Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sat in a 320ci sport and my God I am in love...

The M door sills, the 18" wheels, the chunky steering wheel, the sports seats, just EVERYTHING!

I took pictures with the camera phone but I've no idea how to send them as an email which is a pity.

I didn't get to drive it but will tomorrow.

Only prob is I've lost a lot of money on the A3 due to it being so loaded with extras so not too sure at the moment what I'm going to do.

EDIT: I have more a less decided against it now but these pics will help you see why I liked it so much [^]

Only a picture phone so sorry about quality...double click to open them fully.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
God Irish you're always changing your cars [:p]

Personally I like the A3 over the 3 series beemer - classier IMO

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Friend of mine has just bought a 2003 325Ci convertable

Auto, electric grey leather seats, 18inch wheels, parking sensors, HArmon Kardon

Nice car, ride's very very smoothly (well anything does compared to my car!), quite quick, gets alot of looks too.

It's certainly a different experience to a VAG car, not sure I 'feel' it, but yeah, nice cars

If you change cars regularly, I'd say get it. Cause a new 3series is just around the corner

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I couldn't pick out too much between them in terms of class but there was just something so nice about it, the interior is just lovely and with the M kit on it and everything it just looked so well.

I asked him about the new 3 series, he said the coupe won't be out until 2006.

With the price he offered for the A3 though I'd have to get the BMW through my Audi stealer the price was that bad.

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're considering a 3 series then I would go for at least a 325i. IMO the 320 performance will feel very flat after a 2.0TDI. Check the figs; 170bhp OK but only 155lb/ft at @3500 in quite a heavy car.(@1430kg)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not an option Micky..too much money for a 2.5 the way VRT on cars works here, I'm only 22 so insurance would be insane too. I had thought about it compared to the 2.0TDI I have, thought about the 320CD but I think once you get it wound up, the 320 will shift a bit too, enough for what I need anyway.

Anyway unless Mr Audi sorts something out for me it won't be happening.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
You'll lose too much on the A3 IMO to switch yet. Stick with what you've got and wait for the new 3 series or you could lose a whole stack of cash when the current 3 series loses value.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I agree with Matt and I know as I had one. The 320 is underpowered and I regretted not stretching to the 325. Well worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Irish, youre selling the A3 already!!! [:O]

Didnt have that long did you?

Saw a beemer 330CD the other day....VERY nice, I want one of those!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well if I do change the A3 it will be in Jan/Feb but most cars take 3 months if ordering new so would need to decide soon if I am going to change.

·
Registered
107 Posts
the interior is just lovely

[xx(]eh?

I'd say that the interior of BMW cars is one of their biggest let downs!! They all look the same - whether its a little 3 series or an X5 -

Was well dissappointed with that -

I'd stick out the A3 for a bit longer - wait til new 3 series is released

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by sutherlandm on 14/09/2004 12:24:11

Irish - Did you suddenly feel a strong urge to tailgate the other cars in the showroom, cut the salesman up and sneer at everyone...?!![:D]

He does this already. It's just he's been doing it an Audi [:eek:)]

·
Registered
55 Posts
I didn?t like the power from the 318ci when I test drove it last yr nor was the V6 320 any better, even with leather the interior is dull and plain there was no way the price could be justified in the ci.

With the new 3 series out next yr you can expect prices to drop on the ci (they already have started to drop) even though the ci's won?t get updated till 2006 as a 4 series the prices have already started to drop on 01-02 models.

I wouldn?t listen to any dealer telling me prices wont drop, did he give you the 1 series tour while you were there. I was quite frank when a dealer started telling me how about a 1 series over the A3 - 1 series looks like a piece of poo poo whatever about RWD its resembles an ugly bird with a tit job - its still ugly no matter how you pump it up! A3 sportback over it anyday.

·
Registered
270 Posts
3 series doesn't really do anything for me... infact I don't like any beemers and never have done.

Rode in a 320 Sport Coupe and hated it. Interior is dreadfully plain IMO too.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Quote: posted by ClipSe on 14/09/2004 09:47:12

the interior is just lovely

[xx(]eh?

I'd say that the interior of BMW cars is one of their biggest let downs!! They all look the same - whether its a little 3 series or an X5 -

Was well dissappointed with that -

I'm hearing you Irish. I reckon Clip is missing the point. It's not so much the look of the dash- its the feel. The high transmission tunnel with tiny gear stick, the really chunky wheel, the way the centre console is tilted towards the driver. It makes you feel special and that the car is for the driver.

I'm saving for a 320Cd Sport (but only cos the 330Cd is out of my price range!)

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's very clear cut with BMWs, you either like them or you don't.

I remember as a kid being in a mate of of dad's brand new 1988 318 coupe with M pack on it in gun metal grey and I always remembered how the dash was pointed towards the driver and ever since I've always liked BMWs.

I think for the moment though a GTI is more realistic due to trade in against the A3 and new model 3 series not far off.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts