Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so the weather is looking good and there's nothing planned this weekend so im planning on experimenting with afew new detailing products. After reading up on things for what must have been the last 2 or 3 months and deciding not to go the crazy and buy everything first off i thought ok i'm going to get myself some Megs clay and a sample of klasse AIO and finish with NXT wax but i have afew questions.

1. First wash before clay, would you advice me to use a heavy solution of fairy liquid in warm/hot water?

2. Clay, going with the meg's stuff seeing as its available locally, question: im tempted to use normal and save the quick detailing spray for another time (is it useful to use as anything other than lub for clay?), also will a mix of warm water and zymol car shampoo do the trick? Apply using spray bottle or just chuck aload of suds on before i wipe over with clay?

3. Going to wash again after clay with Zymol shampoo then set about on the Klasse AIO. Whats best to apply this with, micro-fibre cloth or pad or normal application pad? Going to remove with normal microfibre cloth after letting it go off a little, is this correct?

4. Meg's NXT wax on top of this all, number of coats will depend on how much time/daylight is left.

I do have a bottle of AG Super Resin Polish and im tempted to give the bonnet a quick once over before the AIO application, would this be benefically at all (i do have some minor swirl marks)? Any other tips you can suggest, mainly that doesnt mean buying more stuff...?

Looking forward to some comments, thanks....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
so the weather is looking good and there's nothing planned this weekend so im planning on experimenting with afew new detailing products. After reading up on things for what must have been the last 2 or 3 months and deciding not to go the crazy and buy everything first off i thought ok i'm going to get myself some Megs clay and a sample of klasse AIO and finish with NXT wax but i have afew questions.

1. First wash before clay, would you advice me to use a heavy solution of fairy liquid in warm/hot water?

2. Clay, going with the meg's stuff seeing as its available locally, question: im tempted to use normal and save the quick detailing spray for another time (is it useful to use as anything other than lub for clay?), also will a mix of warm water and zymol car shampoo do the trick? Apply using spray bottle or just chuck aload of suds on before i wipe over with clay?

3. Going to wash again after clay with Zymol shampoo then set about on the Klasse AIO. Whats best to apply this with, micro-fibre cloth or pad or normal application pad? Going to remove with normal microfibre cloth after letting it go off a little, is this correct?

4. Meg's NXT wax on top of this all, number of coats will depend on how much time/daylight is left.

I do have a bottle of AG Super Resin Polish and im tempted to give the bonnet a quick once over before the AIO application, would this be benefically at all (i do have some minor swirl marks)? Any other tips you can suggest, mainly that doesnt mean buying more stuff...?

Looking forward to some comments, thanks....
If you are going for a fresh start, yeah, use the fairy liquid, however, unless you paint is dire and need real attention, dont bother dude..just car shampoo to get the dirt off will be fine, but ensure you rinse after the first wash for double the length of time you normally would, cos if you get a bit of grit under the clay bar, boy, you may aswell use a brillo pad!

and the lube of the car shampoo mix will be perfect, dont waste the expensive quick detailer....the same solution you just used for washing the car would be fine...(clean water would be better though!)

apply with applicator pad if you can, it will absorb less of your expensive products, but as for the best for actaul application, its personal preference. Personally i opt for the pads.

you should only need one coat of the NXT wax, however, if you have used the fairy liquid, then two would be beneficial.

and as for the polish, go for it! only you will be able to tell if you have made a difference.......but it wont do any harm!

remember before an after pictures though dude!

one product you will need though.........meguiars endurance tyre shine......make the world of difference to the finished product.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the advice dude, yeah the car is looking filthy at the moment so the before, during and after shots should look pretty impressive (fingers crossed).  I've read loads of forums and site about advice on clay so i'm feeling pretty confident, like you said think i'll save the quik detialing spray for another time.  Am i right in thinking the SRP should be used between claying and the AIO?  Going to purchase a bottle of AG Vinyl & Rubber care so i can use it on the interior aswel as the tyres....

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
no no no......

DO NOT USE THE SAME PRODUCT ON THE INTERIOR AS THE TYRES (especially AG stuff!!!)

just use a damp cloth on the interior.

why? dash you want looking clean, not glossed, and the tyres you want looking glossed and clean.....

megs endurance stuff smells amazing, and lasts on the tyres for ages, its continually rated as the best tyre product......

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
diito megs tyre gel lasts for a long time and you dont have to use much at all!

ive used other stuff before foams, sprays, but the gel is the best.

also recommend getting some ag bumper care for the unpainted plastic parts I find it gives a nice shine.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the advice guys, i'll have to look into the megs tyre gel stuff instead of the AG stuff, agree that i dont want the dash being shiney, thats is definately a no no, just want a little protection.  I've used AG bumper care before and agree its good stuff but seeing as i have very little unpainted black bits think i'll be alrite to go without.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so saturday arrived and the weather was clear and dry as predicted, started off frosty but that soon disapeared. Pictures of the car before its first wash (shamefully dirty [:$]):

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Washed using the two bucket technique with Zymol Shampoo. Worked well and left car looking alot better for it. Then started on the clay (meg's). Used a fresh bucket of water with a heavy concentrate of AG shampoo/conditioner for the lub. Must have taken the best part of 90 minutes to do the entire car, the worst places seemed to be around the wheels (removing tar deposits i'm guessing and the rear), suprisingly the front of the car didnt seem that bad. Picture of clay after using on rear (ready to be remoulded). Could definately feel the difference in smoothness, not sure about making it easier to apply polish/wax, didnt notice anything massively different

Posted Image

After clay gave another quick wash down with Zymol and chamois'ed off until dry.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Then on with the Klasse All In One (AIO). Applied using applicator pad using very little per panel. Seemed easy enough to apply, covered entire car before wiping off using microfibre. Removal required some pressure when compared to removing NXT but nothing unusual i guess. By this time the evening was closing in and unfortunately dampness in the air was making it impossible to completely remove the AIO from the bonnet and roof (ended up just having to leave it semi-smeared[:(])

Posted Image

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Andy_Green/12.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Andy_Green/15.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Andy_Green/13.jpg
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d157/Andy_Green/14.jpg

Didnt have chance to put and NXT wax on which was a shame because I really wanted to get the whole car looking perfect, I'll put that on the next time I wash and also see how the AIO is working. I was impressed with the clay and what it managed to remove and it seemed easy enough to use. Overall yeah car is looking clean and shiney once more, would i use all the bits again; yeah most probably....

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i bought a bottle of

Posted Image

but didnt have chance to apply any cos i ran out of light and my arm at that time was about to drop off after a furious 45mins of applying the AIO and trying to remove it. The smell reminds me of another product i've used but dont remember what tho.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Very nice.... [Y][Y]

The clay certanly removed some crud dint it [:O]

The AIO is a bit of a swine to remove isnt it, did you use a damp applicator & do it panel by panel, or apply to the whole car & then remove ??

You wait to see the shine once you have NXT on too, best to wear your shades as the shine will dazzle you for sure

You wont goo wrong with that tyre gel, its the bussiness [Y]

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JACE: Yep AIO required some effort to remove, similar to when i've used AG Super Resin Polish.. Didnt use a damp applicator, just sparingly used straight on to the pad then onto the car. Did the entire car then went back to remove. Next time i use it i'll try it panel by panel, i.e. apply then remove.

TYLERAMA: I to was expecting the AIO to be a thin clear liquid (like AG Extra Gloss Protection) but it is infact a clouldy cream colour and fairly thick. I'd liken it to AG Super Resin Polish.

I only used about 1/2 of the clay supplied and found that to be plenty enough. Quickly gave the front headlights and windscreen a quick wipe over to see if it would remove any marks, windscreen this morning did seem clear but then it always does after a wash.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
Very nice, looks like you've swapped in a new car. Doesn't the clay scratch the car at all? I'm genuinely scared to try it.
making sure its well lubed is the secret to not scratching.....if you dont, then you will end up with a car looking like someone has drawn on it with a crayon

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice, looks like you've swapped in a new car. Doesn't the clay scratch the car at all? I'm genuinely scared to try it.
like Essex Escy said you just have to remember to keep the clay and car panel well lubed and also regularly remould the clay (fold it over on itselfs afew times, roll into a ball in your hands a flatten into a small disc shape). I decided to simply use a bucket of warm water with some normal car shampoo in then simply wipe the panel with my washmit and squeeze out some suds above the panel so that they run over it repeating this process every 30secs. I found this worked well plus with the Meg Quik Clay you get to save the Quik Detailer spray for what its meants for. CLICK HERE for a link to Autopia and a full in-depth guide into detailing your car with clay, should put your mind at rest and give you the confidence to try....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.