Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys its week 15 at last. My car is confirmed to be built this week. Looking through some of the recent posts I think there are quite a few of us with wk15 as a build week.

Anyway, managed to sell my old car privately yesterday for 2k more than VW offered me so my garage lies empty in anticipation.

Decided to call into dealer yesterday to see if they had any trade ins they would sell for a few hundred quid (not sure how to get to work!!). No joy with trade in but they did say it is quite possible I would have my car before the end of April. So here's hoping for a bank holiday weekend of driving and polishing my new toy.

Steve.

PS. Still haven't seen one on the road yet.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Quote: posted by steve-GTI on 10/04/2005 11:38:03Steve.

PS. Still haven't seen one on the road yet.

Hi Steve, Cramlington just North of me? (Killingworth)...get yourself to Killy Morrisons car park...saw three MK V GTi's in parked up in there while looking for a space to park yesterday!!!!.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This is a bit 'off-topic' but I received a letter from VW saying that my car (2.0TDI 4mo) was 'now in production'.

Roughly how long before it will be delivered? (bearing in mind they said 10 weeks just over a week ago!)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Steve

Our GTI is also being built this week after ordering in late Jan...Cannot wait!

Anway, we had a nasty old Peugeot 307 that was on 3 year contract hire that went back on Friday and our VW garage have given us a brand new 2.0 Beetle to use FOC until the GTI arrives (only had 10 miles on the clock!)BLOCKED SCRIPTinsertsmilie('[:)]')

Thought this was quite good of them, especially after hearing all the stealer stories on here!

Here's hoping they come in time for Bank Holiday anwayhttp://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/images/icon_mi_10.gif

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice of your dealer black5door.

Was this something you pre-arranged when you ordered because you knew your car had to go back ?

Steve

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wonder how many week fifteeners we've got here, then. Please keep us updated with any information you get between now and delivery/collection. It'll give us all an idea of what to expect, perhaps. My dealer reckoned the car should be built by the end of the week, and ready for collection before the end of the month. We'll see...

·
Registered
440 Posts
Hi Steve,

Mine's in for next week as well [:D], just rang on Friday to confirm.

I can see a bit of a lack of concentration at work for the next three weeks.

Are you going to phone VW Customer services next week to get updates? [:I]

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What info do you need if you phone Customer Services?

Dealer did say though that it didn't matter if the car was built at the start or at the end of the week, because they all get shipped together. Not sure if this is true.

You would have thought in this day and age that you could check the status on a VW factory website at any time after ordering.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You need the commission number, which is a six-digit number.

The dealer should have this number, although when I phoned Customer services the first time they phoned my dealer and got it for me.

I don't think your car will be built on any one day, as far as I know it takes a week to build the car from start to finish. If you phone Customer services during the week they can tell you at what stage of production it is on.

I was over at the Factory last year and got the tour and it is well worth a visit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ordered mine on 30/01, adn visited the dealer today. He has informed me that the car has been built and is undergoing final checks. Delivery expected early May!!! Cant wait....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote: posted by VW R32 on 10/04/2005 19:31:28

Ordered mine on 30/01, adn visited the dealer today. He has informed me that the car has been built and is undergoing final checks. Delivery expected early May!!! Cant wait....

Excellent to hear that. Seems a bit of a long wait though if the car is already built. I would imagine that the car should get to you sooner but they are just playing it safe with the dates. I dunno though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Mine got pushed back to week 16 after I added things to the order but as I'm getting ?30 a week interest on my money in the bank I can live with a week (well that's what i'm trying to convince myself). Still hoping for some bank holiday driving but the weather will probably be crap.

Organising a holday in normandy for end of May and deciding whether to take GF's A3 (2.0TDi S-Line) or my GTi. Trying to justify the 50% worse fuel consumption with the fact mine's going to have cruise control.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I am a week 15'er too. I am hoping it arrives before the bank holiday weekend so I can go and pick it up (dealer is 200 miles away). Hopefully it all goes smoothly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Good to hear Steve, hope you get it before the bank holiday.

I've yet to see another on the road around our way too. Mine is up to 2000 miles now and pulling like a train!

No probs either, except for self inflicted damage to the Xenons [:I].

Cheers

Ken

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just been told build week 20 for my GTI. Ordered it on the 11th Feb. The dealer was very reluctant to give me the commission number when I asked - "What d'ya wanna know that for?" as if it was on some kind of need-to-know basis Grrr! Can see a letter of complaint brewing once I get my car as this is just another addition to my list of customer ill-treatment so far.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, I was down for week 15, and it's already built. Thanks for the heads-up regarding the commission number. The final phase of anticipation can now begin... [:D]

·
Registered
440 Posts
Mine is at Checkpoint 4 Engine and Body check, heading for the Paint shop

They said it will probably not be finished until next week [:(]

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Has anyone any idea how long it takes to build a modern hatchback? Once a say a bonnet or wing is stamped out and taken off the parts rack how long before it emerges as a finished vehicle? I would be surprised if it was longer than a day TBH, all this VW stuff about build and check stages has to be BS, its a modern production line for goodness sake.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts