Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I have a bog standard GTI and i doesnt tell me that the washer fluid is getting low. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Seems odd to me as you cant actually see the bottle and there is no dipstick either. My bog standard mkIV 1.8t had a warning light and the MFD threw up a warning.[*-)]

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Not standard. You need to have the winter pack i think?

I have yet to run mine out as I top it up every week when washing the car.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Not standard. You need to have the winter pack i think?
Thats correct Ken. Winter pack consists of heated front seats, headlamp washers, heated winscreen washer nozzles and windscreen fluid low level warning light.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
The winter pack was an optional extra on my car even though I have Xenons and Leather.  However I do have a warning light, I assume my jets are heated too.  It seems I got it for free. Obviously the heated seats and headlamp washers are part of the packs I did order.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Hi all

I have a bog standard GTI and i doesnt tell me that the washer fluid is getting low. Does anyone know if this is normal?

Seems odd to me as you cant actually see the bottle and there is no dipstick either. My bog standard mkIV 1.8t had a warning light and the MFD threw up a warning.[*-)]
I wish you had posted 30 mins earlier as I had just topped the screen wash, IIRC the low screen wash still works without the winter pack a few months back as I approached work the famous dong had come on and I knew I was not low on petrol, I need to wait until this runs low to confirm but you may have done so yourself by then...

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Just remembered, I think you also get the warning if you have Xenons fitted.

Chris should be able to confirm this.

Have you got Xenons Avanti?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Chris should be able to confirm this.Have you got Xenons Avanti?
No, with Xenons and leather upholstery you still only get headlamp washers and heated seats, you have to order the 'top-up' winter pack to get the heated washer nozzles and low level warning light - for a rip-off ?200! Unbelievable isn't it?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Well I got the warning light, it is displaying now. I have Xenons and leather.
In that case you have either got a hybrid/mistake (in your favour) or you have the 'top-up' winter pack (meaning you have the heated windscreen washer nozzles too) but not been charged for it.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Well I got the warning light, it is displaying now. I have Xenons and leather.
In that case you have either got a hybrid/mistake (in your favour) or you have the 'top-up' winter pack (meaning you have the heated windscreen washer nozzles too) but not been charged for it.
No, you get the warning light with the headlamp washers, whether you get those with xenons or with the winter pack is irrelevant. As its a safety feature, its inbuilt with the xenons so you dont run out of water and blind other drivers

If you have xenons in your order, then the winter pack is cheaper cos all you pay for is the heated jets and the heated seats. Although IIRC you automatically get heated seats if you order leather?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
No, you get the warning light with the headlamp washers, whether you get those with xenons or with the winter pack is irrelevant. As its a safety feature, its inbuilt with the xenons so you dont run out of water and blind other drivers

If you have xenons in your order, then the winter pack is cheaper cos all you pay for is the heated jets and the heated seats. Although IIRC you automatically get heated seats if you order leather?
Col- check your fact before contradicting [:p]

The Mk V options list has three 'top-up' options to create the full winter pack where you have s elected other options that contain features from it:

Winter pack in conjunction with leather interior, winter pack with xenon lights and winter pack with xenon lights and leather interior. In all three the low windsceen washer fluid warning light is indicated on the list of items in the top-up pack together with headlamp washers and heated washer jets in the first case, heated seats and heated washer jets in the second and heated washer jets in the last one. I mentioned the last one as being particularly poor value for money at ?200, but if you were correct it would be ludicrous as you would only get heated windscreen washer jets for ?200!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Well I half expected to get the low level warning, as there was a similar situation with options etc. on the Mkiv, but most cars seemed to have it. Mine just ran out, though, with no warning. Sad omission IMO, as this has safety implications. Yet another penny pinching move by VW. [:(]

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Well I half expected to get the low level warning, as there was a similar situation with options etc. on the Mkiv, but most cars seemed to have it. Mine just ran out, though, with no warning. Sad omission IMO, as this has safety implications. Yet another penny pinching move by VW. [:(]
Agree,it's should be standard,if they wanted to cut cost VW could have not fitted the on/off button to the dipping rear view mirror,I can't think of a instance when I would't need it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Agree,it's should be standard,if they wanted to cut cost VW could have not fitted the on/off button to the dipping rear view mirror,I can't think of a instance when I would't need it.
When the mirrors dim, you can tell there is a vehicle behind but not the type , sometimes I switch mine off if a car is tailing and I want to confirm that it is not a marked police car...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
When the mirrors dim, you can tell there is a vehicle behind but not the type , sometimes I switch mine off if a car is tailing and I want to confirm that it is not a marked police car...
Surley if you did that,it's headlights would blind you and you'd see nothing, as thats the point of the dimming,isn't it?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Surley if you did that,it's headlights would blind you and you'd see nothing, as thats the point of the dimming,isn't it?
Surely not otherwise we would have a mass of blinded drivers before the introduction of auto dimming mirrors, or it could be that my pupils are working fine :p

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Surely not otherwise we would have a mass of blinded drivers before the introduction of auto dimming mirrors, or it could be that my pupils are working fine :p
Sorry but I can't understand you rationa'l,you say you turn your dimming off (which surley increases glare) so you can see more detail?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
All rear internal view mirrors dim, most are manual but some are automatic.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Chris should be able to confirm this.
Yep, xenons = warning light and bigger bottle to fill [:D]
Oh no you don?t! The 'windscreen washer fluid low level warning light' ONLY comes as part of the Winter Pack or one of the three top-up winter packs (for cars with leather, xenons or both). Anyone who has the warning light but has not ordered it as part of a pack is the lucky beneficiary of a build error!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts