Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a grille badge, just like the GTI badge on the rear, with the red 'I'. It looks good and it appears to be an OEM part. The question is, where exactly should I mount it? I tried clipping it just to the right of the headlight on the driver's side but it slides about the grille. I notice that there are a couple of vertical slats set back in the grille a bit further to the right. Should I try fitting them between this? I don't want to experiment too much or - being hamfisted - I'll end up breaking the badge or yanking off the grille. Anyone got any badge fitting experience?

Russ

·
Registered
386 Posts
I've had the gti babge on the gill for about a year or so, as far as i can remember, i had to cut the badge, so an up-right section in the grill lines up, and stops it sliding side2side. (A Dremel sorts it quick).

I cant remember any more, it was a while ago.

·
Registered
842 Posts
if its the grill badge i think it is, (non anni writng) the badge is for the vw lupo, ordered one a few months back and when it did'nt fit, the  only way to fit it on way to either hack away at the grill or mod the badge abit, i was'nt too keen to hack my grill myself, so did'nt use it in the end, managed to find a lupo owner in the end and gave it away.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I have had it sitting in my grill as it came for about 6 months now.
It moves about if you play with it but if you drive along normally it
doesnt do anything. Tested up to 135mph and some hard breaking thrown
in for good measure..

Nobody around my area knows its just hanging there, else im sure it would have been whipped away by now... ;)

I do know people have cable tied it behind the grill but i cannot be bothered with that.

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah, you got a lupo gti badge, on my 1.8t I got an anni badge, removed the letters and replaced with standard gti lettering. This clipson the grill properly then and there aint no sliding

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the badge from these guys: http://search.ebay.co.uk/_W0QQsassZwolfsburg-partsQQhtZ-1

It took a bloody eternity to arrive and, when it did, it was just packed in a jiffy bag, so gawd knows how it made it in one piece. Anyway, it appears to be an OEM part and the guy who sold it claims this to be the case. In his other items (like the red American-stylee Anniversary grille badge) he states quite clearly that it is a DIY job, so I've no reason to disbelieve him. He also says that it isn't a Lupo/Polo part. And having tried it, he seems to be telling the truth. It clips perfectly onto the grille, although it does slide from side to side, as you'd expect (hence my original post).

How/where are the badges on the TDi, V5, R32 fixed? I want it to look as authentic as possible rather than a bodge job (which of course it is).

Russ

·
Registered
873 Posts
Iv got the same badge on mine. I sanded the notches off the pegs and super glued it top and bottom to my grill. Looks perfect. Iv got blue I's on mine though [:D]

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
OEM Golf GTI grille badges fit perfectly, so you probably haven't got an OEM one! They are not worth buying off ebay usually at over inflated prices, the dealers sell them for about £9 including VAT if I remember.

On my GTI you needed to locate a slightly recessed area to the right of the offside headlamp this is where it is designed to clip in. Just don't get it too much right and near the centre badge it just looks wrong.

If you make a mistake, don't worry just open the bonnet and you can pinch the clips together from the rear of the grille and with a gentle pull forward the badge comes off. Just try again until you are happy with it.

This photo shows where it goes when you get to it to clip in the right place:

Posted Image

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Iv got the same badge on mine. I sanded the notches off the pegs and super glued it top and bottom to my grill. Looks perfect. Iv got blue I's on mine though [:D]
Ooh, you lucky beggar. I was looking everywhere for a blue one!

Russ

·
Registered
225 Posts
Anyway, it appears to be an OEM part and the guy who sold it claims this to be the case. He also says that it isn't a Lupo/Polo part. And having tried it, he seems to be telling the truth.

Russ
It cannot be an OEM golf badge as there was never a grill badge made for the golf with a red i

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I stuck it on at lunchtime and I'm pleased with the result. I'll put a picture on here when I get a mo. I might use the superglue suggestion, just to hold it firmly in place, but it's reasonably well fixed without.

Russ

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have the same badge.

take off your grille (easy peesie) then used a couple of black cable ties to fix it securely to the grille,

It will not move or slide and as a bonus cannot be nicked.

Rb

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The trouble with securing the grille badge with ties or glue is that if the scum really want your badge they will break the grille getting it off.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got a similar badge on mine; got it from vagparts.com for about £7-8 including postage. This style of badge was never fitted to a mk4 Golf, so it'll definitely be a Polo (or Lupo) badge you've got - it does clip straight on but I secured mine with a bit of glue because although it won't fall off, it was possible to pull it off quite easily.

I've fitted mine in the same place a V5 / V6 would have the badge, it sits next to a vertical thing behind the grille so you know what to line it up to...

(sorry, no pics)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts