Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got back from two weeks away to find my golf completley filled with condensation. On closer inspection the back seats seem to be so wet that they have spots of mould on them !! I have checked the roof lining and thats dry but cant think of how only the base of the back seats can be wet? Any ideas on which seal isnt working ? There is also some dampness in behind the rear passenger light.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Macdaddy, I think you need to check the vent seals as circled in the photo below, they are very prone to perish

Posted Image

See how this one is knackered. It let loads of water in, and made my back seat bases very wet as per your findings. Also the spare wheel well was flooded [:'(]

Posted Image

This is what you'll see from inside the car

Posted Image

So this is what I did to resolve it, lots of silicon. After I took this photo I went over it with another fat layer of silicon [:)]

Posted Image

and, touch wood, my car hasn't leaked since...

I will probably post this as a 'watch out' as not many people are aware of the potential leakage from this part of the car.

Hope it helps you sir

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I know the answer's going to be "No", but I'll ask anyway. Can you remove/replace the seals without removing the bumper?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Benjie mate, its not really possible to do this job without having the bumper off, sorry :eek:/

Gary, that's the place I work :eek:D - luckily if I need to do any jobs I can snaffle the keys ;o)

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Not to worry, I'm having the bumper off in a few weeks to have it
repaired after some of my shocking parking, so I might get them changed
then - maybe a pre-emptive ??? saving measure?! Any idea on part
No's? Or are these things available cheaper from other places?

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Just bodge them both with silicon like I did, costs pence and to be honest you'll probably never need to remove the vents :eek:)

This problem also happened on my previous mk4 :eek:/

·
Registered
27 Posts
Pat,

I seem to be having the same problem mine is only leaking on the passenger side.

can you confirm the leaks happen even when the car is stationary.

Reason I ask is I dried out the small area beneath the flap last night and overnight there has been alot of rainfall and I checked this morning and the area beneath the flap was full of water.

I have also replaced the gaskets seals on both rear light clusters and attempted to remove the bumper but failed dismally, managed to get the 4 bolts off 2 under the lights and the 2 underneath the bumper, also removed the 3 screws in each wheel arch but the bumper refused to budge.

Are there anymore screws/bolts I have missed, or is there some sort of knack to getting the bumper off, brute force and ignorance does not seem to work!.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Pat, I seem to be having the same problem mine is only leaking on the passenger side. can you confirm the leaks happen even when the car is stationary.

Reason I ask is I dried out the small area beneath the flap last night and overnight there has been alot of rainfall and I checked this morning and the area beneath the flap was full of water.

I have also replaced the gaskets seals on both rear light clusters and attempted to remove the bumper but failed dismally, managed to get the 4 bolts off 2 under the lights and the 2 underneath the bumper, also removed the 3 screws in each wheel arch but the bumper refused to budge.

Are there anymore screws/bolts I have missed, or is there some sort of knack to getting the bumper off, brute force and ignorance does not seem to work!.

Thanks
there should be four little black type clips inder the lights too! 2 each side. get a small screwdriver and put the middle of the clip, as it falls out the bottom and allows u to pull the clip out!

u may wanna also check your sunroof drains, if u have one, as they drain through those vents i think

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
Triman, hi mate [:)] yes it will leak when stationary.

You almost got all the fixings off, check also under the light clusters for the plastic split pin (1 per side) these need to be tapped downwards with a small screwdriver until the split pin falls out. You then remove the insert and the bumper will slide off. The split pins can be retrieved once the bumper is taken off.

Hope this helps you

·
Registered
143 Posts
This is great just what i needed I'm having the same problem at the moment. I went for a drive on a dry day ended up going down a road that had a water burst water pipe on it so it was like it was raining. couple days later i was in the boot an noticed it was wet lifted the floor an the water was half way up the spare wheel. now i know where the water is getting in cos it wasnt raining. or is there somewhere else it could be getting in from underneath?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the info guys...never spotted those little split pin
thingys...even had the exploded diaggram how to remove the rear bumper
from VW and it did not show them on there!!!

Will give it another go and hopefully be alot more succesful and plug that leaking rubber gasket.

:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Finally managed to get the rear bumper off, those 2 split pins were the problem!

Used the same sealant the windscreen guys use to stick in new front windscreens and put a good bead around both flap asseblies on both sides.

Just waiting for it to rain again to test there are no leaks, fingers crossed my boot will be dry again and I can put all the carpet and trim back in....

Thanks for all your help

·
Registered
78 Posts
This is great just what i needed I'm having the same problem at the moment. I went for a drive on a dry day ended up going down a road that had a water burst water pipe on it so it was like it was raining. couple days later i was in the boot an noticed it was wet lifted the floor an the water was half way up the spare wheel. now i know where the water is getting in cos it wasnt raining. or is there somewhere else it could be getting in from underneath?
Hmm, wonder if this could be my problem this vent, my spare wheel well looks like a swimming pool at times and creates condensation in the car when its got a lot of water in it, yes I know its winter, but honest, mop it out and dry the wheel and the condensations gone! One more thing to check could be to check the the bungs in the floorpan under the spare wheel are still ok and not perished like mine were as changing them on mine has reduced the water intake a bit but not compleltly so I guess when it finally stops raining that it may well be bumper off and look at this vent things.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank God I was given the link to this page, seems like the problem I have.

wet spare wheel compartment & back passenger footwell.

Fingers crossed I can get off my arse & try to fix this :D

·
Registered
143 Posts
I still havent gotten the finger out an fixed it. I got as far as taking the floor out the boot to let it dry out in the house. seems to have stopped the tyre well filling with water must be lettin it evaporate instead.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ive just hovered my car and noticed that the rear passenger foot well is soaking wet between the carpet and the floor mat (the top of the mat isn't wet!) After reading this post Ive checked the boot, the spare wheel well and the back seats but they're all dry. Do you think it could still be the same problem as above with the seals behind the bumper, or could it be leaking from somewhere else?

If it is has anyone got a link to a guide for removing the rear bumper, preferably with photos?

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good find this post, I seem to be experiencing the same problems with a swiming pool in the boot. Got my faither to hose the car down while I sat inside (all trim removed) and found it to be leaking from the N/S vent & the O/S brake light. Lucky me. Is it possible to buy & fit new seals DIY style or are you best to just whip out the tiger seal & bodge it up??

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.