Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I decided to wash, clay and wax the car. The sky was grey but it had been dry all morning.

Of course it's tempting fate to get a bucket and sponge out.

Anyway - after applying a nice coat of Swissol Shield the heavens opened and I was left with a car with wax and rain on it.

Was a good bit of work to work up a shine with water + wax but this was the end result.

The second picture really shows the results you can get - even in the rain![:(] **double click on the pic to make it larger**

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
464 Posts
LOL!

Seriously though Irish, to say you did that in the rain, that's fantastic dark colours really do show the shine well. My silver would never get a reflection like that.

Well done.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Very good results, but I cant help thinking you can getting a "wetter" luster using a combination of waxes! - but in the conditions I cant blame you for using just one!

Very tidy.

Also cant believe you put the jet wash on your car!! eeek

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what do you do Oxford? Wax it once with one type and again with another?

As for the jet wash - never had a problem with one. I blew away a lot of muck and other gunk from wheel arches and sills on the car today that a normal hose wouldn't have been able to do. Gunk that might have rubbed back into the paintwork had it not been blasted.

I just wet the car with it, sponge it and jet the suds off.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I find it best to do that (use one type then another). I mostly use a hand glaze first then another type of wax to finish it off, then it adds a little more depth and lasts even longer!

Here is my routine http://www.uk-mkvs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=49835 Not saying there is a best way, just what works for me! [:)]

I have bad memories of jet washes, I used one last year and found in a few areas it had blew a small amount of paint off around stone chips making them even bigger! [:(] So I never used one again, perhaps I was holding it there too long or something. Does sound your doing the right thing by using it in the trouble areas, also I would have thought newer paint can stand more because of all that clearcoat on it!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't do a lot of outside Dublin driving so I have very few stonechips. I did take a little bit off a BMW that belonged to a friend of mine - but it was on a kit and the paint had peeled a bit in the first place.

You've just reminded me actually that I need to get a touch up stick from the stealer.

I would use Swissol paint cleanser too but today was just a quick session.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is a good shine there but I think the lack of Irish sunlight does it no justice.

I have bad memories of jet washes, I used one last year and found in a few areas it had blew a small amount of paint off around stone chips making them even bigger!

Yep, this has happened to me also, as well worsening a chip in the windscreen into a major crack!! (In my previous old car {Fiesta [:I]} I hasten to add!) I think if you fan-out the jet you will be OK, it's if you concentrate the pressure you cause trouble.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah the second picture is fairly mirror like as it is above.

I use the jet setting on the jet wash...I guess you just gotta be careful with it.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Very nice car Irish, good results considering the weather as well. I use Shield as well but you can't get a reflection like that on Reflex Silver.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts