Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just placed an order for a K&N Typhoon with Motorsport World. They RRP at ?299.99, MSW had them for ?255 delivered but I managed to price match this for ?234.52 delivered. Expensive I know but I'll be keeping the Golf for a few years yet and after hearing Shuimings' I just had to have one. It should hopefully arrive in around 4 days. After I placed the order I thought "ahh what have I just done?!?" but I played Shuimings' "driving music" and now I look forward to it. I think I'll also put BOSCH Super 4's and some V-Force in her aswell for the Typhoons arrival. This will be my first ever mod I have ever done so I'm both very excited and apprehensive!

Cheers

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I heard those plugs were good and have been recommended them by Shuiming. Please tell me which plugs are better as although it's only a 1.6 I still want to get the best available parts for it. Being a well respected tuner though I look forwarded to hearing what you recommend.

(no offence taken, plugs haven't been bought yet it's just what I've read[Y])

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will be my first ever mod I have ever done so I'm both very excited and apprehensive!

Cheers
Welcome, you've caught the Dub-Bug.[<:eek:)]

Thanks, I've found myself already planning other things I would like to do hear and there he he!

·
Registered
658 Posts
In truth i stick to original plugs and change them yearly but i do beleive some of the traders like big boys toys, awesome etc etc do carry uprated plugs so maybe give them a message on there relavent sections of the forum as they will know more about the options than me.

I can only speak from a testing point of view and on the dyno ive never seen a single gain on the 4 prong plugs but ive seen plenty of losses :(

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any plugs on cars you've dynoed where you've thought "they seem to be better than oem ones"?

·
Registered
658 Posts
No.

Ive never found a gain from an aftermarket plug but then all i have ever really tested is the difference between either a bad plug and an oem plug and some crappy aftermarket plug and an oem plug.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the Typhoon arrived today so I'll fit in during the weekend as a break from Uni revision [Y]

One thing, it's the exact same Typhoon kit as Shuiming's and from the same company but I just noticed on the cone filter it says for racing/off-road use only [:S] What's that all about?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what I thought! K&N claim 11bhp at 5200 rpm so a 10% gain at most, but it is the same as Shuiming's and it just has a note on the box the cone filter is in saying "racing or off-road use only" lol. Bring on Sunday! [:D]

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Posted Image

It says "Intended for off-road racing or marine applications ONLY. Not intended for use on emission controlled vehicles".

Posted Image

There's the cone filter itself.

Posted Image

And again

Shui's Typhoon

And that's Shui's.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After reading the instructions before fitting tomorrow, it says that I should disconnect the -ve terminal of the battery for installing the kit. Does this mean it will resest the ECU and will I need to perform a TBA because I don't have VAGCOM? Also should I leave the car to just idle for 10 minutes after reconnecting the battery?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well folks, last night I fitted the Typhoon to my wee 1.6. First of all for someone who knows naff all about cars I found it surprisingly easy to fit and had it on in 30mins [Y]

When I turned the car on it gave off a slightly deeper engine note than usual but as soon as it was running you wouldn't know it was there apart from a slight whistle/sucking noise of the air going through the unrestricted tube. After giving the throttle a few blips you definately know it's there! Gives a very nice growl along with a nice sucking noise. After leaving my drive I thought it was pretty quiet, until I got out on to the main road. I was actually quite shocked at how loud it was at first, because when you rev it hard it sounds mental! Starts off as a low down burble and leads on to a full induction roar, at around 5000rpm the induction roar subsides a bit and the whistleing noise you get from turbo's becomes very apparent! However if you drive the car as you normally would (which for me isn't hard acceleration), then you wouldn't really hear it apart from the odd low pitch burble.

So that's sound covered, as for performance the car definately pulls harder with the Typhoon on and the throttle is a lot more responsive, especially at top end! I would definately say there isn't the claimed 11bhp increase (but then again wasn't expecting that) but it is definately noticeable! Haven't had a chance to drive it that much yet and I'm still getting used to it. You would hardly know it was there until you put the throttle past the half-way mark then all hell breaks loose [:D]

Just filled her up with V-Power as she was running on Tesco stuff before so after a couple of tanks it should hopefully make another wee difference.

I don't have the equipment to record sound however Shuiming recorded the sound of the Typhoon on his 1.6 and it sounds like that (although obviously a bit different in real life). Click me for it!

Any questions about it feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer [:)]

Cheers

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
453 Posts
Looks good mate, I know the feeling I got when I first let rip, the sound was overwhelming I just had a huge grin on my face! If I was you I would be tempted to get some 1"-1.5" flexi tubing and hook it upto the vent at the front, send it round the battery and point it at your cone just to get a nice level of clean air going in there, but its probably ok as its well out of the way of the engine anyway! The 57i kit comes with some flexi tubing so thats the reason why Im suggesting it :)

Hopefully I'll get an audio clip of my car up soon and I can compare it to the file already on this page, or a sound recording of your own!

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good idea, more cold air would be good. I also plan to get another engine cover and modify it to fit as I like having it covererd.

What's the best way to do a sound recording?

Cheers

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love looks people give the car now if you accelerate hard. Being a standard looking 1.6 nobody gives it a second glance, however today I had just come through a set of traffic lights and there was a guy sitting in a R32 sitting at the other side of the lights waiting for them to change. He had his window down and was looking straight ahead but picking his nose (everyone knows that you can't be seen picking your nose if your in your own car), so I dropped to 2nd gear and floored it. The Typhoon started growling and his head spun round complete with finger still up nose to see what was making the noise! I have never seen a facial expression like it [:D]

·
Registered
453 Posts
Nice isnt it! Theres nothing like getting attention on the road :D I've calmed down a little now, but I still like to give it some when I see people not looking at my car ;) Its shame for me though as my MPG is seriously low anyway, now its even worse! Still no idea what the problem is but ill have to keep searching for answers! Regarding sound recording, ill probably try with my MP3 player which has a mic built in. Not sure where to postion it for best sound, but I reckon having a window open will help the sound transfer into the cabin more easily :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.