Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think the suspension has been messed with on my car but the 18" wheels and 40 profile tyres are maybe a lot to do with it. I hate the harshness of the ride and am looking at options to improve it. I am thinking of swapping my wheels for 17's. a bit annoying as the 18s have 4 brand new tyres on and I quite like the way they fill the arches but the ride quality suffers. Anything else I can do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
What car have you got? How many miles on it?

Changing the wheels to a smaller size will help. I recently went from 18" to 16" for the same reason. Much better.

Your shocks could be on their last legs. New ones could be the answer.

·
Adrian
4,149 Posts
what year is your car? if the suspension is standard, the shocks and springs might be shot, they dont last forever... might be a good time to look at lowering it a little.

i swapped my lowering springs+standard shocks (knackered) the car came with, for a £150 35mm lowering kit off ebay, and the ride improved massively. but my shocks were well and truly knackered, and the springs were sagging...

im on 17s with 45 profile, and the ride is firm, but comfortable (jamex kit).

·
Registered
915 Posts
If your on standard suspension i wouldnt have thought the low profile tyre would have made that much difference unless your suspension is knackered.

Does it sit low on the standard springs ?

Try putting standard wheels on it 1st and see if its more comfortable, if you dont like it with the low profiles on then i doubt youd like it when its been lowered too!

Mine can be a bit harsh sometimes as the roads here are really crap already split one alloy wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts