Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a note to all to keep a check on ALL aspects of your own car. Both Girls and Boys!

Dont just leave it for the once yearly MOT to take a good look around both under and behind! Its NOT just just infront of you stuff you need to look at.

I was having a little look around yesterday... well just because ...well i do... and spotted this. Yes its a 9 inch split on the inside of one of my rear tyre walls.

You can only see it when the weight of the car is on it. so when its at the top it looks fine.

Massive side wall defect.

I dont want to think of the consequences of this splitting further doing 70+

So warning to you all. Get out there and spend a while checking you own cars... Once a year is NOT enough.

·
London Refurbs'
5,615 Posts
Holy sheez thats bad! Glad you spotted before going on a motorway run bud.

Peter

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Your right there buddy! To be honest I dont check mine enough especially before long motorway runs.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Good luck u found urs mate! Monday I was on the way back from uni and bang at 70mph! Luckily I kept control and managed to pull in! Tyre wall had ripped half way round the rim!

2nd tyre in 2 years this has happened! Last year on my old 206 the tyre came off the wheel completely! Not fun driving round a corner on a rim without a tyre!

·
Fast or low and slow, that is the question.
4,607 Posts
Your right there buddy! To be honest I dont check mine enough especially before long motorway runs.
x2

Its something I definitely need to be doing more as I drive 50 miles a day and most of it on motorways.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nothing budget about my tyres...LOl

these things happen to all makes im sure.. just a bad apple

·
I ate a big red candle !!
10,384 Posts
I usually check oil, water and tyre pressures every couple of months but will have to check in a bit more detail after seeing that.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dont go by my fuzzy pic on the tread depth. i know how long ive had them and how far ive been ok... plus its covered in road crud etc...

its all in the angle of the dilly dangle.. treads perfect cheers...

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Nothing budget about my tyres...LOl

these things happen to all makes im sure.. just a bad apple
Looks to me like a Nankang tyre, and I'd put them well and truly in the budget spectrum.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
this isn't actually about what tyres im running its more to get people to check the little things more often.

im sure some people will love to type a lecture about the pros and cons of different makes of tyres. just not here cheers...

Simple as that.

·
Livin' by the sword
5,180 Posts
Well, I've not had any signs of tyre degradation on Avon, Michelin, Continental, Toyo, or Uniroyal, within 1000 miles or even over the life of the tyres. Must be a Nankang thing.

I thought perhaps people would be interested in what make of tyre developed splitting in the sidewall when nearly new?

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
this isn't actually about what tyres im running its more to get people to check the little things more often.

im sure some people will love to type a lecture about the pros and cons of different makes of tyres. just not here cheers...

Simple as that.
yes of course, everyone needs to check their cars regularly by all means. we're not trying to start a debate just saying that the cause of your tyre sidewall being like that is because of the brand of tyres. even good branded ones can go like that but much less likely to do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts