Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
E-bay is your best bet - as other people have said about ?40 w/o sunroof, ?60 with. I had a lot of trouble with the dealers not recognising part numbers, so I tried e-bay germany, an eventually got my w8 for sunroof there.

·
Registered
927 Posts
I had a lot of trouble with the dealers not recognising part numbers
agree.

i have researched this across several forums and guides, and every set of part no's seems tobe different!

indeed etka also lists many! Maybe the best option is to go into vw themselves.

·
Registered
90 Posts
newb here to the vw golf scene realy and just wondering what exactly this w8 light mod is and what it does?

·
Registered
927 Posts
@CTD

the mod basically replaces existing mk4 light(above mirror) and updates it with a passat jobbie, giving better illumination and use inc. red l.e.ds!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm a bit stuck! I have the W8 light now (cheers Shaq) and am looking to do the blue LED mod which i have all the bits for (cheers Shaq once again!!)

I've finally pulled it all apart to get to the vent holes so I can put the LED through.

Just confused of where to actualy connect the LED's to?

Anyone done this already? or got a circuit diagram or pictures that'll be a huge help!! or if anyone is in the area that can show me [:p]

I looked on Foxys website and that doesn't show what hes actualy done with the LED's behind the light or where their connected to, any more websites or the like?

Cheers

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump!

Has anyone done the Blue LED mod!? or just installed it and have clear picures of connections - just a lil confused and dont want to play too much! normaly end up breaking things!!

Cheers

·
Registered
130 Posts
Alright,

I haven't done this mod yet but the parts are on the way from Shaq so I'll be doing it soon.

I haven't seen the W8 light yet but what I was planning on doing was soldering a resistor to the anode (positive) leg of the LED. This is the longer of the two legs. The cathode (negative) is the shorter leg and should have a flat edge next to it. Sorry if I'm patronising you but I don't know what your electronics background is. Its important you connect them the correct way around as the LED only allows current to flow in one direction so if you hook it up back to front it simply won't light. I assume you've got resistors? The guide says 1k ohm but you can play about with it depending on how bright you want them. I wouldn't go any lower than 440 ohm though.

I think Foxy's guide then says to connect an extra resistor to each pair of LED's to reduce the brightness to more of a subtle glow. To do this use some wire to connect both positive LED legs together into one wire and do the same with the negative.

This should leave you with two wires to be connected to the power supply for the red LED's in the W8 light. As I said I haven't seen it yet but I'm sure you can either use a snap lock connector to splice the wire or cut it and re-solder. I always keep a 9V battery to hand when installing LED's so I can test them before I put them in the car. Might want to try this at this stage to ensure all the LED's are connected properly.

Once the W8 light is installed and connected the blue LED's should light up when you turn on your side lights. Sorted!

(I'll try to attach a diagram but it might be too big. I'll email it to you if you can't follow my instructions)

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats just what I was looking for! [Y] cheers for that [:D]

Explained it perfectly - I have some electroincs back ground; GNVQ adv in electorics [:$] but this just confused me totaly!! lol

The next question is: I got 4 wires (2 Pairs) (from Shaq also) all yellow - was wondering what wires go into what pin numbers on the connectors - was wondering if ya knew what one went into which

so yellow cable with flat end goes into what connector at what port

Hope this makes sence - thanks again for the resopnce - can actualy get this first part done tonight now!! [:D]

Aaron

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey,

I just received my W8 light and loom from Shaq yesterday (nice one Shaq!) but I didn't get back from work til late so I've only just had a quick look at it.

Have you got the W8 light install guide? If you don't, foxy has done a good one with photos (cheers Foxy!) Shows both the W8 light install and optional LED mod. Try this link to foxy's site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/index.htm

His guide tells you which pin that unconnected wire should connect to. Pins 3, 4 and 5 of the plug should already be attatched and the loose wire connects to pin 1.

Then you need to cut off your old plug and connect the existing wires as follows

Blue-white wire to pin 3

Brown to pin 4

Blue-red to pin 5

New wire from pin 1 has to go all the way along the roof lining, down the A-pillar and connect to the purple wire next to the brown at the back of the head light switch in the dash.

I'll probably do this mod over the weekend so I'll see how it goes. Let me know if you have any problems.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi,Im not interested in the L.E.D mod,but ive got the W8 light and the wireing loom.

First of all,with the wiring loom,do i have to cut any wire off the existing loom(the one that the normal light plugs into?

Secondly in the box there is a yellow wire,whats that for?[:$]

Thirdly do i have to run a wire from the light to the switch for the head lights?

Cheers,

Tarty

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey,

I just received my W8 light and loom from Shaq yesterday (nice one Shaq!) but I didn't get back from work til late so I've only just had a quick look at it.

Have you got the W8 light install guide? If you don't, foxy has done a good one with photos (cheers Foxy!) Shows both the W8 light install and optional LED mod. Try this link to foxy's site http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dgace/index.htm

His guide tells you which pin that unconnected wire should connect to. Pins 3, 4 and 5 of the plug should already be attatched and the loose wire connects to pin 1.

Then you need to cut off your old plug and connect the existing wires as follows

Blue-white wire to pin 3

Brown to pin 4

Blue-red to pin 5

New wire from pin 1 has to go all the way along the roof lining, down the A-pillar and connect to the purple wire next to the brown at the back of the head light switch in the dash.

I'll probably do this mod over the weekend so I'll see how it goes. Let me know if you have any problems.
Thanks for that [Y]- seen foxy's how-to but doesn't show what all the connectors look like after completed.

I'll give the install of this ago tomoz - got the blue lights working [:D] eventualy -Cheers for all peeps help on this - will post again if all goes good with pictures incase anyone else will need help in the future - I'll proberly need some more help myself though . .. hopefuly not.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi Tarty (feel rude callin you that, lol!)

Sorry about the late reply, I have problems accessing this forum from home, had to wait until I got into work.

To answer your first question, did you buy the plug and play adaptor wiring loom from Shaq or just the W8 connection end? If you have the plug and play adaptor you don't need to cut your existing wires you just plug into the adaptor and the other end goes to the W8 light. If you just have the W8 light connection then you'll have to cut your existing wires and connect them as detailed in Foxy's guide and my previous posts.

To answer your second question, the loose yellow wire that you received is should be fitted into pin no.1 of the W8 connector and from there it should run along the roof lining, down the a-pillar and connect to the headlight adjuster/dimmer switch. This will turn on the red LED's in the W8 light when you turn on your side or dipped beams. The guide says you should splice it into the purple wire next to the brown at the back of the adjuster/dimmer switch.

I think that kinda answers your third question too! The wire provided obviously won't reach all the way to the headlight adjuster switch so you'll have to put some of your own in. Solder it and use some heat shrink if you've got the kit, otherwise twisting the wires together and wrapping with some insulation tape will do.

Just in case your after any electronics tools or components (soldering iron, LEDs, heat shrink, snap lock connectors, resistors, etc.) try the Maplin site, they're quite cheap and deliver within a day or two. http://www.maplin.co.uk/?AID=10297371&PID=1413184&SID=ukmaplin3q

Hope this helps, good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Cheers matey.

Thats just made things easier for me[:D],

Ive got the light in now and the connector is the on off shaq(plug and play)

Just need to run that cable to the switch now,but not sure what cable to buy,any idea?

Cheers,

Tarty

·
Registered
130 Posts
Any single core cable will do. You can either get solid or multi-strand. the solid core will be a bit more rigid and will stay in shape when you bend it. Multi-strand is just like any other cable you get, strip off the coating and you'll see several copper strands.

I'm gonna go for that when I install my W8. I bought some light-duty equipment cable from the Maplin site. (If you're interested http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29&TabID=1&WorldID=&doy=20m12)

If you check the spec you'll see its got a max current rating of 0.5A which is plenty for running 4 LED's as they only draw 0.02A each.

0.02 x 4 = 0.08A so you're fine.

Any hardware or electrical shop will sell cable but the range they stock depends on where you go. I found that big commercial shops like B&Q only have higher current rated cable ideal for mains appliances i.e. 13A. Whilst this will still work, its a bit over the top and you'll have to sqeeze in a thicker cable behind your trim. Choice is yours, hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts