Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a car I'm interested but going to do a fresh insurance quote today I noticed it was coming up as a standard 1.8. Not the 1.8T as advertised.

83600 mentions it as Golf Gti 1.8

gocompare listed it as 1.8 GTI 125bhp

autotrader checker lists it as GT TDI.

Is there a deffinitive way to tell? Email the seller and ask is the obvious one, but what can I ask to make sure he isn't lying?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How bad is the 1.8 non turbo in comparison?

It's basically the spec of a car I want;

heated leather, climate control, and size of car.

·
No longer a Dubber
8,211 Posts
It's a 02 reg, therefore it can't be a non-turbo 1.8. I checked that reg on the My Car Check iPhone app, and it comes up as a 1.8 petrol, therefore it's at least 150bhp petrol turbo.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've sent an email asking for shots. Used a different email to the one from before since I've been in quite a bit of contact with him =P

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
1.8t had wooden trim, and its not a diesel because if you look closely at the interior shots the clocks are higher revving than a diesel looking at the scale of 1,000-3,000 rpm..

·
King Dogger
13,907 Posts
He's saying they stopped making the AGN engine in 200 or 2001 was it? can't remember but be doubley sure, get an engine shot. I've seen a 09 plate poojoe 206 driving around when they were supposed to go out of production in 06/07!!! So get an engine shot to be sure it's not a late-reg...

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well DVLA was saying it's defo petrol. Maybe some of the confusion is due to the tax bunning out/being sorn.

I know with some insurance companies they don't reconise reg plates if this is the case.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Useless sod, got a reply:

hi cars away getting at min but some dvla checks do but it is a gti and try car check text 83600 and reg and its on there ok thanks

Parker also lists the standard 1.8 ending production in 1999. What are the chances the car stood around till the registration date of 12/04/2002?

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
DVLA are useless anyway. When I registered the new engine in my 4motion Golf I sent of the engine number and all the details of the car the engine came out of (Audi S3 1.8t) etc...and they then put it down as a 125hp 4motion 1.8 NA... idiots...

1 - 20 of 95 Posts