Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally the WD Raptor is available in something higher than 74 GB... the 150 GB Raptor X with clear polycarbonate cover (which took two years' R&D, um...)

Bling, baby, bling!

Posted Image

www.wdraptorx.com

As my six year old 98 machine is finally creaking on its last legs I think (98 installation started playing up this morning due to something stupid I did, and I can't be bothered to fix it any more - using the 2000 installation I've installed side by side for now), I'm going to get a stack of these new Raptors and my next desktop machine will have RAID, mmm...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Nice bit of kit, bet they cost a fortune though. My own one cost about ?90 and is only the 36Gb one.

·
Registered
446 Posts
?240 from ocuk - ouch..

Only issue I have with the raptors is noise, when they sort that I might consider them for a future system.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
When IBM launched its DeskStar 75GXP 75 GB drive six years ago I had to have one, purely for the ridiculous concept of having a drive of that size when 35 GB was considered astronomical. It cost me ?390+VAT and that was at trade price because I worked in a computer shop! Ditto my Pentium III 933 cost me ?514+VAT [:S]

However, that system has served me to this day.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Raptors are a lot noiser than other drives though it has to be said. Especially on a wooden floor as I noticed when I went round someones house to install the PC I had just bought them.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Chuck a few of those onto one of these, mmm, nice and fast!

Posted Image
Coooool!!! .... what is it? lol! hmmmm guess its a raid card of some discription? what slot type is that it fits?

Just a bit off topic I still have a couple of Adaptec 2940 SCSI cards kicking about... would they be worth while or faster if I fitted them instead of my current SATA set up?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have the 74Gb 10k rpm Raptor and must say it's quite noisy, but since I have a noisy system anyway it doesn't matter...But boy is it fast!!!

I run it for win + progs and use a 5.4k drive for data (mp3, music, work etc) and the difference is veeeeeeeeery noticeable!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep that's a RAID controller, and it has a 64-bit PCI interface, which is absolutely necessary to handle the high throughput of a striped array. It's backward compatible with old style 32-bit PCI (look at the edge connector and you'll see it's basically just a few extra connectors in addition to give it the extra 32 bits plus control signals and stuff - when plugged into an old 32-bit PCI bus those extra connectors just overhang the slot) but then you choke it down to 133 MB/s which is shared with everything else on the bus. Striping just two Raptor drives on that controller gives you well over 120 MB/s, stripe three and you're looking at over 180 MB/s!!!

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Hmmmm cant think of a mobo I've seen that has 64bit PCI? guess its more of a server thing? what about 3gb SATA2 seen theses cards for ?15 at my local wholesale counter... any good? would it be worth buying a SCSI disk for my old 2940 PCI card? aahhhh so many questions!! lol!

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shiu - do you spend a lot on personal computer equipment?
Yes - just not my own money [6]

I just get told, "Here's what the customer wants, spec it up, build it and document it... oh and tell us how much it'll cost" [:D]

My own system at home is six years old now, I did spend a fair whack on that, over ?3.5K at the time but it's served me well. Biggest cost factors there were the CPU (PIII 933, ?514!!!), IBM 75 GB hard disk, 21" FD Trinitron monitor and a Creamware Pulsar II professional audio card (6x Analog Devices SHARC 21065 32-bit DSPs, as used by the Tag McLaren AV192R A/V processor which has only one!)

Posted Image

If 6 DSPs ain't enough you can get a bigger board with 15 DSPs, and stack 3 of them for 45 DSPs!!!

However, that system is creaking at the seams now and I'm looking to build a new one, problem is I now won't settle for anything less than RAID and all that stuff, so it's gonna be big expense time again [:'(]

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmmm cant think of a mobo I've seen that has 64bit PCI? guess its more of a server thing? what about 3gb SATA2 seen theses cards for ?15 at my local wholesale counter... any good? would it be worth buying a SCSI disk for my old 2940 PCI card? aahhhh so many questions!! lol!
Yes it's mainly a server thing - here's the current board I use for servers, MSI E7320 Master A/2 (SATA RAID 0/1, the S/2 has SCSI RAID instead)

Posted Image

Those ?15 SATA cards will be host adapters only, no RAID function. Cheapest SATA RAID controller I've seen is Adaptec's 1210SA, about ?35 for RAID 0/1. In fact I had to use one last week to build a VMware server platform on a boggo P4 board. Flies [Y]

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
My Mobo has SATA RAID on it.... would it be worth using that or buying a 3Gb SATA card instead?... hmmmm thing is I seem to remember HDD's have to match? the one I have is a WD 80giger... suppose I could buy another 2?

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If your motherboard has it on-board, use that. If it's well designed or uses, for example, Intel's ICH5R or ICH6R controllers, the data stream gets fed straight into the system's core data paths rather than choking down the PCI bus as would happen if you plugged in a PCI card. The higher speed SATA II is more of a peak bandwidth thing, in reality your drives will never reach that in sustained transfers (reading/writing to/from the disk versus the drives' on-board cache). Yes just buy a pair of new drives, and make sure you have a 100% backup routine in place! If one drive in a striped array goes down, you lose the lot! That may sound shocking but actually it's no different to the majority of single-drive systems I see, which are simply not backed up!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts