Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got water in the passenger footwell, towards the front on the left near the door.

It's ontop of the carpet/rubber mats and it's like a pond in there at the mo!

There is also water under the plastic trim that goes along the door seal up towards the dash , and a few drops of water on the carpet.

Did anyone find the cause and cure for this??

thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
Had your car serviced recently?

Your Pollen Filter Cover is probably incorrectly fitted or broken, causing water to run into the car through teh heater assembly. The cover is part of the plastic scuttle panel below the windscreen and can be removed by taking out the 4 screws holding it to the rest of the panel, visible when you open the bonnet.

Chris

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's on 24k now and its let water in before, think it did it before service once too.

I'll have a look at the pollen filter this aft.

I've had water in the same place on the drivers side, but thats bone dry today! (drivers side does it when parked nose down and water builds up against the lower door seal, might be a similar problem on the passengerside now!)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had it too, driver's foot well fills after heavy rain if its parked facing down hill. Dealer cleared sunroof drain hoses (with an airline) and its been fine since.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a sunroof on mine and i've had the scuttle pannel plastic up and it's all clear under there. And my pollen filter is fine! I drowned the front of the car with water and there were no leaks at all!!

It looks like waters running down the door seal and getting trapped by the rubber bit that is under the door at the front edge and somehow this is allowing the water to build up and get over the door seal and in to the car!. I've recreated it by spraying water at the passenger window for 30mins (ie heavy rain) and it results in water droplets rolling over the seal and the sill and down on to the mat!!

It depends how the cars parked as well, if it's nose down on a slope it'll do it, and if the cars on a tilt to either side then one side will do it. Does need very heavy rain though!.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Windscreens fine, i drowned the car from different positions just to check this. It's defo the door seals and they are in 100% condition and not marked or damaged. Dealers had a look, and i've got to agree with them that changing the seals won't make any difference, but they'll do em when it's in for it's next service if i want, only done it 3 times in 2 years when its rained really hard and the cars been parked nose down on a slope.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Check the intregrity of the seal around the metal panel holding the window reg. It has happened before, where the seal is not too good (post window regulator changes) and it gets in behind there and out from behind the actual door card.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Silly question but is your rear washer still working, mines seemed to lose pressure and i traced this to the hose join behind the carpet in the passenger footwell, VW replaced (or said they did) said hose and 6 months later it seperated again....when i checked it i found it had been tie wrapped, this time i used good old superglue.....[^] problem sorted...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this problem too..Noticed it recently

Water in passenger footwell - no where else.

Have changed the pollen filter housing and filter.

Have sealed the inner pass side door card with silicon.

Thing is - Am fairly sure a puddle appears in the pass. side, when it has not been raining and concerned this may be something more sinister/expensive. Havent used the air con for a while either.

Any ideas guys would be great - thankyou.

Mark

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi,

had is problem as well recently i park my car nose up from the driveway, and notice water on back of the driver side footwell, last night my friend check it and we did the "water test" and found out if pouring it on the windscreen that is where the water is going in from the front to the back on the drivers side.

doors sills are intact and dry, had recently service the car from garage last last nov or dec..

we check the wires under the steering wheel and fuse they are dry

check the side windows on the drivers side door and back no indication of leak

couple of questions:

1. where abouts is the pollen filter so i can check it aswell (sorry noobie question)

2. is it possible if the rear wind screen washer is the sourse of the leak aswell?

3. where are the drainage links infront of golf...(im thinking the drainage where stuck with leaves and twigs hence the spill inside.

the plan at them moment is to have thw windscreen reseal and change doorsill and look for new foam the one under the carpet as the front has molds on

chers for any help you can advise guys

ryan

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
I have water in drivers side - I'm always parked nose down on hill - Sills and bulk head dry - the way I'm parked would take the water away from the sill i.e. leaning toward the off side. I have checked the door drain holes next step is wipers off and get the trim off around the screen - any does and don't's when prising this off, where's the best place to start please.

·
Registered
601 Posts
hi,

had is problem as well recently i park my car nose up from the driveway, and notice water on back of the driver side footwell, last night my friend check it and we did the "water test" and found out if pouring it on the windscreen that is where the water is going in from the front to the back on the drivers side.

doors sills are intact and dry, had recently service the car from garage last last nov or dec..

couple of questions:

1. where abouts is the pollen filter so i can check it aswell (sorry noobie question)

2. is it possible if the rear wind screen washer is the sourse of the leak aswell?

3. where are the drainage links infront of golf...(im thinking the drainage where stuck with leaves and twigs hence the spill inside.

the plan at them moment is to have thw windscreen reseal and change doorsill and look for new foam the one under the carpet as the front has molds on

ryan
if your getting water in the driver side footwells. Try opening the bonnet, follow the bonnet catch cable back to where it goes into the car, and there should be a rubber grommet where the cable enters the interior. make sure this is correctly seated (water will come in through here and mount in the rear footwell as its the lowest point of the car). all the water channels down the windscreen and gets into the interior through that hole

happened to me recently

·
Registered
84 Posts
hi,

couple of questions:

ryan
if your getting water in the driver side footwells. Try opening the bonnet, follow the bonnet catch cable back to where it goes into the car, and there should be a rubber grommet where the cable enters the interior. make sure this is correctly seated (water will come in through here and mount in the rear footwell as its the lowest point of the car). all the water channels down the windscreen and gets into the interior through that hole

happened to me recently
thanks norman will check that and get back into this thread, im running out of ideas as to where its coming from and its a pain to see water inside, i dried the carpets using a heater dryer today but once i have source out the fault or the leak will change the foam carpet underneath to prevent possbile smell which will be awful come the hot summer days.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
when i used to work at vw this used to be really common problem with mk 4's and passats, itll be the pollen filter housing seal, i'd do it asap because the conveniece centre is under pass side carpet, if the water gets in you will have to have the wiring sorted and poss a new control unit.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
if your rear washer isn't working they used to pop off behind boot panel where the pipe goes on the jet and in the 'd' pillar behind trim

·
Registered
84 Posts
if your rear washer isn't working they used to pop off behind boot panel where the pipe goes on the jet and in the 'd' pillar behind trim
thanks for the info doug, will check this aswell!!! [:D]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts