Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my TDI for a month so still viewing the trip computer with interest, generally my average is 45 -56mpg (per trip) as my daily route is a country road - up and down hills and plenty of stop/starts.

Today I did a 35 mile trip, fairly level first part on motorway between 70 & 80mph and then A road at around 50mph but not overtaking as it was busy - just going with the flow. This trip gave me an average of 60.5 MPG[:)]

·
Registered
229 Posts
They arent usually anywhere near this figure with normal driving mine allround averages about 41/2, and if u drive reasonably fast you cant expect much over 37/8 around town, 45ish on motorways

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Sam,

Yours must be playing up.

No matter how hard a razzing I give mine, I always fail to go below 40.

Granted you'll get under 40 on a short journey but anything over 20 miles you shouldn't.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yup, mine averages 52-53mpg per tankful with normal day to day driving. I can get about 730 miles from a tankful if careful.

And it's an old 110 GT TDi with 99k on the clock!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine must be knackered as well! I do a daily round trip of 60miles on the M6....... never get it above 47/48.....doiong about 70-80 all the way.

Could this be caused by a knackered MAF? Or could it be something more serious?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have a 150 TDI PD Anniv. The trip computer gives me up to 53 mpg on long journey and an average of about 49 on normal runs. But from doing the figures are the pump I have actually only got about 43 mpg at best so far.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

With just urban driving this can dip below 40 !!<o:p></o:p>

I did have a heavy right foot but have been driving more conservatively recently :?)<o:p></o:p>

As such I feel the trip computer can be out by as much as 6-7 mpg in real terms. However, my 150 TDI may be using more juice that an equivalent 115....<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

·
Registered
459 Posts
Yup, mine averages 52-53mpg per tankful with normal day to day driving. I can get about 730 miles from a tankful if careful.

The VAG 110 Tdi is probably the best engine VAG made for fuel economy

·
Registered
266 Posts
Last tank i had a total average of 50.6mpg, which gave me 560miles (which i ran to a complete empty just about). The highest mpg on a trip ive had is 64.4mpg on my journey home (26 miles). Its the weather, the warmer it is, the better consumption you have.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I get about 500 miles outta my chipped 115 to the petrol light coming on

This works out to about 48mpg, which I thinks superb considering the amount of shoe leather it sees!

700+ miles!? dont even think my grandma would manage that if she drove it on a 700 mile downhill

·
Registered
189 Posts
Just back from a work trip to Birmingham and got 670miles from one full tank! And that was 70-80 mph most the way. I have found that if you start off in the morning nice and easy without belting it too soon, then you will get much better mpg the rest of the day.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They arent usually anywhere near this figure with normal driving mine allround averages about 41/2, and if u drive reasonably fast you cant expect much over 37/8 around town, 45ish on motorways
Thats true, my 60mpg is my best so far, my normal route to work gives 45mpg average going (generally uphill over 16miles) and coming home 50mpg (generally downhill towards coast but still lots of up and downs!) and not having to sit in traffic so my right foot is heavier!

·
Registered
182 Posts

By the way, my MPG readout shows far lower than this, usually mid 40s, but I don't take too much notice of that! I work it out the proper way comparing miles and litres when refilling.

Not bad considering i've been Revo'd too!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hello Mantamad,

My work trip is similar to your own and my average is a little over 50mpg.

Long motorway trips at 70-80mph return around 55mpg, with a record of 61mpg being held by my other half driving at 65-70mph from Bath to Leeds. (Yes, I did fall asleep during that journey [;)])

All figures are calculated by brimming the tank. I find that the computer is usually optimistic by 1-2 mpg with the average mpg figure.

All good stuff and the warmer weather certainly has helped.

·
Registered
646 Posts
My Tuned TDI is doing about 450 miles to a Full tank ?45 worth of fuel....this is mixed driving motorway and town and foot to the boards most of the time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
The 115PD, despite being lower power than the other PD's, always seems to give worse fuel economy than the others for some reason.

I've seen 53MPG on mine ONCE on a long drive to Wales with two mates and a tonne of camping gear in the car, and never seen it since. Seem to average around mid to high 30's and low 40's on my daily commute, etc..

MFA2 reckons my overall average is 41.1MPG.. not epic, but still a crap load better than a petrol car! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I drive 3 times a week to college and back. Half the journey is hilly twisty country road, then onto a dual carriage way for the other half of the trip. Normally I drive the car fairly quick, overtaking most people on the country section, but not driving over the 60 limit by too much, then sitting at 60 along the dual carriage way, and I can get it to 50mpg easy. Although I do drive a TDi90 so that might explain it, on the motorway after a good journey I'd be lucky to see 50mpg due to the lack of 6th gear.
Can't wait till friday though, I pick up my bora TDi pd130, the test drive did show it was better everywhere, apart from maybe Miles Per Gallon.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts

The VAG 110 Tdi is probably the best engine VAG made for fuel economy
Ive heard the 110 is the most fuel efficient diesel engine of its time for 110bhp.

My trip meter actually under reads by about 1-2 mpg. It read 45mpg and at the pumps it worked out about 46mpg and on more than 1 occasion..

Happy with mine, even with my set up and this time of year and making use of the power lots, I always get an average of 45mpg. The other day cruising between 60 and 70 mph over 20 miles i averaged 60 mph.

·
Registered
1 Posts
well guys i drive a Mk4 Polo at the moment 1l and does about 25mpg lol

hope to be collecting my new motor on tues or wed, a Bora ST 130 TDi, hope to see better than 25mpg from it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts