Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my bora has the horrible plastic walnut dash trim. is it feaseable to spray it. anyone done this? i should imagine they'd have to carefully prepared and etching primer used.[?]

·
Registered
554 Posts
[:O]Guess it's down to personal taste but I quite like the walnut trim, it would have to look better than something you spray yourself, if not I would go for the aliminium trim.[:)]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Being a bit of a young lad I was not too keen on the old walnut trim?

Couldn't afford the aluminium trim so I painted them the same colour as the car.

I will post up some pics and you can see what you think?

It isn't a mint job but it was the best I could do!!

I think it's a bit different.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Sorry mate, I wasn't meaning to be rude, I apologise to you and all other Walnut trim owners.

I am afraid that it's just not my preference, just like Lexus Rearlamps!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheers baker21, i look forward to seeing them. i suppose at 37 im an git but dont like the walnut.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
As promised here are a few pics, not particulary clear but I think that you get the idea?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ok it's not R32 Aluminium trim but I think it looks better than the wood?

I also did my rear door handles and engine cover at the same time.

No doubt people will have their opinions but we are all different!!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Hey not bad at all mate. Looks better than you suggested it would. I still prefer the aluminium myself but at the moment I am hobbling around minus an arm and a leg having recently shelled out for said alu.[:D] The price is eye-watering for what it is. If anyone wants to buy my walnut trim when I've removed it all just pm me but bear in mind that I won't be fitting it for a week or two and I live overseas so I can't get it to you by the week-end.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
really appreciate those pictures matey, looks great.a few questions if i may.

1. did you use etching primer after flatting off the plastic.

2.i presume you laquered it after painting.

3. whats the finish like as regards to cleaning.( does it scratch)

again matey thanks alot for your time.good man.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Stev,

1. No I just sanded down the walnut surface a little until I had got through the lacquer so it was rough enough.

2. No I didn't, maybe I should have but the finish I achieved looks OK, it is a bit rough but I was worried about discolouring the paint by putting lacquer on it.

3. It does scratch easily, don't take your stereo out without removing these painted parts as you will knock them, I have done it twice now!! You can clean them really eaily and sometimes when I have the time I give them a recoat to try and improve the finish?

I painted them the same colour as the car, so it looks OK.

Hope that these answers help.

·
Registered
59 Posts
IF you applied a thin coat of laquar it would have been stronger, so it wounldnt scratch so easily. And the colour would have looked better. Its definatly worth the time applying some laquar now. It will make a world of difference.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Not my cuppa tea but I think you have done a good job. As tiger says The laquar will prevent it from scratching and colour will look better.

·
Registered
454 Posts
suprisingly good results there mate.. BUT ! i'd splash out on the proper r-line shifter/gater/surround if i were you, should finish it off nicely

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Cheers for the comments guys.

TBH it has been like that for 2 years now, I just touch it up when needs be? I seem to spend the money on exterior parts and maintainence bits and pieces at the moment!!

Stev - Post up your results mate.

Tigerstyle - Might just do that.

Golgttdi130 - I tried.

Tophuh - I have been looking at getting a decent gearknob for a while now but just can't decide?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
baker. sprayed trim today with compressor in black magic pearl(same colour as car) just letting it dry and harden for a few days before i refit it.will post pics tommorrow matey.[:)]haven't done handles yet because i broke one of the rear inserts getting the c**t off.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 26 Posts