Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question... i am still dreaming about the GTI and trying to see if i can afford one

Whats the current wait time for the car (non DSG) for a factory order

My dealer said 4months.. is the correct??

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
875 Posts
I ordered mine with xenons and the highline computer as the only options at the end of July and it was delivered on the 31st October. I recommend that you go for xenons, as they are much better than the standard ones I had on my mk iv. Mine is reflex Silver. What colour and spec are you thinking of? As this could affect the the time it takes.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Xenons
Highline
CD Changer / Arm Rest

In either black, the non metallic red or the grey

Its all just in the thinking about it stage atm

·
Registered
894 Posts
Could be right,

It depends on whether your dealer has used up his GTI order allocationr for that month.

If you do decide to go ahead you could ring round a few dealers to see if they have a better slot time wise.

Just make sure if you place an order its made clear to you. i.e. you're not in a queue of x months till they can actually place an order with VW then the build wait on top of that.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Crikey Chris, you've only just got the car you've got [:p]

GTI sounds great. "If" I was ordering I would prob go for a stripped one. Only extras I would want are armrest & large MFD.

Colour, black (either solid or pearl), red or silver.

If I were you I would phone all the dealers that you can be bothered to travel to get the best deal. Your dealer saying 4 months ain't bad, you probably waited 2.5 months for your current car.

Have you checked out insurance costs.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL yeah i know ken mate

Insurance isnt too bad actually

been quoted ?680, which yes sounds alot, but for a 21yr old with only 3 years no claims i dont think its too bad

Its really a pipe dream, i am just saving like mad to see what happens, it could be a few months untill i even order

However knowing me, i will get a few k saved up then think

"mmm i dont wanna spend this on a car" and put it in a high intrerest account and put it towards my pot for a house deposit [:$]

·
Registered
204 Posts
LOL yeah i know ken mate

Insurance isnt too bad actually

been quoted ?680, which yes sounds alot, but for a 21yr old with only 3 years no claims i dont think its too bad

Its really a pipe dream, i am just saving like mad to see what happens, it could be a few months untill i even order

However knowing me, i will get a few k saved up then think

"mmm
i dont wanna spend this on a car" and put it in a high intrerest
account and put it towards my pot for a house deposit [:$]
If you take your entire post, reverse it in opposite land and read it back, it would describe my position exactly!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just a quick question... i am still dreaming about the GTI and trying to see if i can afford one

Whats the current wait time for the car (non DSG) for a factory order

My dealer said 4months.. is the correct??

Cheers

Chris
Three weeks ago the official waiting time in Australia was a maximum 6 months.

As of today, officially, it's now a minimum 8 months.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
That sounds really good for insurance. I doubt many people, even old farts would be below ?500.

Good on you for being able to save so much.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good on you for being able to save so much.
Cheers fella, not got that much saved yet, but certainly on track

The advantage of no out goings (apart from mobile)
Car sharing with a mate to get up2 uni in the boro (only been going once a week, for the last month and a bit as i have finished all the course work so didnt need to attend [:D])
Going out less, only been out once this month, instead of my normal twice a week

So the little money from my part time job is going along way [:D]

·
Registered
14 Posts
This is unbelieveable (wait time that is, presumably for a list price deal!) my friend ordered a brand new GTI five door plus leather, metallic, UK spec (RHd etc) in Denmark for ?17,000 all in incl VAT at the end of November, I couldn't wait so ordered mine from the sheffield guys - Motorsave or something similar,five door UK spec, cruise, tyre pressure sensors, winter pack (heated seats), red, the convenience pack - armrest, rain sensing wipers and wlecome home / auto lights for ?18,300 - 3 week wait (last September!

This was after being quoted four months at my local VAG dealer for a list price no discount sir deal!

I suggest you vote with your feet, long waits and top dollar prices, they don't deserve your custom - go to an import broker or direct, look on Volkswagen.dk and email the main dealers in Arrhus or Copenhagen (the two largest cities), you have to pick the car up, but hey Denmark is a great place for a long weekend in the spring

Just my two penny worth

John

P.S. Loving my golf, got 7K miles on it and just getting better and better (faster ad faster ;-)), including an overnight dash to Val d'isere for new year skiing -15deg C temps in cnetral France, glad I've got heated seats :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Where have you gotten your insurance quote from? I'm 23 with 4 years no
claims and the car will be kept in a locked/alarmed garage and I can't
get below ?800 from anyone!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Elephant was my insurance company,

But on second look, it was for a 10month policy not a 12month [:mad:]

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Elephant was my insurance company,

But on second look, it was for a 10month policy not a 12month [:mad:]
Still seems very cheap... a 21 year old wouldn't get cover on a new GTI in Ireland.

Some places wanted me to be 30 even though I own the car and have cover!

5 years NCB and I'm paying E1900 in Feb at 24.

·
Registered
139 Posts
tyre pressure sensors, rain sensing wipers and wlecome home / auto lights for ?18,300 - 3 week wait
These are all standard?
Yep, it's like VW's annoying hadbit of listing EVERYTHING the car has,
have a look through VW.co.uk used section to get an idea; they even
list the rev counter as spec.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crikey Chris, you've only just got the car you've got [:p]

GTI sounds great. "If" I was ordering I would prob go for a stripped one. Only extras I would want are armrest & large MFD.

Colour, black (either solid or pearl), red or silver.

If I were you I would phone all the dealers that you can be bothered to travel to get the best deal. Your dealer saying 4 months ain't bad, you probably waited 2.5 months for your current car.

Have you checked out insurance costs.
I took delivery of mine last May and kept it as basic as possible (Metallic, 5 doors, sunroof and centre armrest) The armrest is a must, I retrofitted a Clarion 6 CD player (located under the front passenger seat) which hooks up to the original head unit with an interface.(in hindsight I would have ordered the CD player with the armrest as it is good value)

If you are piling on some miles like I am it is wise to excercise some caution when ticking the options list, the car is very good in standard spec and lots of the options don't make much difference come re-sale time. After 10,000 miles there are no options I am missing or wished I had of ordered.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts