Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening guys,

Went to take a look at the Golf R32 yesterday. The general condition of the car was Very Good. Just a couple of marks on the door where it looks like that banged it on the wall and a couple of marks on the alloy, but nothing major.

As it was from the Dealer I?d thought I?d ask about the Software ECU upgrade. He said it wasn't a VW recall so it wouldn't be done by VW. I thought I remembered seeing someone saying on this forum that they had the Software upgrade done in their VW service?? Could anyone enlighten me on this?

After spending sometime talking to the guy about prices I came to the conclusion that it was at least ?1000 overpriced. I've seen the same thing at one of their other garages (10 miles away) for 1k less. I'll be going to take a look at that soon!

If anyone could help me on the ECU question that would be wonderful!

Cheers guys

Darren

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'll try not to be derogatory about the dealership staff so here's my first go:

- maybe it was the terminology you used, the software updates (rather than upgrade) are VW OEM updates provided by VW HQ Germany on a CD ROM to the dealerships The version required was released on July 16th (I think) give or take one day was version 6 software update. Any dealership worth their salt will know this, although what you have experienced is not uncommon

- but I prefer to say that the dealership is being lazy and lacking in due diligence to its customers by attempting to fob you off with their poor/lack of/negligent product knowledge[:(!]

The impact of this ECU update will make the car smoother in power delivery, more responsive, deal with any hesitation some owners experience and iron out any flat pots too. Not insignificant[!]

Negotiate hard on price, if you think ?1000 is the premium push for ?2000 and be prepared to walk away because on this forum you have quality R32's (in the classifieds) in fab condition which personally I would buy before a dealer's car. AND I did[^]

AND finally, I had the update completed on my car (R32) like many others at a VW dealership in early August[;)]

·
Registered
336 Posts
Quote: posted by darrenR32 on 03/10/2004 19:16:00

did it cost you anything for the update?

Nope its a factory VW periodic update/improvement. No charge and don't let the dealer convince you any different. The R32 is still under warranty and therefore, no cost

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Just be aware the dealer wil have that up at about 3-4k above what he bought it for! You should aim for a grand off even if it was perfect for you in every way. If not, go for 1500+.

The price of the R32 does seem to be dropping a bit now, and it will take a further dip fi a new one is announced...?

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Now the lot in Gatwick well as the serviced my car three times, and they are pathetic so now surprise the sales guy did not have a clue.

If you want the car then push the dealer I had one bring a 1.8t all the way from reading to crawley as I could not get to him, be very specific that you are only looking for mint condition and that you are serious and they will do alot for you if they are worth there salt.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Notice u havent mentioned Caffyns in Haywards Heath, where your from! Dont go there!! There customer care is shocking, but the guy has left, so it may be better now!

Quote: posted by dazzaR32 on 04/10/2004 17:40:38

It was Sidlow Gatwick. I'm going to Sidlow in Horsham for a chat with the sales guy down there.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Quote: posted by darrenR32 on 03/10/2004 18:25:21

Went to take a look at the Golf R32 yesterday. The general condition of the car was Very Good. Just a couple of marks on the door where it looks like that banged it on the wall and a couple of marks on the alloy, but nothing major.

Beats me why you are looking at a Dealers when I have a perfectly mint car sat on my driveway for sale!! [:p]

After spending sometime talking to the guy about prices I came to the conclusion that it was at least ?1000 overpriced.

Dealers will be over priced, and they are unlikely to budge on price. Now mine is reasonably priced for a car less than 10 months old, and I am open to negotiations on price.

Sales patter over.... come see me! I need the money ASAP!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm keeping mine for a loooong time and have no need to "free up cash" yet (tempting fate of course).

Any freed up cash is duly spent on the R32 and fuel.

And beer/wine.

And holidays.

And the left overs on the wife.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 07/10/2004 19:38:25

I'm keeping mine for a loooong time and have no need to "free up cash" yet (tempting fate of course).

Any freed up cash is duly spent on the R32 and fuel.

And beer/wine.

And holidays.

And the left overs on the wife.

Man you've got your priorities sorted out just right!

Fun first, Women last

AMEN

1 - 20 of 21 Posts