Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a boring thread I'm afraid, but it's bugging the hell out of me !!! Dont think I'm alone either !!

I have a two door golf and I wash it by hand at least once a week. Every time and I cannot stop it, I get a stream of water, which runs down from the back window, just behind the doors. I know its from the window seal, but no matter how many times I dry it, it just keeps flowing down the side of the car.

Now this sounds like nothing, but yesterday I noticed a long white streak where it has been drying, since our water is so hard and limey. I'm worried that this will stain the paintwork.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? How do you stop that annoying water stream ?? It is really bugging me !! HELP.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
This is common with all 3 door Golfs.....had it on both mk4's i've owned.

I think I read somewhere that you place a matchstick under the rubber which soaks the water up or something?

p.s. moved this to the detailing forums.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I know what you mean, I have a 3 door and get EXACTLY the same thing when washing, but oddly only on the drivers side. Very annoying when 'shammying' as you keep drying that streak and it just keeps coming back.

And yeah, I do also get the white line sometimes when it dries too.

Sorry though, in answer to your question - I dont know how to stop it!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
im the same wash mine every week what i do is leather it all off then run the leather into the grove and run it along then place some tissue paper where it runs down ie between the window and paintwork and leave it there for 10 mins and it soaks any water that was left so no more white strips down the side of my car [:D]

·
Registered
875 Posts
You just need to put a matchstick under the seal in the corner where
the water runs out when you start drying the car and by the time you
finish leathering the car most of the water has run out.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies peeps, I'm gonna go with the matchstick method, plan A.

Plan B, will be the Tissue method !!

Wow, I love all this technical wizadry !!!

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Thanks for all the replies peeps, I'm gonna go with the matchstick method, plan A.

just a little note , i use the tissue one like i said earlier , as found match stick can leave small scratches when placing it there

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

just a little note , i use the tissue one like i said earlier , as found match stick can leave small scratches when placing it there
Right, might be a change of plan then, since she's Indigo blue, I already have a good collection of scratches !!!

·
Registered
792 Posts
I used some kitchen towel, works a treat!

It always used to irritate after you spent ages cleaning to get the water marks, so I'm glad someone brought it up[:D]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Dude i have the same problem on my golf use a match stick to lift the seal then use kitchen roll rolled up along the base off the window that works for me but keep changing the kitchen roll untill it is dry

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I found using a toothpick to be easiest, as it will slide straight under the rubber seal.

Though saying the above, I did this for about 10-15 washes, now I don't
need to use toothpick anymore, I presume the rubber seal and now lifted
a little bit on the corner, prevnting the need.

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
save changing the tissue so often ,

use

Bounty Kitchen tissue, i find i dont have to change the paper
I'll second that motion! But I do have to use it whilst wearing one of the girlfriends dresses... gets some funny looks I can tell you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts