Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

We're Screwed...

5K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  marriedblonde 
But whether you agree with them or not,they are still the law.They are put there for a reason,not to generate a "stealth" tax,the reason being that they are supposed to make drivers slow down to a SAFE speed for any given stretch of road,with the threat of a financial penalty if they drive at a speed consdidered to be dangerous for the road.
If these "pointlessly" low speed limits go someway towards saving even one life,is it not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?

Chris.

just another way to rob the general public.
They're not robbing you if you're breaking the law,and that is a law which should be known to everyone who holds a UK drivibg licence.

Chris.
what ever....your telling me that you NEVER EVER EVER speed or have. You can keep to the limit but that one time you just pressed it alittle to much

and get caught your not worried ????
It's a good few years since I lost my licence for speeding,and that was on a motorbike.Within a couple of days of getting my licence back,I had a very serious accident that I very nearly didn't recover from.This was caused by me driving too fast for the conditions and the road I was on,in fact about 90MPH in a 30MPH zone.It took me nearly three years to walk again after this,and it's made me look at roads,and the way drivers act on them in a completely different way.Beacuse I'd never had even a minor accident before this,I guess I thought they always happen to other people.
I like to think I don't need to rely on any sort of electronic aids to remind me what the speed limits are,but yes I do have my Garmin switched on with the "Points of interest" database loaded whenever I travel any distance.

Chris.

But whether you agree with them or not,they are still the law.They are put there for a reason,not to generate a "stealth" tax,the reason being that they are supposed to make drivers slow down to a SAFE speed for any given stretch of road,with the threat of a financial penalty if they drive at a speed consdidered to be dangerous for the road.
If these "pointlessly" low speed limits go someway towards saving even one life,is it not worth giving them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise?

Chris.
No.

Because speed is not the problem and its reduction in most instances is not the answer.
Ok then,it's a lack of respect for speed that is dangerous,not the speed itself.So what is the ultimate answer then?

Chris.

I agree with bazking69 101% when he says it was totally mindless,although this was a very long time ago,and I was young and foolish at the time,my driving constantly like a total pratt was inexcusable,and I deserved to die for my total lack of common sense,or respect for the safety of others.I would probably have slowed down gradually as time passed,as everyone (or most people) does,but I should not have been driving like that in the first place,that goes without saying.
I would also like to see a lot more police traffic cars on the roads keeping as high a profile as possible,as the only time that everyone (or almost everyone) behaves themselves is when a police car is visible.
And as has already been pointed out,no accident ever just "happened",they are all caused by human error.

Chris.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.