Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Who you having it done by and how much? Got a friend who did it himself on his wife's Beetle looks sweet when you turn them on they start purple for a few seconds then go incredibly bright white well cool :)

Will auto light's etc still work with the conversion?

Chris

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
GJV001

I'm going for the HID's 4U ultimate kit, which I'm told come with the VW type bulb (burner) holders.

6000K is the suggested rating. best light output and colour balance.

Chris

M style near Romford are doing the job,they are mainly BMW tuners, but have come recommended, and are also HID's 4 U agents and fitting centre.

As for auto lights, yes no change.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Looking forward to your pics with the 6000k units.

Mine has the standard 4300k and they are bright but I've heard the 6000k look much better - nice and blue [:D]

·
Registered
310 Posts
I would make sure they code the central convenice module to switch from standard lights to xenons as it lowers the voltage on the standard lights which can cause Xenons to flicker and possible damage the ballasts. When you switch the module over (very easy with vagcom) it bumps the voltage back up. If you have a look at www.vwvortex.com if this isn't done Xenons won't work properly.

edit: Just read the product description for the lights seems they have special ballasts for the MK5 to overcome this, I would still try and code vagcom if you/they can.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looking forward to your pics with the 6000k units.

Mine has the standard 4300k and they are bright but I've heard the 6000k look much better - nice and blue [:D]
I'm surprised GIV0001 as I thought standard was 5200k. either way photos too follow

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would make sure they code the central convenice module to switch from standard lights to xenons as it lowers the voltage on the standard lights which can cause Xenons to flicker and possible damage the ballasts. When you switch the module over (very easy with vagcom) it bumps the voltage back up. If you have a look at www.vwvortex.com if this isn't done Xenons won't work properly.
Hi Dave, Ive had a long chat with the top Man at HID's 4U, who told me the MK5 kit has been a long time coming, and that they supply an extra ballast of some sort to stop flicker and bulb failure warning from coming up, I can only hope he's being straight with me.

Web link below

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product_details.asp?id=282

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yeup just read the bit on there page after I posted (really should have read it first !), sounds like they have it covered.  Although if you know anyone with vagcom you can disable the bulb failure warning on the headlights and switch them over to xenons.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeup just read the bit on there page after I posted (really should have read it first !), sounds like they have it covered. Although if you know anyone with vagcom you can disable the bulb failure warning on the headlights and switch them over to xenons.
That's worth knowing Dave, thanks, I don't have Vagcom or know anyone who has [;)]

·
Registered
141 Posts
If it was Ian at Hids4u you spoke to, then he's a top bloke who talks straight and doesn't give you any nonsense!

If he says it'll work, then it will! Mind you, I've found everybody from Hids4u extremely helpful.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I believe the standard are either Philips or Osram units and are quoted as being between 4100k-4300k (depending on manufacturer) they give good light but the only blue with them is usually created from the optics in the headlamp not the HID unit itself...

Next step up is the 6000k, 8000k, 10000k etc.....

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Athough I think the blue look is nice, I don't want to sacrifice any light output, so I'm hoping 6000k is going to be a good balance.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
When i had my GTi i bought some xenon bulbs from Foxy's GB, i got the 6000K the light output wasnt as good as the standard (4300K???)

6000K were (Very Blue) to me, after a few weeks i put the standard ones back in. Dont think i would go 6000K if i was to get them for my A3, just my opinion..

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
When i had my GTi i bought some xenon bulbs from Foxy's GB, i got the 6000K the light output wasnt as good as the standard (4300K???)

6000K were (Very Blue) to me, after a few weeks i put the standard ones back in. Dont think i would go 6000K if i was to get them for my A3, just my opinion..
You got me worried Curley, so I contacted HID's 4U again, and they have revised the kits, which now come with 5100k, lets hope there OK.

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
After i wrote it i thought [:O] but IMHO mine were just way too blue so the light output was less.

Sorry to worry you mate, just giving my opinion..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts