Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

We're Screwed...

5K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
few years since I lost my licence for speeding,and that was on a motorbike.Within a couple of days of getting my licence back,I had a very serious accident that I very nearly didn't recover from.This was caused by me driving too fast for the conditions and the road I was on,in fact about 90MPH in a 30MPH zone.It took me nearly three years to walk again after this,and it's made me look at roads,and the way drivers act on them in a completely different way.Beacuse I'd never had even a minor accident before this,I guess I thought they always happen to other people.
I like to think I don't need to rely on any sort of electronic aids to remind me what the speed limits are,but yes I do have my Garmin switched on with the "Points of interest" database loaded whenever I travel any distance.

Chris.
You've said yourself the main reason for some accidents - travelling too fast for the conditions. I don't see how people being penalised for doing 34 in a 30 is actually making the roads any safer. Sure penalise them for 40 - 50 etc but if you think that cameras are purely there to make roads safer then you are being very naive. It's been shown in many counties that speed cameras have done nothing to reduce accidents at all. Lancashire for example has the most speed cameras yet its road death rate is on the rise - go figure.
hi mate,

The road death rate in lancashire is high because people are too busy looking at their clocks (speedo's) and on the side of the road looking for camera's, not looking whats in front.

speed is no problem, its the drivers awareness thats a issue.

i travel up and down the A45 (wellingborough to northampton) tues - friday, on the way there is a large roundabout just on the outskirts of wellingborough and the amount of pile up's are unbelieveable - as its a dual carriageway if a queue in one lane is long...other drivers will pull out without looking just to drive 15cars down while a car in that lane is trying to stop at 70+ mph and your decreasing the braking distance (since the driver will b doing 5mph) and SLAM...right into the back of the car.

also today...on this country road...and 7.5 tonne truck pulled out in front of me while i was doing 60 in a national limit zone...where the hell was the driver looking? i ended up skidding and ended up at a bit of a angle. there was a police car behind me, the truck driver got pulled over for driving with out due care and attention and got fined too. got a apology too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.