Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked my rear bump stop today and one is shot.

Does anyone have a spare set of rear damper bumper stops for a MK4 Golf.

PM me if you do.

Cheers
Ray

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
they're ?15.25 each

tow version you can buy

1J0 512 131 - standard

1J0 512 131 C - Sports.

There's even heavy duty version as well

I thought someone might have some spare ones after they're upgraded their suspension

·
Premium Member
25,430 Posts
<digs up old topic>

Resetting my Koni shocks last night we discovered that both rear bump stops are showing signs of damage. Looks like I've been riding on them a bit too much due to lowered springs being used.

Going to pick up a set of the C version sports bump stops and cut them to size, to iron out the ride as it's a bit bouncy on the rear at the moment!

Blatant pic of C version:

Posted Image

</digs up old topic>

·
Registered
373 Posts
Interesting topic, I used MK3 bump stops on my GAZ Coilovers, they fit perfectly but after lowering I am riding on them making it awful.

Going to be cutting a few inches off at the weekend.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Woo... good thread... according to The Phirm mine are wanting done, but suspension malarkey is all Cypriot to me.

Bog standard 5 door Golf SE, bog standard suspension (but thinking of maybe a koni STR.T kit or similar while it's in bits), should I be looking at those sports C bumpstops in place of just replacing standard ones? What's the diff, and what's the craic with "cutting them down"?

Soz for the idiot questions...

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
I take it the R32 suspension doesnt have bump stops or is that what the rubber hat thing is that the spring sits in on the trailing arm?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I take it the R32 suspension doesnt have bump stops or is that what the rubber hat thing is that the spring sits in on the trailing arm?
Correct - for 4WD cars, the bump stop is the rubber bit at the bottom that the spring sits on.

As well as this, my koni sport dampers also have a little rubber insert that lives in the top of the rear damper housing as well - I'd guess OEM dampers have something similar built in to them as a 'just in case' measure, but haven't bothered finding out for definite.

Jon.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Correct - for 4WD cars, the bump stop is the rubber bit at the bottom that the spring sits on.

As well as this, my koni sport dampers also have a little rubber insert that lives in the top of the rear damper housing as well - I'd guess OEM dampers have something similar built in to them as a 'just in case' measure, but haven't bothered finding out for definite.

Jon.
Any idea if the bump stop is different between R32's and 4motion's? Guy who fitted my R32 suspension cut my bump stops down anyway, just wondered if there was a difference thats all.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Any idea if the bump stop is different between R32's and 4motion's? Guy who fitted my R32 suspension cut my bump stops down anyway, just wondered if there was a difference thats all.
Nope, no difference. Part no. 1J0 511 155 D Stop Buffer is common on both R32 and 4Mo.

Jon.

·
Registered
373 Posts
If they are not short enough, rather than protect metal against metal action on extreme compression, they will add to the spring rate and make the ride horrible.

The front coilovers came with bump stops but the rears did not.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Jon.
should the 1.8t golfs have this rubber bit at the bottom that the spring sits on?

·
Registered
4,995 Posts

Jon.
should the 1.8t golfs have this rubber bit at the bottom that the spring sits on?
No they're not 4WD - rear suspension set up is different.

Jon.

·
Registered
146 Posts

Jon.
No they're not 4WD - rear suspension set up is different.

Jon.
Cheers: i thought they should have as there in none on my car but if i grab the bottem of the spring i can move it and the bentley manual shows them ( fig 2

Posted Image

·
Registered
934 Posts
How big a job is it to change the rear bump stops?

I am lowered on koni coilovers so are the sports ones for me or will the standard ones be fine?

Cheers

Aaron

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
<digs up old topic>

Resetting my Koni shocks last night we discovered that both rear bump stops are showing signs of damage. Looks like I've been riding on them a bit too much due to lowered springs being used.

Going to pick up a set of the C version sports bump stops and cut them to size, to iron out the ride as it's a bit bouncy on the rear at the moment!

Blatant pic of C version:

</digs up old topic>
do you need to cut them down, as that would damage them? which end did you cut?

I bought the sports ones from AVS, part number 1J0 512 131 C. It's say's they're 105mm compared to standard ones which are 128mm. So I guess I ought to remove another 20mm to go on to my koni suspension kit?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts