Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

Wasps!!! help & a fresh pair of pants needed.

2K views 25 replies 16 participants last post by  Vwwwwwing 
#1 ·
Holy crap! I'm in the middle of decorating the house and we've got these cast iron air vents that have been painted up for years... took it off and there's the mother of all wasp nests. Hundreds of them swarming for me.

Needsless to say I took it like a man and ran for my life and taped the door up.

Pest control are on their way - but what do I do if they get out?

#6 ·
This happened in our loft.. you normally can call out the people from the council and they take care of it for £50+ depending on how big the job is... they normally spray poison and they die instantly.. so maybe worth giving them a call or even some independents in the yellow pages..

Sat [y]

#9 ·
Get yourself a pair of thick overalls (with a hood), goggles, gloves and a dust mask. Put a wheelbarrow as close as you can to it and put a good bit of petrol in it. Get a shovel and go gung ho! Scoop the nest into the barrow and set it alight, then go to work on the rest with raid. It will take you 5 mins tops and you can be back indoors with the tape out.

Good luck!

#11 ·
That aside, they are an amazing insect though. at the begining of summer you often see one of those huge wasps that sound like a bumble bee flying around, thats actually a queen wasp looking for a nest, the only surviving wasp over winter and will produce on average 10,000 wasps to make up a nest! Good thing is they never return to the same nest.

#12 ·
Good thing is they never return to the same nest.
Well they did in my house!!! Since we moved in about 5 years ago, there are loads of wasps looking for placing to live around the roof because we had to remove a massive nest when we moved in!

Also, I'm not sure all these suggestions about flame throwers and burning them etc is such a good idea. You will most likely just burn the house down!

#13 ·
Got shut of the scary mofos! some dude did an emergency call out for the princely sum of £40 and sent them straight to hell! Evil bloody things.

I took the vent off and it just looked like it had been filled with expanding foam, took a minute to register and then I saw the blighters crawling on it and then they swarmed out in a cloud... I was doorbound like a shot, don't think I've ever moved so fast! It was amazing when the guy showed it to me, it was the size of a big shoebox and he reckoned there could have been anything like 7-800 of them knocking about. Luckily I didn't take the door off for some reason as I had done first with the 3 other rooms I've done so far otherwise I'd have been posting from some Motel Alan Partridge style.

#14 ·
Good thing is they never return to the same nest.
Well they did in my house!!! Since we moved in about 5 years ago, there are loads of wasps looking for placing to live around the roof because we had to remove a massive nest when we moved in!

Also, I'm not sure all these suggestions about flame throwers and burning them etc is such a good idea. You will most likely just burn the house down!
They will never use an old nest, but there are lots of places in a house for new nest though.

#15 ·
That aside, they are an amazing insect though. at the begining of summer you often see one of those huge wasps that sound like a bumble bee flying around, thats actually a queen wasp looking for a nest, the only surviving wasp over winter and will produce on average 10,000 wasps to make up a nest! Good thing is they never return to the same nest.
Attenborough stuff aside, they are still pointless pests and I would rather see them all dead.

#16 ·
That aside, they are an amazing insect though. at the begining of summer you often see one of those huge wasps that sound like a bumble bee flying around, thats actually a queen wasp looking for a nest, the only surviving wasp over winter and will produce on average 10,000 wasps to make up a nest! Good thing is they never return to the same nest.
Attenborough stuff aside, they are still pointless pests and I would rather see them all dead.
Very untrue, they should be respected as they do nature a good service by keeping insects down to a minumin which prevents damage to crops and the like, they are there for a reason. Having said that i do hate them, have been stung a few times for no reason.

#18 ·
Aaarrrghhhh!!! I hate the bl**dy things!

That was a good one about if you can just get a slight gap and fire some raid or something into the room and leave for a bit. Or wait for the pest control people, tell them where it is, then hide somewhere safe til its all over.

With regards to them getting out, if its only under the door (you could roll a towel up to block it) not many can get out at once, not like a swarm of them, so just stand by with a fly swatter and nail em as they crawl out.

I would personally nuke the site from orbit - its the only way to be sure! [;)]

#22 ·
This is why I LOVE spiders.... Spiders DONT sting or bite... and they eat all the nasty things like wasps and flys...
No, not in this country!. However, was watching something a good while back about how some of the spdiers being transported over in bunch's of banana's and stuff could actually start surviving in our country in about 20 years, due to climate change.

So could be that we start having trarantula's and other nasty spiders, such as the bird eaters!

I'd have to buy a house on stilts I reckon, and the stilts would have some kind of spider catching trap on them!

#23 ·
Did the emergency dude torch them?

You have just killed 700 living creatures [:(]

...that sting! Well done!!! [:D]
Oh aye, he went in there with some combats and a beekeeper type top on and kicked ass. Took in some foamy stuff and then some smoke to kill the little blighters. All I heard as I cowered downstairs was various expletives and then a satisfactory "ha!"

They're gonna burn in hell!

#24 ·
Did the emergency dude torch them?

You have just killed 700 living creatures [:(]

...that sting! Well done!!! [:D]
Oh aye, he went in there with some combats and a beekeeper type top on and kicked ass. Took in some foamy stuff and then some smoke to kill the little blighters. All I heard as I cowered downstairs was various expletives and then a satisfactory "ha!"

They're gonna burn in hell!
What a brilliant example of a man you are! Wuss [:D]

LOL, one of those situations where you feel so small! Mindyou, I feel small all the time [:p]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.