Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry about the ramblings but I couldn?t sit back without warning others of my experiences. -

I have now had my vw R line car bra in use for about 2 weeks and I thought I better warn other people who currently own an R-line car bra or are thinking about purchasing one.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>

First off I would just like to say that the build quality is top notch and in my opinion it looks great when fitted to the car.

<o:p> </o:p>

I have to admit that despite using my car as a daily driver I am fanatical about keeping it clean and always aim to wash it mid week and spend 3-4 hours cleaning and detailing it on a Sunday inside and out (I know its sad). After 3 days of use I carefully removed the bra for the first time prior to the mid week wash to find loads of road grime grit and water trapped under the bra but guessed this is to be expected. I washed the car as well as the car bra inside and out to remove dirt etc and refitted the following morning once dry. After I washed the car this weekend I have noticed hair line scuffs and scratches right the way along the bonnet that follows the exact contour of the top edge of the bra. Its clear that despite regular washing of both the bra and vehicle the dirt that is getting trapped beneath the bra is acting like sand paper, (despite the bra been fastened as tight as possible to avoid excessive movement!) . As far as I can tell this is unavoidable especially during this time of year[:(].

So to sum it all up the bra I thought I was buying to prevent paintwork damage is doing exactly the opposite!!!

I currently dont have the bra fitted and am now unsure what I should actually do with it[:|][:'(].

<o:p></o:p>

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I've experienced the same thing, except its just on one side of my bonnet. Looks like a wee bot of dirt got trapped up under the edge, which due to the preasure of the straps, is where the most movement has been concentrated.

It'll buff out though, so I'm not that bothered about it.

The benefits far outweigh the cons!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had to spend 25 mins polishing my marks out and it was only after 3 days use [:'(]<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I don?t have any swirl marks etc on my bonnet so was quite worried at first. I know it has the potential to save the front from stone chips etc, hence the reason for the purchase. I?m just concerned it could do more than light swirl marks in the future. I do really like the look of the thing though [:|]<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
how bizare that this thread starts tonight.....ive just took mine off to give it a clean and the whole front end of my paintwork on the bonnet has BUBBLED!!!!!! not happy at all.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
@ Turbodub

The main problem is the weather in this counrty...

When the weather is good in the UK.... then they are great. When I brought mine back from the USA the weather here was still very dry, so it worked perfectly, but now the weather is wet, the water runs under the bra and becomes a pain.

I think the bra only really works in the summer months.

I've decided to take mine off until it's dry again or I go onto the motorway.

I have a slight advantage that I don't use my car for work and I can choose when to use it, so I don't really get the problems you have. I'm sure someone will buy it from you at the same price you paid for it.

Did you get yours from forum member Cage?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
gary dont worry, where its bubbled is where the badge recess was welded, and surrounding areas, of which another bodyshop did this, NOT ANDY @ URMSTON. i no longer used this other rogue bodyshop anyway. i only use andy. he treats me well there. top geezer he is.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If it?s not just me who has had issues with the bra than maybe I should just be useing it for show use.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Maybe its the combination of it getting wet and road grime, as it stayed dry for the first week of use and I never had any probs. As I said b4 though, preventing moisture collection is unavoidable unless you are prepared to take to off each night to allow it to dry, and even then if your cars not garaged and its raining the next day?.?<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RS Golf - No m8 I bought the bra in the classifieds brand new. Im really disapointed now as it does look good with my caractere kit & smoothed bumpers etc etc. I dont plan on getting rid of it but, I guess it wont be used every day as I first thought. [:'(]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
gary dont worry, where its bubbled is where the badge recess was welded, and surrounding areas, of which another bodyshop did this, NOT ANDY @ URMSTON. i no longer used this other rogue bodyshop anyway. i only use andy. he treats me well there. top geezer he is.
Dude no!! It's not bad is it? We still need to take pics of your car for the calendar [:S]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
If it?s not just me who has had issues with the bra than maybe I should just be useing it for show use.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Maybe its the combination of it getting wet and road grime, as it stayed dry for the first week of use and I never had any probs. As I said b4 though, preventing moisture collection is unavoidable unless you are prepared to take to off each night to allow it to dry, and even then if your cars not garaged and its raining the next day?.?
I only use mine for shows and travelling about. Never use the car day-to-day anyway, and even then hardly when its wet. They do say to take it off when not in use and make sure all surfaces are clean etc.

I came back from the Manny meet yesterday and it pelted it down. First thing we did when we got home was un hook the bra and hang it up to dry. I'll give it a good going over with a s stiff brush before it goes back as it will probably be covered in grit.

·
Registered
41 Posts
hi folks - have any of you guys thought or using paintshield rather than car bra's ?

in my opinion its a much better solution to paint chips than bra's - basically its a clear film that it heat treated to the front of the car - and any other areas that get chips - ie door mirrors - bonnet, front bumper etc. the films are cut for the exact make and model of the car - but the best bit is that its almost completely invisible to the naked eye unless you are extremely close up and know what you are looking for.... i've seen a few golfs done and think it looks brilliant...

www.paintshield.co.uk

cheers,

alan

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Dude no!! It's not bad is it? We still need to take pics of your car for the calendar [:S]
Hey you could use my boring standard looking 150PD that hasn't been cleaned since the Southport meet or my 2.0SDi that goes through automatic car washes and is generally used as a jalopy. Couple of fine choices, though i'd stick wi' Mikes.....

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'll give it a good going over with a s stiff brush before it goes back as it will probably be covered in grit.
What brush the bonnet,,,,,,,,,,,, with a stiff brush[:O].......LOL...LOL....sorry could not resist [:$]

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
I'll give it a good going over with a s stiff brush before it goes back as it will probably be covered in grit.
What brush the bonnet,,,,,,,,,,,, with a stiff brush[:O].......LOL...LOL....sorry could not resist [:$]
Eye wire brush and dettol!! [:D]

Sorry that should have read:
I'll give it a good going over with a stiff brush before it (the bra!) goes back on - as its probably covered in fine grit.

I really must learn to type slower...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts