unit' in small writing above the wheel arch and then they sit on a bridge in a grey van). What caught me last time! [:$]

It's easy because apart from jumping red lights (even if you got sirens behind you!!) there is no automatic way to catch a driver driving stupid, for instance too slow and all over the place which we have all witnessed on numerous occasions. No automated way of catching someone not looking at the road and texting. No easy way of catching a driver who's pulling into your lane without looking and pushing you out of the way.

My last 3 points for speeding were due to a girl texting while doing 75 with an exhaust which was bouncing up and down and suddenly found her noise up the rear of another vehicle, so decided to use the lane I was in and I wanted to get past. So did, but have 3 points and am down ?60 for it while she carried on her merry way.

Why? Because mine is easy and automated, therefore, I'm the one thats dangerous.

My last 3 points for speeding were due to a girl texting while doing 75 with an exhaust which was bouncing up and down and suddenly found her noise up the rear of another vehicle, so decided to use the lane I was in and I wanted to get past. So did, but have 3 points and am down ?60 for it while she carried on her merry way.

Why? Because mine is easy and automated, therefore, I'm the one thats dangerous.
Now, do you not see what you did there?! I'm afraid nothing you've said in that sentence persuades me that you were not the one to blame.

Yes, she was doing something dumb, but then so were you. Why couldn't you have waited until you could get past without speeding?

The reason we have cameras in this country in the first place is because people won't take responsibility for their actions in a car. You control the steering, the brakes and the accelerator, so how you can blame anybody else for you speeding is bizarre IMO...

EDIT: And while we're all focused on speed, lets not forget that the vast majority of 'accidents' speed is not the main factor, although it probably makes the consequences a lot worse. Drink and Drug driving are still the big killers in this country I'm afraid.
LOL I'm not denying that I used my right foot to get passed her. You read it wrong, or I explained it wrong.

She was in lane 1 behind car, I was going past her at about 75. Was just lining up to her boot when she decides that shes gonna bring her dodgy rear exhaust into the front of my car. She left about a foot if that, while texting. I had a van behind me, so got round her in the 3rd lane instead of hitting brakes and having a van possibly up my rear.

Bamn, speed van catches it all. They can even see the girl texting, but theres nothing they can do and I should not have been speeding. If in doubt I should have done an emergency stop according to them or pulled over and stopped (dual carriageway with no hard shoulder) and phoned the police.

What are the police going to say? 'erm thanks, but situations gone now hasn't it'.

So yer, the girl whos not looking when changing lanes, texting while on the dual carriageway and with exhaust about to fall off continues on her way and I'm the dangerous one.

Speed cameras are totally useless when it comes to these situations. Whats it done, made the roads safer? No. She carried on oblivious to everything around her. It would of course been MUCH safer for me to stop on the dual carriageway and call the police, or slam the anchors on and have a van up my backside, or of course, play the oblivious game and go into the back of her. Afterall at that point I wasn't speeding.

Might have been safer for me to munch on her exhaust as it came flying though my window?

You will normally find that Tyrone and his maxxed out nova spends a long time bhind the wheel. Infact, most nights hes out there 'avin it large'. Generally driving dangerously and speeding.

You will also find that roughly 80% of these people will not have any points on their licence. If they do it's normally for drink driving where a ban has been put in place. (this is all data from a survey which is on pepipoo about a year ago, cant find it now).

The reason for them speeding all the time and rarely getting caught? They speed around residential areas, council estate, the high street etc etc etc.

And when was the last time you saw a speed camera or van sitting on a council estate with a 20/30 limit?

You will then find that mr rep or long distance driver who spend 90% of the time on the motorway, does not drive dangerously, does not 'eat the tarmac up large innit' will have points on his licence.

Reasoning: People rearely speed through the town centre. There are enough obstacles to make anyone with an ounce of sense slow down. There are more pedestrians than people, kids running around on the pavement with their parents beside them etc. The van sitting in the town centre for SAFETY reasons would make no money. But, would actually be promoting safety. I'm sure if we saw a van sitting in the town centre with parked cars up both sides, pedestrians crossing between them, doors opening etc etc we would actually approve. So, in escence Tyrone get's away with his lunatic driving and rarely do you find a tyrone with speeding fines.

Now, let's move on to Mr motroway mile muncher. Caught out early in the morning in good conditions. NO pedestrians. NO kids. NO doors opening. Just straight, clear road. However, we all find 70 a bit on the slow side. We all know how easy it is to creep over this without even knowing. So who sits there waiting for you to make your honest mistake. Yes, scamera partnerships. Usually found on bridges in a little van.

They know full well they can make thousands doing that. They know full well they would be lucky to make 60 quid in the high street.

Oh, and they call themselves safety partnerships [:^)]

Why are motorways so much more dangerous than council estates with tyrone pulling stunts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.