Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can anybody help me understand how to get my website higher in the list on Google.

Set the site up around 4 months ago and am using Google Analytics and did point Google to the site but still nowhere in the list :(

If anybody can help it would be the bestest [<:eek:)]

Code:
<span style="font-family: Arial;">Heres a link if needed </span><a href="http://www.home-portrait.co.uk">www.home-portrait.co.uk</a>
Code:
I would like it so say you typed in "Family portraits wilmslow" I would come as close to 1st as poss, just first page would be great.
Code:
Thanks
Code:
Paul

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
I wouldn't of thought you'd get much traffic from targeting "family portraits wilmsow". Google suggests there's zero people using that search term though in real terms I guess there'd be maybe a few searches per month. You need to target a phrase that will get you some traffic but at the same time is not too competitive

KeywordLocal Monthly Searches
family portraits wilmslow0
photographer wilmslow390
photographer stockport1000
photographer macclesfield390

</col>
</col>

The first thing to do is get your keywords into the page title so instead of "Home Portrait: Welcome" use some thing like "Family Portrait Photographer covering Wilmslow, Macclesfield and Stockport" though ideally it needs to be slightly different for each page.

Secondly you need to get links to your website else where on the web. - incidentally you need to remove the web address from your sig as it's against forum rules. But that's exactly the kind of one way link you want. You also want to use your keywords in the anchor text if poss so an ideal link for you might be Family Portrait Photographer - Wilmslow (there's a free link for you [;)])

Google also likes lots of content so you should get more text onto the site describing services etc.

It's not easy to get on the front page and can involve months of work, you should get there fairly easily for "family portraits wilmslow" but I don't think you'll get much traffic.

HTH

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PJ, that is a big help. Just trying to fathom Google Web Tools atm!

Ive just noticed that some of my keywords are no longer in the text as Ive updated it, this may of caused google to think it was spam??

Thought my sig might of been a little cheeky [:$] have removed it.

Ill look into your advice,

Thanks again

Paul

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
As this site has such a strong presence on google and is crawled hourly, I'm not surprised.

But it's not a bad sign. It shows how easily the results for that search query can be manipulated. But it also backs up what I said about "Family Portraits Wilmslow" not being a competitive search term. If it was competitive it would be much harder to influence the results that quickly.

Use the google keyword tool to work out a more searched for phrase - but not too competitive other wise you'll never get on the front page.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took your advice and went for Stockport [Y]

Ill have a look at the keyword tool too.

Managed to point Google to the site index, thought I had done this months ago but I did it wrong! Dont know if it will help but worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
3,497 Posts
Well my fantastic advice has got you to your fist goal of page one of google. [:D]

Family Portraits Wilmslow

you're also showing page one for

Family Portraits Stockport

So by building you backlinks you should be able to rank for "Photographer Wilmslow" and "photographer stockport". It may take some work but shouldn't be too hard. Just ask if you want any more help.

The other thing you can do is list your site with Google Places. These are the local maps listings that are appearing in search results more and more. And they are very useful for local businesses.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Thanks PJ

I noticed page 1 too [<:eek:)]

Fantastic advice, the day before I got to page 12 and got bored of looking [Y]

Ill have a look at Google Places, thanks for the tip-off.

Mr Happy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts