Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What can I say! The second day into 2007 and my girlfriend's Golf gets broken into and they make off with a portable DVD player and her Sony Viao laptop which were in her boot whilst we were having a meal. Oh and some Cd's.

I believe they used the Achilles heel of the Mk4 Golf to get in and lets just say they knew what they were doing as there was minimal damage and no fingerprints. So if anyone is offered a Portable DVD player in a cloth case and no box or manual, or a Sony Viao laptop with no charger or manual in the Sandhurst area then please let me know as WE would love to get our hands on them (both the little bastards and the goods) as the police seem less than interested.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
It's an awful thing to happen, especially around the festive period & we should all be extra careful with expensive goodies around.
AFAIK there is no exploit to allow anyone into the boot but I might be wrong?

Your post has been edited, the swear filter is there for a reason no matter how wound up you are, please don't try to get around it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Obviously thinking of delocking the car now, so can anyone tell me am I going to have to get hold of another barrel before I can do this mod or can it be done without a barrel in place?

Thanks...

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I got mine broken into the same way, a week after I bought it.

I took the lock mechanism out of the barrel, found a M8 coach bolt that fitted. I used an old socket as a spacet and found a spring washer and 2 nuts. Tightened up onto the spring washer, leaving a bit of play (tight enough to not rattle, but loose enough to spin, if someone tries to drill it!) and then just bought the plastic cover and sprayed it[Y]

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Doesn't get you into the boot though does it? Obviously it's a good idea to delock for the other reason anyway

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Mine don't lock. I guess there'd be no point as you'd have access by removing/breaking the parcel shelf.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Sorry about the theft, really but what where you thinking leaving a laptop and a dvd player in car.... it was bound to happen even if they were out of view...

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Interesting point of view there Andy explain to me how it was bound to happen ? if they where out of view.

I agree that you should not leave valuable stuff in your car and I dont but it does still not explain your above comment.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Interesting point of view there Andy explain to me how it was bound to happen ? if they where out of view.

I agree that you should not leave valuable stuff in your car and I dont but it does still not explain your above comment.
Think what Andy's talking about would commonly be known as sod's law...i.e. I was considering leaving my car uninsured for a few days over Christmas (and not driving it before anybody says something), but that would be the day it was bound to catch fire or be stolen, so I didn't

·
Registered
437 Posts

Probably assumes the thievs saw the items being put in the boot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give you the dvd player as the girlfriend should have taken it out of the boot, but the laptop was only in the boot because we had been round a friends showing them holiday photos and stopped off at a pub restaurant for something to eat on the way home. Both items were left in the boot and out of sight, and the lovely chap/lady moved the rear seats forward to get into the boot.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
IT's called sods law, bit like I leave my car at my regular drinking hole, however if I advised my mate to, you know something will happen and it will be on my head.. So I never say go on leave it mines ok here..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just thought be worth saying about that seller, they are a VW Main Dealer, have used them myself and they are good firm, very helpful.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts