Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

We're Screwed...

5K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
just another way to rob the general public.
They're not robbing you if you're breaking the law,and that is a law which should be known to everyone who holds a UK drivibg licence.

Chris.
Some laws are bad.

Dunking witches used to be within the law.

A man walking in front of your car with a red flag used to be the law.

Stupid and pointlessly low speed limits are bad law.

But whether you agree with them or not,they are still the law.They are put there for a reason,not to generate a "stealth" tax,the reason being that they are supposed to make drivers slow down to a SAFE speed for any given stretch of road,with the threat of a financial penalty if they drive at a speed consdidered to be dangerous for the road.
If these "pointlessly" low speed limits go someway towards saving even one life,is it not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?

Chris.
No.

Because speed is not the problem and its reduction in most instances is not the answer.

But whether you agree with them or not,they are still the law.They are put there for a reason,not to generate a "stealth" tax,the reason being that they are supposed to make drivers slow down to a SAFE speed for any given stretch of road,with the threat of a financial penalty if they drive at a speed consdidered to be dangerous for the road.
If these "pointlessly" low speed limits go someway towards saving even one life,is it not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?

Chris.
No.

Because speed is not the problem and its reduction in most instances is not the answer.
Ok then,it's a lack of respect for speed that is dangerous,not the speed itself.So what is the ultimate answer then?

Chris.
I don't think there is any ultimate answer.

But blaming speed for everything is not the answer. At the rate we are going, we will soon be back to the man with the red flag. Driver education is probably the best course of action. Afterall if your a bad driver, if your going 40 in a 50, you can still do an awefull lot of damage. I do about 30k a year and would say that almost all accidents I see involve HGV's, they don't and can't speed so where is the logic in the speed based arguement ? Reduce their speed on motorways to 40 ?

Again, what annoys me is when they reduce a speed limit on a road. For example, a road you've been using for years and years with a 60 limit is suddenly reduced to 50 or even 40. Why ? You must have encountered this and must get frustrated about it knowing that the road was perfectly safe with its 60 limit ?

It is easy to blame everything on speed, I wouldn't be supprised if third world debt, the fall of the Roman empire and the fact that smarties no longer have letters embossed on their lid are soon said to be caused by speed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.