Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I'm new to the forum and would like to replace my Mk2 MX-5 for something a little more family orientated as I now only use the 5 for work commutes and it's not too good on fuel when used in this manor.

I'm from Manchester and booked to see two Mk4's today. Both dealers were interested in a P/X and with a budget of £4,000 and the P/X value, I thought that would grab a decent car.

The first garage I'd booked to see a car at was Barker Mills in Swinton. The guy booked me in to see it at 12pm today and when I arrived, the place was closed and he didn't answer the phone after calling three times throughout today. I've left a message to no reply either. I then trundled off to the next dealer and was quite looking forward to the one owner car with only 62k miles on it, heated leather and FSH. The ad stated "A credit to the previous owner, not many left in this condition" Once I arrived the wheels were completely corroded, the front bumper was mis-aligned, the interior was appalling with deep scratching on everything you would touch (seriously like Edward Scissor hands had owned it!) The windows were scratched up the, the arches has started to corrode and at cold idle the engine made an intermittent "ker-cheer, ker-cheer, ker-cheer" sound. Kind of like the sound Robocop makes when he walks along! :lol: The engine also shook randomly when the noise occurred. Is this normal as it disappeared when warmed up?!

Going back to the poor interior, do all VW's go this way after such minor use? I remember my girlfriend had a nearly Polo from new a few years back and after she had finished with it, the door handles had somehow chipped off and scuffed up really badly. My 5 with 60k miles on it has a nearly new looking interior and I thought VW's were meant to be built well?

I'm looking at a Black GT TDI 130 with 40k on the clock, one previous owner and FSH on Tuesday - wish me luck! :)

I'm also worried about persuing the purchase of a PD150 GT TDI due to the chocolate cam warnings. Has anyone ever actually seen a PD130 let go? My mate used to have a PD115 Golf and the followers on that went so I'm unsure as what model is actually best to go for?

Insurance is no issue and the power of the 130, although feeling quite slow compared to my MX-5 was half decent for a diesel. I can't see a 150 feeling amazingly more powerful in comparison.

Cheers!

Craig

·
You ain't seen me, right?
3,778 Posts
car dealers are a pain, I try to buy private wherever I can because of this. their idea of "immaculate" leaves me cold...re the power issues on the 130 you can always get it mapped. And yes some interior parts do mark easily on the mkiv as they a a soft compound and easily scratch form rings etc... can always replace with the brushed alloy look for sand down yourself as many people have done or vinyl wrap them. I have to comment that trying to get one for that mileage is going to be difficult... but good luck hunting...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Gotta agree about the mileage. Any mkiv tdi with low mileage I would be wary off. TDI are bought to cover distance given the age of the veichle and this I would check for service history old MOT's anything that confirms the mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the advice guys and yes, I agree. I'm wary of the mileages on the cars I'm planning to see too. Both yesterdays cars had 60k on them, FSH and had just had full cambelt kits put on as part of the service history. One had just had a full exhaust too. (The one I took for a test drive)

Is there a year I should avoid? Was it after 2002 that VW acknowledged the chocolate cam issue and fixed it or have post 02 cars (especially the PD150) still had reported issues?

Regarding power, a re-map was always on the cards - if I can find a good car ;)

Perhaps the interior on the one I saw was particularly poor. For example the pop-out drinks tray looked like someone had taken a screw to it and purposefully scratched it up. The drivers arm-rest lid wouldn't stay closed when in the upright position. The fake chrome on the handbrake button had all but peeled off - It stank of being clocked if that was the case. The interior looked like it had 140k miles+

Overall it seems I have the budget for a premium low mileage GT TDI, finding one that is genuine seems like it's going to be a task though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I finally got in touch with the guy from Barker Mills - a one man band that just keeps cars in a lock-up and pretends his showroom opens 9am-9pm 7 days per week. What he actually does is ask you to call one hour before and he then goes down, opens up and preps the car. Once I spoke to him he said he had a last minute wedding to attend and that's why he didn't show up after booking me in for a test drive. I then booked in again to see the car on Monday evening and he said to call again at 7pm. I called at 7pm and he stuttered as his mind slowly churned out another lame excuse. He then uttered that he had someone coming down to see the Golf within the next 15 minutes and that I needed to call back AGAIN within 40 minutes to see if it had sold and if not, I could then come and see it!? WTF! I called it a day and won't be dealing with that joker of a dealer EVER again! Lesson learned.

I then went to RCC in Manchester and they had a nice one lady owner Black 5 door with blue/black cloth interior that was immaculate and the car had FSH too. It was in great condition BUT had at some point had a front and rear end smash and the repair was shoddy. The FNS lamp was angled wrong, the wing overlapped it and the front bumper didn't line up. The paint was also a different shade of black as was the rear bumper too.

For such as popular car, I'm having a hard time finding a decent one at a traders. It doesn't help when they all state that they are immaculate condition. My standards are far from high, but they're in a different league if they think crashed and scratched up is immaculate.

·
Registered
214 Posts
looks like ur the sort of person who wants a BRAND NEW 8/9yr model old car, without a dent/ mark or any signs of wear or tear they dont exist mate, but if u look hard enough there's a few out there for buyers who live in the real world,

private sales, one on ebay only done 55k odd miles, i was watchin the auction as im plannin to sell mine around mid year so gettin a idea on price's, as i checked last year and they still hoverin around 5k for a mint low miler;

Item number: 140498998330

i too have one 45k mileage one owner b4 me, owned for 3yrs done around 3k miles in that time!

thanks

·
Registered
214 Posts
privates are just as bad as car dealers, at least witha dealer u get a comeback, ive known plenty of people to buy cars off privates only to find out it was a ex writeoff or mileage clocked and not a leg to stand on with a complaint!!![6]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts