Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As revealed in another thread, climate control is now an option on the GT. It was standard before but now you have to order it as an option. The price has been adjusted to ?17,320 for the 3-door, GT TDI model so the price increase is not as large as it might have been.

WARNING: if you have a GT on order,unless you contact your dealer you may find that when you collect it only has normal air-conditioning. A similar thing happened last year to people who ordered SE spec cars and the auto lights and wipers were suddenly made options instead of standard spec, they were not on the cars when they were delivered.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Hmmmmmmmm, just called the leasing company as my car was supposed to be delivered this Friday, it has now been delayed to next week sometime. I hope they dont go and swap it out for a car with regular AC. I have waited almost 3 months for the car and if they change this, I will be more than just a little annoyed.

Surely this will apply to new cars ordered after they make the change? If you ordered your car before the change you should still get it with the dual climate control? Or am I presuming too much?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a GT TDI on order with a build week 18, i have a commision number for this, when i noticed the change in standard spec i rang VW customer services to check if the car would have the 2 zone climate control as standard, i was told it would.

The change would only apply to cars ordered after the 18th April.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I think what will happen is that at the factory the spec will change at week x. Anyone who has an order in for a car built in week x, y etc will get the new spec.

What should happen though is that a dealer should call and make you aware of the spec & price changes and let you change your spec.

It is possible (likely?) that some dealers won't be this efficient and some cars will come through with the manual AC.

Personally I would rather save some money and live with the standard AC. Whichy does essentially the same job but without the bells and whistles.

VW have obviously been listening to everyone's complaints on the price of the Golf but something had to give so the accountants took out the climate!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dangerous to assume that, silver - this is the whole point of this thread! When people ordered SE spec cars last year, certain items mentioned above were standard spec at the time the orders were placed. Between their ordering the cars and them being built the standard spec was changed to exclude those items. many cars were delivered without those items because at the time they were built they were neither standard nor had the items been ordered as options.

I am sorry to spell it out in baby speak but this is what happened last year in a similar situation as some members here will attest.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote: posted by bbdivo on 19/04/2005 14:43:21

Surely this will apply to new cars ordered after they make the change? If you ordered your car before the change you should still get it with the dual climate control? Or am I presuming too much?

You MAY be. The SE situation last year resulted in people collecting cars that, at the time their order was placed, had auto lights and wipers as standard items. These were then made options AFTER they ordered their cars and were not built with them as they were neither standard at the time of build nor were they ordered as options.

I am just sounding a note of alarm to make sure this does not happen with the GT this year - I am sure dealers will confirm all will be well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Information Update

18 April 2005

Subject Important ? Reference Info 251/05 Info 253/05 Reference

Golf price and specification 1 Pages

enhancements Contact

As stated in the above Information Update, existing unconfirmed Factory orders will be moved over to the new specification and prices. On GT models this will include the removal of the 2Zone climate control. If your customers would still like the 2Zone climate control you will need to add this as an option to the order. This change will need to be made before close of business Tuesday 19 April.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by Mark V on 19/04/2005 14:28:16

As revealed in another thread, climate control is now an option on the GT. It was standard before but now you have to order it as an option. The price has been adjusted to ?17,320 for the 3-door, GT TDI model so the price increase is not as large as it might have been.

WARNING: if you have a GT on order,unless you contact your dealer you may find that when you collect it only has normal air-conditioning. A similar thing happened last year to people who ordered SE spec cars and the auto lights and wipers were suddenly made options instead of standard spec, they were not on the cars when they were delivered.

Hmmmmmmmm! You probably came across my thread then as I was one of those suckers that lost out with my order on an SE specification which changed in the interim. Good old dealers, I say. Still sometimes I do wonder whether all these more intricate accessories are ultimately a nuisance if and when they go wrong. Perhaps simplicity is best if you stop to think about it.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Quote: posted by kenl on 19/04/2005 15:02:13

What should happen though is that a dealer should call and make you aware of the spec & price changes and let you change your spec.

It is possible (likely?) that some dealers won't be this efficient and some cars will come through with the manual AC.

Personally I would rather save some money and live with the standard AC. Whichy does essentially the same job but without the bells and whistles.

VW have obviously been listening to everyone's complaints on the price of the Golf but something had to give so the accountants took out the climate!

Your joking of course! My dealer, the inefficient s*d could not be bothered. I did all the research and found out about the changes but did not want my delivery delayed (possibly) as a result of updating the order.

I agree with what you say about Climate Control .v. simple Aircon. I avoid the former like the clappers much preferring the more manual and simpler system - less to go wrong?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Some strange thoughts here. The equipment level was one of the reasons I bought the GT. If I did not want auto lights, wipers, climate etc etc because those pesky things will go wrong I may as well have not bothered.

What about elec windows and power steering? - more new fangled gizmos to go wrong, not to mention trip computers and those daft airbag thingys.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by VWMichael on 19/04/2005 17:00:57

Would it be possible to adapt an order and opt for no climate (ie new spec) and save lots of ???s?

Michael - again, the whole point of the thread is to tell people that this is what may happen anyway, ie: you may not get climate but will receive normal air-con and a rebate. People with orders for GT's need to speak to their dealers and obtain 100% confirmation of the spec they will get on their cars once they are built, unless they do not care of course.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote: posted by Mark V on 19/04/2005 17:28:11

Quote: posted by VWMichael on 19/04/2005 17:00:57

Would it be possible to adapt an order and opt for no climate (ie new spec) and save lots of ???s?

Michael - again, the whole point of the thread is to tell people that this is what may happen anyway, ie: you may not get climate but will receive normal air-con and a rebate. People with orders for GT's need to speak to their dealers and obtain 100% confirmation of the spec they will get on their cars once they are built, unless they do not care of course.

Would I get a rebate of ?910 (reduction on GT) or ?695 (price of climate?

On the VW site, it says "this price reduction applies to vehicles sold and registered from 18th April 2005".

Is an ordered car classed as a sold car?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am just back from the dealer and the salesman that I bought the car from said it was the first he had heard of it. He then came back to say the car, ordered on Friday the 15th of April, would come without Dual Zone and a refund of ?900. Decisions, decisions. Does the dual zone have any features that the Highline computer uses to changes setting ond stuf on the car. It is just that ?900 is alot of money, so was just looking to know if it is worth it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
yeah where is the ?900 coming from? Is that ?695 + VAT = ?816???

I suppose for all those that have ordered the standard spec it boils down to whether its worth ?695 over the standard AC (manual). I think it probably is.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts